Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Trying to get to whole home setup - few questions

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   c073186

c073186

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:09 AM

My current set up includes the following:

- HR-20 (with access to two satellite inputs)
- HR-20 (with access to one satellite input)
- H-20 (with access to one satellite input)

In the end my goal is to have an HR-44 (when it becomes available) and then keep the two HR-20's and connect them together so we have three HD-DVR's with the ability to share/record shows on each. Also I would like to be able to take full advantage of each receiver's capabilities (to utilize all tuners on the boxes, right now one of my HR-20's only can record 1 show at a time as it has only 1 satellite input). So with that in mind I'm trying to determine the best way to be able to do all of this with the least equipment/installs that I may not need. So I have a few questions:

1. What is needed to allow 1 satellite input to deliver multiple signals to one box? Does this change at all based on whether I am doing it for the 2-tuner HR-20 or the 5-tuner HR-44/Genie?

2. Is the Cinema Connection Kit needed? Only the HR-20 with access to 2 satellite inputs has access to ethernet. For what it's worth, this location is where the HR-44/Genie would be, so the Genie receiver would have ethernet access.

3. Maybe based partly on #2, but when my set up is complete, would I be able to record On Demand on all 3 boxes? Or just the HR-44?

Also as a general question, is it overall more ideal to have a Genie box and then HD-DVR receivers and link them with whole home, or to have a Genie and use its clients? I was leaning towards the first, since I already have two HR-20's that I would rather not go to waste and then they can record shows themselves, but was curious about others' opinions.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,233 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:48 AM

1. SWM is the technology that allows a DVR to record more than one show with only one coax input. If you get a Genie, you must convert to SWM.
2. If you have 1 Genie and two HR2x units, you will need what is known as an SWM16. If you order through DirecTV (including installation), everything necessary should be provided.
3. Yes, all units will have access to each other, and to the network.

#3 OFFLINE   c073186

c073186

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:58 AM

1. SWM is the technology that allows a DVR to record more than one show with only one coax input. If you get a Genie, you must convert to SWM.
2. If you have 1 Genie and two HR2x units, you will need what is known as an SWM16. If you order through DirecTV (including installation), everything necessary should be provided.
3. Yes, all units will have access to each other, and to the network.

Will I need a CCK or will the Genie act as it?

Also, I've been a DirecTV customer since 2004 and have not upgraded any boxes since buying the two HR-20's when they were first released. What's the likelihood of getting most of this for free / how much should I expect to pay? Just was curious for others' experiences before I make the call.

#4 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,274 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:12 AM

Will I need a CCK or will the Genie act as it?

Also, I've been a DirecTV customer since 2004 and have not upgraded any boxes since buying the two HR-20's when they were first released. What's the likelihood of getting most of this for free / how much should I expect to pay? Just was curious for others' experiences before I make the call.

You can use a CCK or you can plug in an Ethernet cable to the back of the Genie.

As for pricing, it differs for everyone and there are a lot of parameters that the system/CSRs use to determine what kind of credits you are eligible for. The only real way to tell is to call up and ask.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#5 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,636 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:13 AM

You have to make the call-Offers are on based on your Account History.
"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#6 OFFLINE   c073186

c073186

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:58 AM

Just thought of something else... say I have the SWM 16 and CCK installed now and then wait a few months to get the HR44. Will ordering the HR44 (which would replace an H20) require installation or would DirecTV just send me the receiver and I could hook it up myself? I want to get whole home set up now, but wait for the HR44, but I don't want to have two separate install fees if I can help it.

#7 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,502 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:17 PM

DirecTV won't install a SWM16 with your current setup. You'd get a standard LNB SWM, limited to 8 tuners.

#8 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:11 PM

The only way that you'd be able to install a SWM-16 with your current setup would be to buy it yourself. Even if you did that, DirecTV won't just send you a Genie for self-install (unless the current rules change).

Currently, they will send a Genie for Self-install if you already have a SWM-8 (or a SWM dish) and your tuner count will not exceed 8 with the Genie added. That's a simple upgrade that would be hard to mess up.

However, the SWM-16 is really two SWM-8's connected to one another. There are two outputs and there can't be more than 8 tuners connected to either output. Because of that limitation, it's easier for a customer doing a self-install to mess that one up. Therefore, they don't currently allow it.

#9 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,264 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:16 PM

However, the SWM-16 is really two SWM-8's connected to one another. There are two outputs and there can't be more than 8 tuners connected to either output. Because of that limitation, it's easier for a customer doing a self-install to mess that one up. Therefore, they don't currently allow it.

Although when the installer bought my HR34 out early last year, he "messed up" on the install himself in this regard. ;)

He had 9 tuners connected to one side of the SWM-16 the HR34 was on and naturally it started immediately complaining with 771B (at the time) error messages for an over-subscribed SWM. But the installer just said that message was normal and would go away eventually as the HR34 "settled in." :rolleyes:

When he left and the error message kept reoccurring of course, had to go down in the basement to the SWM-16 and splitters to correct the problem myself.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...