Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Nomad and NHLCI

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,643 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:50 PM

Does anyone know when or if there will be some progress with the Nomad and NHLCI? That was the reason I bought the Nomad in the first place, and its pretty annoying that the main thing I wanted it for won't work (and according to DirecTV's list of exceptions, NHLCI shouldn't have been a problem. It isn't OTA, PPV, or DOD).

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI
HP Touchsmart IQ 846 (Windows 8) for DirecTV2PC and Media Share

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,643 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:43 PM

OK, if no one knows if there has been any progress, can anyone suggest where I could send an email to seek help (that won't just generate a canned, cut and paste email about how I should try rebooting my DVR and my router)?

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

#3 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:44 PM

OK, if no one knows if there has been any progress, can anyone suggest where I could send an email to seek help (that won't just generate a canned, cut and paste email about how I should try rebooting my DVR and my router)?

What's the message you get when you try to load NHLCI games onto the Nomad?

#4 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:02 PM

I am on the phone with them right now. I'll post back if I hear anything.

#5 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:03 PM

What's the message you get when you try to load NHLCI games onto the Nomad?

No message. Just endless-loop transcoding (at least in my situation.). NBC, NHBSN, NHLN and my RSNs transcode OK. CI channels don't.

#6 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:29 PM

Just got off the phone with DirecTV.

What the CSR told me (and "I've confirmed this with my Supervisor"), NHLCI is a paid sports package and therefore is considered PPV and therefore you can't transcode those channels and put on a nomad device.

One of the main reason I got my nomad was because I do a lot of traveling, but even when I'm not, my favorite team is stuck in the West and many of their games are to late for me to watch (Red Wings). Plus last spring I spent around five weeks on the phone with Case Management trying to resolve this (they had me trying different DVRs in my house, SD and HD, RSNs, RSNs that were 'open' because the game was on CI and even a different router. When we finished that, they told me that the nomad was treating CI as PPV, but that wasn't right and they were going to correct that before next season (by this time, the playoffs had started so there wasn't any CI channels to test).

If their information is correct tonight and CI is blocked from the nomad, then the nomad page and documents should expand on their definition of PPV to include sports packages.

But I'm not sure I got the correct answer tonight.

#7 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:48 PM

Just got off the phone with DirecTV.

What the CSR told me (and "I've confirmed this with my Supervisor"), NHLCI is a paid sports package and therefore is considered PPV and therefore you can't transcode those channels and put on a nomad device.

One of the main reason I got my nomad was because I do a lot of traveling, but even when I'm not, my favorite team is stuck in the West and many of their games are to late for me to watch (Red Wings). Plus last spring I spent around five weeks on the phone with Case Management trying to resolve this (they had me trying different DVRs in my house, SD and HD, RSNs, RSNs that were 'open' because the game was on CI and even a different router. When we finished that, they told me that the nomad was treating CI as PPV, but that wasn't right and they were going to correct that before next season (by this time, the playoffs had started so there wasn't any CI channels to test).

If their information is correct tonight and CI is blocked from the nomad, then the nomad page and documents should expand on their definition of PPV to include sports packages.

But I'm not sure I got the correct answer tonight.

Hmmm...I'm gonna try & record NBALP and see if that's the case...

#8 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:53 PM

I thought I read where someone has recorded a LP game and I mentioned that to the CSR. "Each of the leagues sets different policies for how their games can and cannot be used."

#9 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,643 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:50 PM

Sounds like CSR crap to me. I'm pretty pissed that nowhere in their information does it say you can't use the Nomad for NHLCI, or I wouldn't have bought one! It also won't stream NHLCI while at home. It gives me an error that the DVR is already in use (but I can stream anything else I want to at the time, just not NHLCI). Besides, if what the CSR said were correct, wouldn't that mean you couldn't use the Nomad with HBO?

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

#10 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:14 PM

It also won't stream NHLCI while at home. It gives me an error that the DVR is already in use (but I can stream anything else I want to at the time, just not NHLCI).

I hadn't tried that until you just brought it up. I can watch some of the CI games via Nomad's new "Watch Now" button, but others popup with an error "Unable to Stream. Your HD DVR is currently busy and cannot support streaming" (but it isn't).

Besides, if what the CSR said were correct, wouldn't that mean you couldn't use the Nomad with HBO?

HBO is listed as a Premium subscription, not a PPV.

Sounds like CSR crap to me.

That is why I sent an email to Ellen's office this weekend -- to get the definitive answer. They called me today and are checking with engineers to get the correct answer. I'll post back as soon as I hear something.

Hockey was the primary reason I bought my nomad. So I too am not going to be happy if CI is now defined as PPV.

#11 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,643 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:02 PM

I hadn't tried that until you just brought it up. I can watch some of the CI games via Nomad's new "Watch Now" button, but others popup with an error "Unable to Stream. Your HD DVR is currently busy and cannot support streaming" (but it isn't).

HBO is listed as a Premium subscription, not a PPV.

That is why I sent an email to Ellen's office this weekend -- to get the definitive answer. They called me today and are checking with engineers to get the correct answer. I'll post back as soon as I hear something.

Hockey was the primary reason I bought my nomad. So I too am not going to be happy if CI is now defined as PPV.

I appreciate you checking into this. Maybe HBO wasn't the best comparison, but does this also mean that people who subscribe to sports pack, where you get all the RSNs except when the big four are playing, would also not function with Nomad? Only your local RSN will work for Nomad? This would be a pretty big omission from the advertising for the Nomad. I can't imagine that we're the only two people who got a Nomad to watch sports!

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

#12 OFFLINE   Special Ed

Special Ed

Legend

• Registered
  • 152 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:09 AM

Would the Big 10 network and Fox Sports channels be available on the Nomad?

When I get kicked off the TV because the wife is watch a show like "the bachelor" I would like to stream a Tiger baseball game on FSD or a big ten game on the Big 10 network on occasion.

If not possible, this would be a deal killer.

#13 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,494 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:32 PM

Show your wife how she can watch 'The Bachelor' on the iPad! Mine has really enjoyed streaming her favorite shows since the last update.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#14 OFFLINE   Special Ed

Special Ed

Legend

• Registered
  • 152 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:46 AM

Show your wife how she can watch 'The Bachelor' on the iPad! Mine has really enjoyed streaming her favorite shows since the last update.

Not going to happen in my household. :nono:

#15 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:37 PM

I sent an email to Ellen's office last week. They called shortly after I sent it to talk with me and said they'd get back after they research the issue (basically -- the nomad won't transcode NHL CI games. Is that the design or is there a software fix in progress?)

I received a phonecall this afternoon from DirecTV.

NHLCI channels are considered PPV and you will not be able to transcode them and transfer them to a nomad device. You can transfer NBC, NHLN, NBCSN and RSNs hockey games that you receive, but not any of the out-of market games.

When I asked about other sports packages (NBA, MLB and NFL), I was told that those are also considered PPV and people can't transcode them also.

The rep also stated he has submitted paperwork to update the nomad documentation, the nomad web pages and training materials for CSRs so they know this.

Obviously not the answer I wanted to hear, especially since the main reason I bought my nomad was to record CI games. I was polite with the rep, but I told him that I wasn't happy.

I'm OK with paying $60 for this season, but I won't be paying $170 in the future w/o the ability to take some of the games with me while I travel.

#16 OFFLINE   Mike_TV

Mike_TV

Legend

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:14 PM

I sent an email to Ellen's office last week. They called shortly after I sent it to talk with me and said they'd get back after they research the issue (basically -- the nomad won't transcode NHL CI games. Is that the design or is there a software fix in progress?)

NHLCI channels are considered PPV and you will not be able to transcode them and transfer them to a nomad device. You can transfer NBC, NHLN, NBCSN and RSNs hockey games that you receive, but not any of the out-of market games.

When I asked about other sports packages (NBA, MLB and NFL), I was told that those are also considered PPV and people can't transcode them also.

The rep also stated he has submitted paperwork to update the nomad documentation, the nomad web pages and training materials for CSRs so they know this.

Obviously not the answer I wanted to hear, especially since the main reason I bought my nomad was to record CI games. I was polite with the rep, but I told him that I wasn't happy.

I'm OK with paying $60 for this season, but I won't be paying $170 in the future w/o the ability to take some of the games with me while I travel.

Thanks for the update. Too bad the Nomad clients can't read the PPV flag and indicate that it can't/won't transcode it.

#17 OFFLINE   Special Ed

Special Ed

Legend

• Registered
  • 152 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:59 AM

The only sports package I buy is Sunday ticket. No reason for me to take a day+ old football game on the road. I can stream it with my PC or ipad with the ST software. So I am fine there.

What about the Fox Sports channels? Like the Big10 network or Fox Sports Detroit. Are those considered PPV? If so, the Nomad would be no good to me as those are what I would stream most frequently. No way can I get dibs on the TV to watch a meaningless Big 10 basketball game when "The Good Wife" is on.

#18 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,643 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:28 PM

That's flat-out ridiculous! NHLCI isn't PPV in any sense of the word. I do not pay per showing. The games do not expire on my DVR. It is no different from any other premium subscription. I'm glad you got an answer, but the answer is total BS! :mad::nono::mad:

Typical DirecTV. You've already paid us, so we don't care if you're happy or not.

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

#19 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:37 PM

You're right, CI isn't PPV, but the nomad treats CI out of market games like PPV and VOD in that it won't transcode the games.

I suspect that in the future, we'll see out of market sports packages on the list of things the nomad can't transfer to a device.

But this should have been listed before they ever released the nomad for sale.

#20 OFFLINE   Mike_TV

Mike_TV

Legend

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:02 AM

But...but DRM is for the customer and to make their experience better!!!!

This is what pushes people away from a company's product or service. Frustration. The clear lack of the "rules" of the DRM and the ability of a company to change the DRM rules anytime in the future to the detriment of the user.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...