Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Has skip back gotten shorter?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   unixguru

unixguru

Godfather

• Registered
  • 579 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:43 PM

I can't recall when I first noticed this. Could have been when I first got the HR34 last summer. Maybe it is worse now that I'm using a C31 primarily.

It used to be that skip back seemed to be around 15 seconds. Now it seems to be around 5, or less.

I have 30SKIP set.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   grecorj

grecorj

Legend

• Registered
  • 131 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:11 PM

I always thought it was 8 seconds.
HR34-700 --> HDMI --> Sony KDL-46EX501
HR24-500 --> HDMI --> Sony KDL-32EX401
HR24-500 --> HDMI --> Samsung LN19A450C1D (only 1 tuner active)

DIRECTV customer since Feb 2002
HD, WHDVR and ICK since Aug 2010
P.I.T.A. since birth :)

#3 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,983 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:20 PM

I always thought it was 8 seconds.

I seem to remember it being referred to as 6 sec, but either way it wasn't ever 15 sec.
A.K.A VOS

#4 OFFLINE   unixguru

unixguru

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 579 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:44 PM

Ok, maybe my memory is going. My rough measurement is 5-6 seconds. Sure seems less than it used to be.

#5 OFFLINE   Ned C

Ned C

AllStar

• Registered
  • 88 posts
  • LocationRacine WI

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:04 PM

How does a user set it? My HR34 is really fast, especially on a 3xFF, and sometimes even skips forward. Just a little annoying.

Edited by Ned C, 07 February 2013 - 02:10 PM.

If things were easy, we wouldn't be here !!

#6 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,068 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:36 PM

It's been 6 seconds since the HR20 in 2006. It's been tested by several here using the HDNet Test Pattern, that apparently they no longer broadcast.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#7 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:09 PM

I was just discussing that button with a friend. I love and hate that button at the same time. I have a Harmony remote. So, the button that I use for the 6 second reverse on DirecTV is used for the Prev Chapter on my DVD player. I can't count the number of times that I've forgotten that I'm watching a disc instead of DVD and hit that button after a "what did he just say" and end up going back to the beginning of the chapter.

#8 OFFLINE   elbodude

elbodude

Legend

• Registered
  • 174 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:21 PM

Are we talking about pressing the Play button during the FF, that seems to skip back about 6 seconds. Or do you mean the 'skip back' button?

#9 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:11 PM

Its about 6 seconds coming out of FastForward unless its over MRV then it could be much much longer.:(

#10 OFFLINE   unixguru

unixguru

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 579 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:28 PM

I mean the skip back button. Typical usage for me is skip forward (I'm using 30SKIP) several times, overshoot, skip back.

Ads are getting so bad that sometimes I quickly hit skip forward 8+ times and it still drops into an ad so I hit a few more (yes, that's right, 5 minutes of ads). When I overshoot it seems like I have to do a lot more skip backs than I used to.

So maybe it's not the skip back by itself. Maybe it has something to do with "dropping out of warp".

Not MRV but C31 client which may also explain some of it.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...