Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

How long with Directv

• Please log in to reply
188 replies to this topic

#181 OFFLINE   Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 12:49 PM

April 1999.  Acct #819xxxx.  Actually started with Heartland, which was a DirecTV installer/provider for rural areas.

I am NOT a hoarder! :-)  But, for some reason I can't explain, I have a copy of every DTV bill I've ever received plus a copy of the original installation order.  I think early on I discovered it was easier to dispute charges when you could refer to previous bills so I just kept saving them.

Sony 34" HD-CRT KD34XBR970 and Sceptre 40" LCD
Roku
R22 DVR / HR20-700 HD DVR
DirecTV since 1999
Waco/Temple/Bryan DMA

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#182 OFFLINE   since 2/96

since 2/96

Legend

• Registered
  • 123 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:33 PM

since 2/96

#183 OFFLINE   pjb64

pjb64

• Registered
  • 1 posts
  • LocationSacramento ca

Posted 01 June 2013 - 05:57 AM

December of 94 

#184 OFFLINE   pwrmac2

pwrmac2

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 07:09 AM

Summer of 95. Did a self install of 2 Sony Sat A1’s. 

D* Since 1995

#185 OFFLINE   RCVJMV

RCVJMV

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 07:00 PM

January 1994, RCA receivers. Paid a bunch but have been a customer ever since. Think I might upgrade to a SWm Genie system, sounds great!

#186 OFFLINE   rbean

rbean

Legend

• Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:33 AM

Less than two months after they first started broadcasting to public, we were waiting on them.  It was actually hard to find a system at the time.  Don't remember exact date but at the end of August 94 if I remember right.  First account had to be cancelled and reopened after about a year cause they had the account so screwed up.  Paid $1500 for first system, dual lnb RCA reciever, got dish stoen a couple of years later and had to pay $275 for a replacement dish and lnb. Have had them ever since.  Best thing since sliced bread.

There are two sides to every issue, my side and the wrong side.

#187 OFFLINE   rbean

rbean

Legend

• Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:35 AM

January 1994, RCA receivers. Paid a bunch but have been a customer ever since. Think I might upgrade to a SWm Genie system, sounds great!

Could be wrong but don't think they started broadcasting until the summer of 94

There are two sides to every issue, my side and the wrong side.

#188 OFFLINE   lokar

lokar

Icon

• Registered
  • 660 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:15 AM

Had D* since the summer of 1999 when they bought out Primestar just to shut it down.  Capitalism at its finest! 

Primestar was the first service to offer dual feeds in sports packages, something D* has only started doing in the last couple of years.  I wish they had stuck around as they had taken great steps in upgrading their service only to be shut down for posing a threat.

#189 OFFLINE   Special Ed

Special Ed

Legend

• Registered
  • 152 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 01:30 PM

I think if you know what your doing ITS BETTER DOING IT YOURSELF :)

I would have to disagree with DIYS installs .  Did my install and started with DTV around ~2000.    I remember a lot of screaming from the ladder to my kids in the house "Got a picture now!!!...How about now!!! **%$#^".  Finally did get it set-up.  Then my brothers noticed the clear digital picture was much better than analog cable at the time and I had to go through the same nightmare helping them get set up.   

When I switched to HD, the installers did a rock solid install of the new HD dish (might have been a small service charge).  But it was a much more pleasant experience.

I don't see leaving Directv anytime soon.  Two things I like about them.  When a frequent storm knocks out our power and cable lines for a day or three I can fire up my generator at night and watch TV while the cable TV folks bond and tell scary stories. 

The other thing I like is Sunday ticket.

spam firewall