Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

eSata noob question (sorry)

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   timvracer

timvracer

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:20 AM

I looked through the eSata threads, and could not find this specific issue. Please forgive my noob question.

I have the HR21 DVR. My one mistake was purchasing hardware before reading the recommendations, however, if I am reading things right this is one of the configurations that works.

Vantec Nexstar 3 eSata enclosure with WD GREEN 1TB HDD.

When I do the sequence of power down the DVR, unplug it, wait for awhile, plug in the HDD via eSata cable in the SATA port on the back of the DVR, power up the HDD and let it spin up, then plug in the DVR and turn it on....

What I get is a repeating loop of restarting after "Running receiver self-check". It goes black, then back to "Almost done... a few seconds more" and then back to "Running receiver self-check".

I does this over and over. Is this simply that it does not see the HDD? I did not do anything special with the HDD, just unpacked it, put it into the enclosure per the instructions, and plugged it in.

#2 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,482 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:33 AM

I looked through the eSata threads, and could not find this specific issue. Please forgive my noob question.

I have the HR21 DVR. My one mistake was purchasing hardware before reading the recommendations, however, if I am reading things right this is one of the configurations that works.

Vantec Nexstar 3 eSata enclosure with WD GREEN 1TB HDD.

When I do the sequence of power down the DVR, unplug it, wait for awhile, plug in the HDD via eSata cable in the SATA port on the back of the DVR, power up the HDD and let it spin up, then plug in the DVR and turn it on....

What I get is a repeating loop of restarting after "Running receiver self-check". It goes black, then back to "Almost done... a few seconds more" and then back to "Running receiver self-check".

I does this over and over. Is this simply that it does not see the HDD? I did not do anything special with the HDD, just unpacked it, put it into the enclosure per the instructions, and plugged it in.

Here's the correct way: First thing to do is plug in the eSATA to eSATA cable to both the unplugged HR and the unplugged external device. That should be the last time you have to touch that cable. Just leave it alone once it's plugged into the HR and the external device.

Next, plug in the external device and give it about 30 seconds to spin up. Then plug in the HR and it should boot up using the external HDD.

Let us know if using this protocol fixes your problem.

Rich

#3 OFFLINE   timvracer

timvracer

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:02 AM

Here's the correct way: First thing to do is plug in the eSATA to eSATA cable to both the unplugged HR and the unplugged external device. That should be the last time you have to touch that cable. Just leave it alone once it's plugged into the HR and the external device.

Next, plug in the external device and give it about 30 seconds to spin up. Then plug in the HR and it should boot up using the external HDD.

Let us know if using this protocol fixes your problem.

Rich

Thanks Rich for the correct protocol,
I just completed this again as you have outlined. I first got my DVR working on the internal HDD again as a baseline with no eSATA connection. I then powered down the DVR, and unplugged it. Meanwhile, I also had my HDD off, unplugged, and with no eSATA cable connected.

From this, I then followed your protocol. Connect eSATA cable to unplugged devices, plug in the HDD and power up with spin up time, then plug in the DVR, and power it on.

Unfortunately, I am getting the same result. The immediate "few more seconds" screen when I power up , followed by the receiver self-check. The screen goes black and then I get the "Hello... " screen, followed by "a few more seconds" screen, and then back to the receiver self-check...

:(:confused:

I used the eSATA cable that came with the enclosure.

Any ideas?

#4 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:41 AM

So either the enclosure, drive or cable are bad. You should be able to test the drive on your pc, possibly the enclosure and cable as well if you have eSATA on a pc.

#5 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,237 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:52 AM

Or the jumper settings?

With my HR20-100 I sometimes have to force a software update to get it to play nice.
HR20-100, HR20-700, HR24-100, HR34-700/AM21

#6 OFFLINE   timvracer

timvracer

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:08 PM

I do have eSata on my PC, if I plug into it, what do I need to see to validate the drive? Won't it want to format it itself? If I format the drive on the PC, will it work when I take it back to the DVR?

I just ask because I have read other threads that issued strong warnings about plugging into a PC since the formats PC/DVR use are not compatible.

Thanks!

So either the enclosure, drive or cable are bad. You should be able to test the drive on your pc, possibly the enclosure and cable as well if you have eSATA on a pc.

#7 OFFLINE   timvracer

timvracer

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:10 PM

Im on the HR21/100, not sure how to force an update. There does not seem to be a menu item for update checking or anything similar.

I am currently on 0x62c, Wed 12/5, 3:23a

Or the jumper settings?

With my HR20-100 I sometimes have to force a software update to get it to play nice.

#8 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,482 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:16 PM

Thanks Rich for the correct protocol,
I just completed this again as you have outlined. I first got my DVR working on the internal HDD again as a baseline with no eSATA connection. I then powered down the DVR, and unplugged it. Meanwhile, I also had my HDD off, unplugged, and with no eSATA cable connected.

From this, I then followed your protocol. Connect eSATA cable to unplugged devices, plug in the HDD and power up with spin up time, then plug in the DVR, and power it on.

Unfortunately, I am getting the same result. The immediate "few more seconds" screen when I power up , followed by the receiver self-check. The screen goes black and then I get the "Hello... " screen, followed by "a few more seconds" screen, and then back to the receiver self-check...

:(:confused:

I used the eSATA cable that came with the enclosure.

Any ideas?

Yup, if you can, return the HDD and get a 2TB WD EURS drive. You'll be much happier with that. Then return the enclosure and get a Thermaltake docking station.

Here's a link to the HDD and here's a link to the docking station.

Rich

#9 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,482 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:17 PM

Or the jumper settings?

No jumpers needed anymore.

Rich

#10 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:36 PM

I do have eSata on my PC, if I plug into it, what do I need to see to validate the drive? Won't it want to format it itself? If I format the drive on the PC, will it work when I take it back to the DVR?

I just ask because I have read other threads that issued strong warnings about plugging into a PC since the formats PC/DVR use are not compatible.

Thanks!

If the drive is ok, the dvr will reformat it for use. We're trying to help you verify if the drive/enclosure/cable combo is even working. plugging a working dvr drive into your pc would not destroy any data unless you told it to format the drive, but you also wouldnt be able to read it in a windows os. Moving a drive from your pc to the dvr will automatically reformat it destroying any files you had on it. See if you have the option to format it and use it in windows....that will tell you if the drive works.

#11 OFFLINE   macfan601

macfan601

Legend

• Registered
  • 180 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:55 PM

Just a quick word. From my experience Rich is the "AUTHORITY" on external Directv DVR hard drives. I don't get along with most people on DBS because I don't like their haughty attitudes or their "secret" affiliation with Directv behind the scenes. Rich very patiently exchanged several emails with me giving me the benefit of all the information he obtained through first hand, hands on experience pertaining to external hard drives. He never once said you have to do it this way but always said in his experience something worked for him. It is time we started pointing out the good guys who go above and beyond. When Rich posts about external hard drives, I take notes.

#12 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,766 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:09 PM

well, then lets propose to rename the thread's topic to "Ask Rich for external drive of your DVR" and make it sticky...that would be logical step forward

#13 OFFLINE   macfan601

macfan601

Legend

• Registered
  • 180 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:13 PM

well, then lets propose to rename the thread's topic to "Ask Rich for external drive of your DVR" and make it sticky...that would be logical step forward

Excellent idea (but fix the wording first please) if he wants to take that on.

#14 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,766 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:18 PM

give your naming, I'm not forcing to use my incorrect phrase; should it be "about" instead of "for" ?

#15 OFFLINE   macfan601

macfan601

Legend

• Registered
  • 180 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:27 PM

give your naming, I'm not forcing to use my incorrect phrase; should it be "about" instead of "for" ?

How about simply: Ask Rich your External Hard Drive questions. Sorry for picking on your phrasing. Being a retired teacher those things pop out at me.

#16 OFFLINE   timvracer

timvracer

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:17 PM

Thanks everyone for your responses. I am at work now, but tonight I will try and see if the drive even works by testing it on my PC. That said, I have known since I found this board that I should have consulted it first before buying my hardware, and Rich's advice appears spot on. As such, I will see if I can return my stuff and get a refund (unfortunately, I bought it at Fry's) and then order the 2TB solution Rich suggested.

It gets hot in our living room, so I will be looking for the active cooling enclosure, makes sense to me.

I'll update the thread on the results, as I know that for future noobs like me seeing the advice, action, result in the thread is very helpful.

#17 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,766 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:44 PM

How about simply: Ask Rich your External Hard Drive questions. Sorry for picking on your phrasing. Being a retired teacher those things pop out at me.

If you would drop me PM each time when I made mistake, I would appreciate your time. I promise I'm willing to learn and correct my errors ! :)

#18 OFFLINE   macfan601

macfan601

Legend

• Registered
  • 180 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:31 PM

If you would drop me PM each time when I made mistake, I would appreciate your time. I promise I'm willing to learn and correct my errors ! :)

If something pops out at me I will do that. Again, I am sorry for being so harsh and will try to do it in a kinder way if I catch something.

Can you do something about seeing if Rich is willing to monitor a sticky thread like we were talking about? I know he would do a great job but it would require time on his part so it would be polite to ask him first.

#19 OFFLINE   CDJohnson25

CDJohnson25

Mentor

• Registered
  • 75 posts
  • LocationOn a long and lonesome highway, east of Omaha

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:38 PM

If something pops out at me I will do that. Again, I am sorry for being so harsh and will try to do it in a kinder way if I catch something.

Can you do something about seeing if Rich is willing to monitor a sticky thread like we were talking about? I know he would do a great job but it would require time on his part so it would be polite to ask him first.

Shouldn't your corrections be in red??? :P

#20 OFFLINE   timvracer

timvracer

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 03:53 PM

UPDATE:
I tested my drive on my PC, with 2 different cables, and it does not see it. I think the enclosure must be bad, so I am returning it. I will go with the ThermalTake. I am going to try and upgrade to a 2TB WD as well.

spam firewall