Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DVR Priority issue...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jgoggan

jgoggan

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:09 PM

So, I just missed a show that we normally watch even though it is high on my priority list. Does the 722 only check priority of shows starting NOW -- and not consider ones starting DURING the recordings? Here's the situation:

ShowA starts at 9PM, is 1 hour long, and is fairly low on the priority list.
ShowB starts at 9PM, is 1 hour long, and is very low on the priority list.
ShowC starts at 9:30PM, is 30 minutes long, and is high on the priority list.

What I expected it to do was recording ShowA at 9PM, SKIP ShowB at 9PM, and record ShowC at 9:30PM. It would then pick up ShowB when it repeats later because it missed it due to priority.

Instead, what happened was that it recorded ShowA and ShowB and completely skipped ShowC (which has no re-run to catch). Even though ShowC has the highest priority of the 3.

Is this just normal? Does it not consider higher priority shows that will start DURING the recording time of a lower-priority show?? :(

- John...

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:06 PM

Your assumptions are correct. If any higher show starts during a lower one that would record, the lower should not record even if it starts first. But all this should have been resolved when you made the timer(s). Something tells me you either ignored the message when you made the timer, which I know for a fact can cause what you encountered, or you answered incorrectly for what you wanted.

Look at the schedule it may give a clue as to what happened.

#3 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 541 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:37 AM

Welcome to the Wonderful World of DISH.

I have been having problems like this for years. Timers suck, the EPG sucks and I spend more time setting up and dealing with failed timers, mad dashes in the hope of grabbing an encore performance if there is one, than I do watching what does get recorded. Tonight recurring issue was end late time not being recorded, listed or added to the timer no matter what one does.

Serious overhauls are in order. Haven't heard, but I hope the Hopper2 doesn't do this?

Attached Thumbnails

• OptionFail.jpg

#4 OFFLINE   jgoggan

jgoggan

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:36 PM

Your assumptions are correct. If any higher show starts during a lower one that would record, the lower should not record even if it starts first. But all this should have been resolved when you made the timer(s). Something tells me you either ignored the message when you made the timer, which I know for a fact can cause what you encountered, or you answered incorrectly for what you wanted.

Look at the schedule it may give a clue as to what happened.

All 3 of these timers have been there for at least a season -- when I created them, they likely weren't conflicts at all. Therefore, there was no message to "ignore" when I made the timers. These weren't time-slot timers. They are "record all new episodes of ShowA, ShowB, and ShowC" timers.

I was never asked anything at any time about these timers. I was never notified of a conflict. Therefore, I couldn't have "answered incorrectly." I only noticed that a show didn't get recorded that I normally watch. So, I then went into the history and saw that it was "skipped due to priority." I then looked some more and realized that it recorded ShowA and ShowB instead -- even though they are both lower priority show.

- John...

#5 OFFLINE   thomasjk

thomasjk

Legend

• Registered
  • 340 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:32 PM

Welcome to the Wonderful World of DISH.

I have been having problems like this for years. Timers suck, the EPG sucks and I spend more time setting up and dealing with failed timers, mad dashes in the hope of grabbing an encore performance if there is one, than I do watching what does get recorded. Tonight recurring issue was end late time not being recorded, listed or added to the timer no matter what one does.

Serious overhauls are in order. Haven't heard, but I hope the Hopper2 doesn't do this?

My Hopper does appear to automatically resolve conflicts at least in one case. I had a timer for Southland and The Amercans that are at the same time. The Hopper automatically moved The Americans to next showing. YMMV.

spam firewall