Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The Americans: The Clock

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,065 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:47 PM

As promised, a new thread for The Americans. I plan to watch this episode tonight.

Please no thread crapping.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,618 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:55 PM

Programmed my DVR to record the series after watching "The Clock" this afternoon. As I said on another thread, this series has potential.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#3 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,915 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:57 PM

Please no thread crapping.

A big THANK YOU!!!!!!!
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#4 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,161 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:37 PM

I really liked this episode! This series is so weird, because I find myself rooting for the Russian couple - but they are the enemy.

And the writers do a good job of making you feel sorry for them, then dislike them intensely and finally - move toward understanding them while not liking what they are doing.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#5 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,384 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:19 PM

It seems difficult to understand how anyone, after spending a significant period of time living as Americans, could hold onto their belief structure. Then I find myself wondering how paranoid I would have been if my country had gone through what the German's did to Russia in WWII, and therefore easily influenced. Nationalism is, in the end, just an extension of family and tribe.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#6 OFFLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,915 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:57 AM

I really liked this episode! This series is so weird, because I find myself rooting for the Russian couple - but they are the enemy.

And the writers do a good job of making you feel sorry for them, then dislike them intensely and finally - move toward understanding them while not liking what they are doing.

It's the kids isn't mom?

It is called "Save the Cat" in screenwriting. Humanize the characters somehow.

Link to Book

#7 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 9,065 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:05 PM

This show is different than other shows for me because I didn't have to give it much time to decide if I liked it or not. Most often I have to watch three or four episodes before knowing. I admit that I really did want to like it because of the topic and the channel it's on. So often my wife and I would discuss how much better a show would be if it were on HBO, now I realize FX is just as good. I'm not saying shows need to be filthy (language, violence or sex) but it's nice to be able to cross the line into what I consider to be more of a real situation.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#8 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,548 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:47 PM

I was pretty high on the pilot, thinking it might be the best new show in some while. Now, after "The Clock", I am wondering if that judgment was premature; I really did not like much about this episode. All of the complaints others were lodging here started to ring true to me. I guess I need ep 3 to break the tie.
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#9 OFFLINE   Number Six

Number Six

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:53 AM

The show is well made but I can't get past two nagging feelings -- that it is the result of some executives saying, "We need a Homeland," and that late cold war espionage seems a bit limited in potential. We already know how that story ends. They could prove me wrong on that second point, but I don't see me sticking around on this one, despite being a fan of stuff set in the'80s.

#10 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,548 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:04 PM

The show is well made but I can't get past two nagging feelings -- that it is the result of some executives saying, "We need a Homeland,"...

TV is the most derivative art form there ever was. When something gets buzz, wins a lot of awards, makes a lot of money, gets good ratings, both the talented and the untalented, both of who may have not had a successful show or want another one, try to deconstruct what made that show a hit. And those who made that show in the first place even do that, hoping lightning can strike twice. Every drama on the air wants to catch the lightning in a bottle that makes Homeland what it is. Every comedy pilot will try to figure out why Girls is getting ratings, and try to include that magic in their show. That's pretty normal, and to be expected.

The sad part? Talented people will deconstruct and discover what makes Homeland great, and try to lean that direction. Untalented people have no ability to discover that, and will try to adopt the look, or the dialog, or the general milieu, or cast someone as a tough crazy female "Claire Danes" type, thinking that is where the magic is, which is pathetic and why they have not been successful in the first place.

Execs should not think "we need a Homeland", they should think "we need writing, producing, and acting at the quality level of Homeland". There is a distinct difference. Don't use it as a source for a rip off, use it as a model for how to conduct your own career. Don't steal from it, do the hard work yourself and pay homage to it. The cream will rise to the top.
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

spam firewall