Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

What the hck!! (Recording missed.)

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer

Icon

• Registered
  • 957 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:37 PM

So I normally record shows and start watching 10 to 20 mins in so I can FF through all the commercials. Sit down at 6:30pm all excited to watch Gold Rush. Look in my Now Playing List and its not there. Go to the guide and it is still on with a 6pm starting time. Look in my history and the DVR says "this recording was cancelled because of a programming update" and it decided to reschedule it to 8:05pm. Umm... what?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   ronsanjim

ronsanjim

Godfather

• Registered
  • 417 posts
  • LocationCherokee Village, AR

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:43 AM

Your title will probaby get your inquiry "locked"......

#3 ONLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:40 AM

Guide Data Issue- from Station-Recording re-scheduled by DVR based on guide information.

Not a Hardware problem
"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#4 OFFLINE   SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 957 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:38 PM

What do you mean? I recorded the program by clicking the record button from the guide a week or so ago. At that time it was scheduled from 6:00pm to 7:00pm PST on Discovery. Last night, the DVR changed the recording to 8:00pm to 9:00pm PST on Discovery. The program AIRED at 6:00pm PST. The guide still showed a start time of 6:00pm PST as well. The DVR simply decided to cancel / reschedule my recording for no reason.

#5 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,559 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:45 PM

Guide data gets updated/changed constantly. Something changed to make the dvr think the program was different. It sounds like it picked an alternative.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#6 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,252 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:52 PM

So I normally record shows and start watching 10 to 20 mins in so I can FF through all the commercials. Sit down at 6:30pm all excited to watch Gold Rush. Look in my Now Playing List and its not there. Go to the guide and it is still on with a 6pm starting time. Look in my history and the DVR says "this recording was cancelled because of a programming update" and it decided to reschedule it to 8:05pm. Umm... what?

Were there more details in the recording history?

What model dvr do you have?

And which DMA are you in?

Thanks,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#7 OFFLINE   lacubs

lacubs

Godfather

• Registered
  • 522 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:52 PM

this happen to me once, its just happen no reason at all! but your DVR its ok, i do check my "To Do List" more often

#8 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,252 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:58 PM

Your title will probaby get your inquiry "locked"......

Not so much that, but I did change the title so DIRECTV is more likely to read the thread. And hopefully Sledgehammer will be able to share more details that will help.

Peace,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#9 OFFLINE   SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 957 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:32 PM

Not so much that, but I did change the title so DIRECTV is more likely to read the thread. And hopefully Sledgehammer will be able to share more details that will help.

Peace,
Tom

LOL :D. Sorry.

I have an HR20-700 (0x62c). I live in Southern California (Los Angeles market).

Exact error message was "This episode was cancelled because of a programming update (13)"

If the episode was truly cancelled or rescheduled, I wouldn't have an issue and would pat the DVR on the back for being smart. Unfortunately, the episode still aired at 6:00pm PST on Discovery and was NOT rescheduled. The guide still showed it at the original time as well (I just happened to catch the DVRs mistake at 6:30pm). So not pat on the back for the DVR.

#10 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,791 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:32 PM

Were there more details in the recording history?

What model dvr do you have?

And which DMA are you in?

Thanks,
Tom

"The odd thing" here was this program recorded on my [3] DVRs @ 6 PM. :shrug:
A.K.A VOS

#11 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,252 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:35 PM

"The odd thing" here was this program recorded on my [3] DVRs @ 6 PM. :shrug:

I'm considering location makes a difference. Though I'm not sure where Sledgehammer's version of Hell, CA is. I know of one in Michigan. :)

Go Packers!

#12 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:44 PM

LOL :D. Sorry.

I have an HR20-700 (0x62c). I live in Southern California (Los Angeles market).

Exact error message was "This episode was cancelled because of a programming update (13)"

If the episode was truly cancelled or rescheduled, I wouldn't have an issue and would pat the DVR on the back for being smart. Unfortunately, the episode still aired at 6:00pm PST on Discovery and was NOT rescheduled. The guide still showed it at the original time as well (I just happened to catch the DVRs mistake at 6:30pm). So not pat on the back for the DVR.

I've experienced this a few times myself. Typically, the guide data is changed at the last minute (maybe to start at 5:59 or 6:01 or something else). The DVR doesn't have time to adjust so it just records the next showing. So, in effect it was rescheduled, but still aired at the correct time. Now, why some DVR's are OK with the adjustment and some aren't (I've seen it where one DVR in my house records and another gets that message), I don't know.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#13 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:52 PM

Sometimes, a "programming update" is made to the guide data in error....then it's switched back to the CORRECT data. Unfortunately, if the poor DVR sees any discrepancy in the data for a show AT THE TIME IT IS SCHEDULED TO RECORD it bypasses it.

Usually, if the recording is set in the to do list because of a series link (prioritizer) entry, things can get corrected "on the fly", but if it's a one-time recording the DVR just aborts it.

I've noticed the TO DO list gets built differently on the current HD (and R22) DVR's than it did in the past on the SD DVR's. If you reboot your HD DVR twice once right after the other the guide cache is deleted. So are all the series link-generated entries in the TO DO list and the list is built up from scratch in real time as the guide data populates. In the past, the SD DVR's kept the TO DO list intact including all "series link" entries even though the guide was empty. I assume this change was made to keep the TO DO list fresh and in sync with the current guide data. But in your case it had a negative effect!

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#14 OFFLINE   SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 957 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:05 PM

This reminds me of that Seinfeld episode where they ran out of rental cars...

... but the DVR is supposed to record stuff, thats why its called a DVR...

... I know why its called a DVR sir...

... No, I don't think you do... because if you did, it would have recorded my show ... see, you know how to take a recording request, but you don't know how to keep a recording request... anybody can just take recording requests...

:D :D :D

#15 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,791 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:25 PM

Since this recording ended @ 7:05, could that have had some impact?
A.K.A VOS

#16 OFFLINE   Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye

AllStar

• Registered
  • 218 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:18 PM

Had this issue multiple times on the History channel, myself. No apparent reason, but I suspect it had something to do with those added minutes in the program, where it starts maybe a minute past the half-hour and ends two minutes past the next half hour.

After this happened a few times to me (and finally checking the to do list ahead of time and finding not only programs no longer there, but the DVR would not "take" the program even if I tried to reset it multiple ways).

I just worked around it with a manual weekly recording. Mine's an HR21-700 that's had this issue for several months. The problem does not seem to be consistent. I only realized in the last couple of weeks that I wasn't just losing my mind and forgetting to set the recording when I thought that I had.

#17 OFFLINE   davevdg

davevdg

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:22 PM

It really stinks when this happens on a live sporting event you have scheduled to record because you'll be out and want to watch the game when you get home. There is no alternate recording it picks for the live event, it just decides to record nothing. This has happened to me at least twice the last couple of years.

#18 OFFLINE   SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 957 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:17 PM

No idea how the implementation works, but if changing the start / end time causes the DVR to cancel the recording, thats a stupid implementation. I'd rather have it record the wrong program by accident then have it miss the real program.

#19 OFFLINE   rocuroniumm

rocuroniumm

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:52 PM

I had the same problem. I set to record from the guide one hour before the program began. I saw the record light come on. But the next day when I went to watch, it was no longer there. Same error in the history, but I saw the program recording. I have a HR20-100.

#20 OFFLINE   smitbret

smitbret

Legend

• Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:53 AM

NVM

Protected By... spam firewall...And...