Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Do you still have to have HD TV's before you can get HD receivers?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   grover517

grover517

AllStar

• Registered
  • 122 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:28 AM

My elderly mom got rid of DirecTV a few years ago because she could not read the channel guide on the latest SD receivers with her failing sight. Guess there wasn't enough contrast between the white lettering, blue backgrounds, etc. on the SD receiver format and with her failing eyesight, she had to get inches from the screen to read it.

However, she makes a comment every time she comes to our house about how well she can see the HD receiver menus I have, which are newer HD receivers with the black/white color scheme, and she is sitting at least 6 ft away, so her eyesight isn't really THAT bad, but the color formatting difference between the SD receivers and the HD receivers is the problem for her.

Last time I checked, DirecTV wouldn't give you HD receivers (even if you still paid the extra HD fee) if you didn't have HD TV's. The H and HR receivers (non genie) I have, can use compatible connections (composite) in the back for her TV's and the interface allows you to set 4:3 format, so the only thing I can think of that prevents her from going back to DirecTV is DirecTV itself if they are still enforcing that policy. She also wants the whole home setup with at least 2 DVR's and 2 regular receivers.

So does anyone know if this "no HD box without HD TV's" is still the case? Can she get the new genie setup with SD tv's? I think she would be better served with separate DVR's and receivers for her needs, but the genie might work if there isn't too much "jury rigging" needed to connect the remote boxes to older TV's.

She is one of those that believes "If it ain't broke, don't fix (or replace) it". So until her SD tv's stop working, there is absolutely no chance of her replacing them, and trying to explain to her that she has to replace her "completely sufficient" TV's just so she can get DirecTV with the equipment she wants (and is willing to pay for it), is just "nonsense" and it is a wonder DirecTV is still in business! :P

TIA,

J

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,294 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:15 AM

We hook up Genies and clients to antiquated junk everyday.

Her TV's might be the reason she cant see the screen.
HR20-100, HR20-700, HR24-100, HR34-700/AM21

#3 OFFLINE   azarby

azarby

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,047 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:16 PM

Some friends of our got a new HR34 and a C31. They had a TV for he HR34, but no TV for the C31. They added the TV to the C31 about 2 weeks later.

#4 OFFLINE   macfan601

macfan601

Legend

• Registered
  • 180 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:40 PM

I am in the process of building a projector Home Theater in my basement. I went to Goodwill and bought a 20" CRT TV for $10. I hooked my HR34 up to it via Svideo to keep me company while I am working. It works just fine. Eventually I will run an HDMI cable to my projector and operate both the TV (laundry room) and the projector (Home Theater).

#5 OFFLINE   makaiguy

makaiguy

Icon

• Registered
  • 636 posts
  • LocationAiken, SC

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:42 PM

Hooking up an SD tv to an existing DirecTV HD unit is not the question.

Yes you can and yes it will work and will probably give better results downrezzing HD to SD than viewing DirecTV's horrible SD directly.

It used to be that D* would not provide a NEW HD unit unless it was to be hooked up to an HD display, at least that apparently was the policy on paper. When we upgraded from SD to HD I just told them both TVs were HD and got two HD units -- the installer didn't care that the bedroom set was still really SD.
DirecTV customer since 1997
HR24-500, HR22-100
I don't do buddy/friends lists, don't ask.

#6 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:08 PM

BTW, I am a retired teacher, and that sure is one heck of a long run on sentence.

I believe you may have mentioned that before.

Edited by Hoosier205, 09 February 2013 - 07:47 AM.

DTV = Digital Television

#7 OFFLINE   macfan601

macfan601

Legend

• Registered
  • 180 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:19 PM

I believe you may have mentioned that before.

I am tired of tangling with you. I am sorry if it bothers you that I qualify my statements. Maybe you should qualify yours, but I know why you can't. But as long as you brought up things that irritate people, people who think they are "all knowing" on this forum irritate me. I really am not impressed. Next time you want to attack me do it in PM.

#8 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,943 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:29 AM

Some of you may have noticed you a few of your posts missing from this thread. I have deleted them not because of the content you posted but rather for other reasons that I can not go into.

If you have any questions please PM me.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...