Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Nomad and NHLCI

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   infounlim

infounlim

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:05 AM

Have you tried recording the games directly on the RSN with no buffer? Most games should be available to watch directly on the RSN rather then the CI channel (except for Canadian home feeds and Philly home feed). I would think the portion of the recording that is blacked out confuses the Nomad. The CI channels also have many extra hours of time slotted to each game that probably causes a problem. I would think if you recorded directly on the RSN and had it start on time (or even a minute late) so none of the "black out screen" recorded it would work. Ill try with mine tonight.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,278 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:47 AM

Have you tried recording the games directly on the RSN with no buffer? Most games should be available to watch directly on the RSN rather then the CI channel (except for Canadian home feeds and Philly home feed). I would think the portion of the recording that is blacked out confuses the Nomad. The CI channels also have many extra hours of time slotted to each game that probably causes a problem. I would think if you recorded directly on the RSN and had it start on time (or even a minute late) so none of the "black out screen" recorded it would work. Ill try with mine tonight.

Yes. And I've even tried just 30 and 10 minutes in the middle if an RSN broadcast and it didn't work (on RSNs that are opened during a CI broadcast. I can record and transfer games from my RSNs without any problems). But if you get different results, let us know.

#23 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,643 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:54 PM

I tried that already, and all you get is an endless "preparing to transfer" loop. It will show 2 hours remaining, then 1 hour remaining, then 2 hours remaining, and so on... It never finishes. As a bit of a hint, I've tried streaming a recording from MSG+ on NHLCI while it was still recording, and it gives me an error that the DVR is busy, which of course it isn't.

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI
HP Touchsmart IQ 846 (Windows 8) for DirecTV2PC and Media Share

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

#24 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,643 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:56 PM

You're right, CI isn't PPV, but the nomad treats CI out of market games like PPV and VOD in that it won't transcode the games.

I suspect that in the future, we'll see out of market sports packages on the list of things the nomad can't transfer to a device.

But this should have been listed before they ever released the nomad for sale.

Wouldn't it be better if, in the future, they released a Nomad update so it stopped treating NHLCI as PPV, when it clearly isn't?!?

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

#25 OFFLINE   infounlim

infounlim

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:04 PM

Good to know. I guess this is just another reason to switch to Game Center.

#26 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,278 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:40 PM

Wouldn't it be better if, in the future, they released a Nomad update so it stopped treating NHLCI as PPV, when it clearly isn't?!?

that would be nice, but they aren't.

#27 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,643 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:06 PM

Good to know. I guess this is just another reason to switch to Game Center.

Looks like it! Unfortunately, Nomad was a far more elegant solution. For one thing, there's no Sprint coverage at work, and nearly all video (including NHLGCL) is blocked there on the WiFi. I could suffer through Verizon speed assuming that first they haven't turned off roaming data this month, and second, that I can watch hockey in 1/8 FPS.

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

#28 OFFLINE   Special Ed

Special Ed

Legend

• Registered
  • 152 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:41 AM

The only sports package I buy is Sunday ticket. No reason for me to take a day+ old football game on the road. I can stream it with my PC or ipad with the ST software. So I am fine there.

What about the Fox Sports channels? Like the Big10 network or Fox Sports Detroit. Are those considered PPV? If so, the Nomad would be no good to me as those are what I would stream most frequently. No way can I get dibs on the TV to watch a meaningless Big 10 basketball game when "The Good Wife" is on.

Seems like mostly Hockey fans here. What about Football and Baseball packages? They must be tagged as PPV? But it doesn't really matter because I can stream them on my PC with a Directv login.

I am more concerned with the Big 10 network and the Fox sports package because I would stream them at home and streaming is not offered on the Directv site for those channels.

So I really would like to know if those channels are also considered PPV?

#29 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,278 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 12 March 2013 - 04:25 PM

Seems like mostly Hockey fans here.

Maybe because of the thread topic?

#30 OFFLINE   Special Ed

Special Ed

Legend

• Registered
  • 152 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:09 AM

Maybe because of the thread topic?

True. But someone here with Nomad may also watch the Fox Sports Channels and have an answer.

spam firewall