Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Ethernet MRV 2 HDDVR's, one not seeing the other

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Vin

Vin

Legend

• Registered
  • 224 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:24 PM

Well that doesn't help, but was it the one with the problems?

The hard wired one can't see the wireless:

I'm having the same problem as the OP. I'm on ethernet, with the family room hardwired and the bedroom on wifi. The bedroom can see the family room, but not vice-versa.

Vin

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,983 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:04 PM

The hard wired one can't see the wireless:

So it works "half way".
A.K.A VOS

#23 OFFLINE   VelvetUn

VelvetUn

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:07 PM

Should I manually change the settings in DirecTV for the wired DVR to 255.255.0.0?

On a side note, it doesn't make sense to me, but when I'm in my router settings, I can see the family room DVR (the one that isn't working), but I can't see the bedroom DVR or the bridge that is connected via wifi. It still works though.

#24 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,983 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:15 PM

Should I manually change the settings in DirecTV for the wired DVR to 255.255.0.0?

On a side note, it doesn't make sense to me, but when I'm in my router settings, I can see the family room DVR (the one that isn't working), but I can't see the bedroom DVR or the bridge that is connected via wifi. It still works though.

Manually changing anything takes the receiver out of DHCP mode, so only do this when you know what you're doing.
If it isn't working, manually entering settings hasn't ever worked for me.

255.255.0.0 is for when there isn't a DHCP router and the receiver use their internal 169.xxx IP.
A.K.A VOS

#25 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,951 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:33 PM

Depends upon where you are looking...the bridge should be listed as a connected WiFi node (assuming your router has such a status page) but won't be listed as ethernet node. It is not unusual to not see the device connected to the bridge (only some routers detect the bridged device as different from the bridge itself).

have you tried selecting "Repeat Network Setup" instead "Restore Defaults"? I have seen a receiver get "stuck" with an error status unless you go through that step.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#26 OFFLINE   putty469

putty469

Legend

• Registered
  • 136 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:35 PM

I have a DIR-655 and had to enable multicasting in the advanced tab. I had all kinds of problems until I enabled that.

Lots of smart people responding but I thought I'd chime in since the router appears to be the most likely suspect. Hope you get it working.
My Setup:
HR20-100 - Vizio XVT553SV 1080p - HDMI
H21-200 - Vizio VX42L 720p - HDMI
HR23-700 - Emerson 32" 720p - HDMI
DirecTV Whole Home DVR

Computer - Windows 7, DirecTV2PC
(2GB RAM, AMD X2 4200+, ATI HD3450 512MB)
Network - Linksys WRT54G and Charter 20/2 HSI

#27 OFFLINE   VelvetUn

VelvetUn

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:51 PM

VOS:"Manually changing anything takes the receiver out of DHCP mode, so only do this when you know what you're doing. If it isn't working, manually entering settings hasn't ever worked for me."

I previously had this DVR on static IP with some of the settings manually inputted working with no problem.

Depends upon where you are looking...the bridge should be listed as a connected WiFi node (assuming your router has such a status page) but won't be listed as ethernet node. It is not unusual to not see the device connected to the bridge (only some routers detect the bridged device as different from the bridge itself).

I was looking in the DHCP Client list. I would have thought, like you said, the bridge would be ignored.

have you tried selecting "Repeat Network Setup" instead "Restore Defaults"? I have seen a receiver get "stuck" with an error status unless you go through that step.

I will try that. I think I have done it already, but it doesn't hurt to try again.

Putty469: "I have a DIR-655 and had to enable multicasting in the advanced tab. I had all kinds of problems until I enabled that."

I do have multicasting activated.

Thank you all for the suggestions. I'm hoping to take a crack at this again later tonight or tomorrow.

#28 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,951 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:08 PM

I was looking in the DHCP Client list. I would have thought, like you said, the bridge would be ignored.

If you had recently reset the router, the DVR may not have renewed the IP address. Usually, when a router boots up it will poll the network to see what IP addresses are in use, but won't list an address unless it actually issues it to a DHCP client in response to a request/renewal. If the DVR was reset after the router and still doesn't show up in the DHCP list, that could indicate a problem with the router (though, I have also seen a number of routers that were a bit flakey about DHCP lists).

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

#29 OFFLINE   VelvetUn

VelvetUn

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:04 PM

I re-ran the network setup and for whatever reason, it decided to allow my DVR to see the Internet. So I no longer have the 22 error, but my family room DVR still does not see the bedroom DVR; the bedroom DVR still shows the other DVR.

#30 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,983 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:09 PM

I re-ran the network setup and for whatever reason, it decided to allow my DVR to see the Internet. So I no longer have the 22 error, but my family room DVR still does not see the bedroom DVR; the bedroom DVR still shows the other DVR.

"It sucks", but this is why this type of networking isn't supported by DirecTV for MRV.
"odds are" it's your router causing this.

The few times my receiver has done this a simple reset/restart has it up and running, but I'm using DECA, with a WCCK to connect to my home network .
A.K.A VOS

#31 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:54 PM

When I have problems like this, What I do is go to the router settings under dhcp server list(aka reserved list) and refresh the list and reboot the router, Then reset the network setup to each receiver (no need to reboot the receiver) by restoring default values to each receiver. Hopes this works for you.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#32 OFFLINE   waylonrobert

waylonrobert

AllStar

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:30 PM

As far as I can tell the subnet is the same on the computer I'm using and both DVRs (255.255.255.0). I thought the subnets needed to be the same so each device could be seen on the network, should they be different?

Sorry, perhaps I wasn't clear. Yes they need to be on the same subnet. I was asking if you have other devices using your network, and whether or not you are having any issues with those. If you are, then the router could be the problem. As VOS said, try using a switch instead of a router to see if you can isolate the problem. In most situations, it is the router that causes problems.

#33 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,951 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:38 PM

Silly question, but have you reset the bridge?

Current setup:

#34 OFFLINE   VelvetUn

VelvetUn

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:18 PM

I will try a complete router refresh (IP addresses & reset) and then re-run network information.

I'm not having any other network issues. Even the DVR that isn't working is actually connected to the Internet, gets VOD, Pandora and I was able to set a remote recording online.

I did reset the bridge and I was happy that that DVR continued to operate and see the other.

Again, thank you to everyone for suggestions. I will let you know how it turns out with the router refresh.

#35 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,951 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:27 AM

I will try a complete router refresh (IP addresses & reset) and then re-run network information.

I'm not having any other network issues. Even the DVR that isn't working is actually connected to the Internet, gets VOD, Pandora and I was able to set a remote recording online.

I did reset the bridge and I was happy that that DVR continued to operate and see the other.

Again, thank you to everyone for suggestions. I will let you know how it turns out with the router refresh.

So clearly, the bedroom DVR is able to open a session with Pandora's servers, DirecTV's servers and the other DVR. However, the other DVR can not open a session with the Bedroom DVR.

I am not sure how DVRs register with each other for MRV - i.e., do the DVRs send an advertisement packet to announce themselves, or does each DVR poll the network and wait for the others to respond.

In any event, it would appear that either the bedroom DVR's advertisement, or the poll/response session, is not getting through the bridge.

What is the make and model of the bridge? Does it have any configuration options regarding bridge mode? Does it have any security features?

Current setup:

#36 OFFLINE   VelvetUn

VelvetUn

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:43 PM

I'm not exactly sure what I did, but the family room DVR sees the bedroom DVR. Last night I released/refreshed IPs and I think reset the router (to the best of my knowledge it didn't work). Today I unplugged Cat5 cord from the bridge (Trendnet) to the bedroom DVR and plugged it back in (I had previously done the power cord). It works now, which is nice. Whenever we get around to moving this year, I'll make sure I get DECA installed in the next house.

Thank you to all for the help and suggestions to fix this problem.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...