Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

new HDTV, now looking to upgrade service to hi-def

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dseang21

dseang21

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:26 AM

So, we have officially entered the Hi-Def world and bought a HDTV. We currently do not have the Hi-Def service, but to get the locals, we were given an R22 DVR, and that is the only receiver we have in the house. At the time of install, they ran two separate feeds to the DVR, and connected the receiver to my router via cat5. So, now, I want to hook up an HD receiver and upgrade to HD Service. I've been out of contract for quite a while, and I know anything I do will require a two year commitment, and my package is the Choice Extra Classic, which I think they will want me to change. I would like to do one of two things...Option one is to simply replace the SD DVR with an HD DVR. Option two is the replace the DVR and add a second receiver for our second tv and go with whole home DVR. If we go with option one, is the HR34 even an option, or are the only for whole home customers? If we go with option two, I assume the HR34 is the best bet for the primary TV, but what about the second TV. I think I could re-use the R22, but I don't think that would qualify me for whole home. should I go with a C31, or a regular HD receiver? If the HR34 is off the table, which DVR should I hope to get? Our kids are 6 and 8, so we dont let them watch a lot of TV, and we usually all watch together, so I'm on the fence about adding the second receiver. But I want to future proof as much as I can, since I probably wont be eligible for any free upgrades for a while. I don't want to add a lot to my monthly bill, and if I'm not mistaken, the HD service will add $10, and if I add a second reciever it would add $6 for the lease, and $3 for the whole home. Does that sound right? Are there any charges i'm missing? Any help and advice would be appreciated.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,929 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:35 AM

Whole home is not required for the HR34. You can add that on it's own, get the HD service, and then your R22 will essentially become an HR21. You would not be able to add Whole Home in this config, as the R22 does not satisfy the HD receiver requirement, even though at that point it would display HD content in HD.

A C31 would essentially be a full extension of the HR34, allowing full management. It would use a tuner from the HR34 when it's playing back live content, or in the buffer. It can pause/rewind live TV. A receiver cannot do this, but also doesn't use a tuner from the DVR.

#3 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,316 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:10 PM

You can keep your Choice Extra Classic package.

#4 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,053 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:55 PM

Whole home is not required for the HR34. You can add that on it's own, get the HD service, and then your R22 will essentially become an HR21. You would not be able to add Whole Home in this config, as the R22 does not satisfy the HD receiver requirement, even though at that point it would display HD content in HD.

A C31 would essentially be a full extension of the HR34, allowing full management. It would use a tuner from the HR34 when it's playing back live content, or in the buffer. It can pause/rewind live TV. A receiver cannot do this, but also doesn't use a tuner from the DVR.

Question;

If you have an HR34 and at least one RVU client, does that also qualify as the minimum two HD-DVR and HD-STB receiver rule which allows an HD-enabled R22 to participate in Whole Home service?

#5 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,929 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:44 PM

I would think so. At one point there was a special activation that had to be done to get Whole Home on an account with an HR34 and C31, but it is supported. Once that is complete, I would think the R22 would be able to participate.

#6 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,460 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:46 PM

If you decide to add the HR-34 and keep your DVR, I would think that DirecTV might be willing to swap an HR-2x for your R22 at no cost.

#7 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:12 PM

If you decide to add the HR-34 and keep your DVR, I would think that DirecTV might be willing to swap an HR-2x for your R22 at no cost.

There's a very small chance they would upgrade the R22 to an HR2x for no charge, unless they have the option to upgrade to a client at no charge.

You might as well get the extra room connected now and if you want to remove it in the future, you can do that. At least this way you get it setup without having to spend more later.

#8 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,469 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:00 PM

Welcome to the World of High Definition as you will just Love it!!!

I can't stand to look at SD anymore and I refuse to watch it if my wife has something on because it is just so Inferior to HD.

ENJOY!!! :)
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#9 OFFLINE   dseang21

dseang21

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:19 PM

Thanks for the advice. If I opt to hook up the second tv and decide we don't use it enough, can I drop it before the two year contract is up without penalties?

#10 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:21 PM

Thanks for the advice. If I opt to hook up the second tv and decide we don't use it enough, can I drop it before the two year contract is up without penalties?

Yes. There are no penalties for removing additional rooms, as long as you make sure to send the receiver back. They will provide you with the recovery box and airbill.
My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#11 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:21 PM

I am in pretty much the same situation as you. I have an HDTV hooked up to my R22 but refuse to pay $10 per month for HD service and commit to a 2 year contract which would only provide me with one HD DVR-possibly even a reconditioned clunker.

If I ever decide that I just can't stand to watch SD any more, I would probably opt for a competitor's service as DirecTV caters to new customers and gives no programming discounts (or even "free HD for life") to existing customers. The most you can hope for is a new HD dish with installation and an HD DVR.

I'd rather get ALL NEW receivers and equipment and a deep package discount for a year and 3 months of free premium channels plus NO $10 HD FEE.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#12 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:34 PM

I am in pretty much the same situation as you. I have an HDTV hooked up to my R22 but refuse to pay $10 per month for HD service and commit to a 2 year contract which would only provide me with one HD DVR-possibly even a reconditioned clunker.

If I ever decide that I just can't stand to watch SD any more, I would probably opt for a competitor's service as DirecTV caters to new customers and gives no programming discounts (or even "free HD for life") to existing customers. The most you can hope for is a new HD dish with installation and an HD DVR.

I'd rather get ALL NEW receivers and equipment and a deep package discount for a year and 3 months of free premium channels plus NO $10 HD FEE.

You can get programming discounts and new receivers. Easily.
DTV = Digital Television

#13 OFFLINE   dseang21

dseang21

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:12 PM

I'm not to keen on paying more for HD either, but it is an upgraded service. I wouldn't go into McD's and expect to get my "Value Meal" super-sized for free. I just hope I can get some decent discounts since I have been a customer for a while, have been out of contract for a few years, and have never asked for discounts on equipment or programming since the initial new customer discounts ran out.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...