Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Christina Applegate leaves Up All Night

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,895 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:42 PM

Personally, I think the show won't be around long, if it even comes back.

http://insidetv.ew.c...ight/?hpt=hp_t4

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,426 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:55 PM

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#3 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 38,662 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:56 PM

They trashed the show anyways ... time to move on.

#4 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:20 PM

I hope she apologized to everyone who will lose their jobs when the co-star bails.
DTV = Digital Television

#5 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,495 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:30 PM

I hope she apologized to everyone who will lose their jobs when the co-star bails.

The show was/is bailing on itself. She just got off a sinking ship is all.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#6 OFFLINE   pablo

pablo

Icon

• Registered
  • 892 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 03:21 AM

Love the show. What happened?

#7 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 04:10 AM

She and Will were pretty good together, and there was some clever writing. But for me, shoehorning in the execrable and staggeringly unfunny Maya Rudolph was a showkiller.

There's talk of just shoving 50-something Lisa Kudrow in there next season. I won't dignify that move with a comment.

#8 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 11,895 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:47 PM

Love the show. What happened?

They are converting it from a single camera to multi camera show in front of a studio audience. They are on their third show runner, and the creator left.

Just cut the losses and cancel. It's done.

#9 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,365 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 04:57 PM

She and Will were pretty good together, and there was some clever writing. But for me, shoehorning in the execrable and staggeringly unfunny Maya Rudolph was a showkiller.

There's talk of just shoving 50-something Lisa Kudrow in there next season. I won't dignify that move with a comment.

I know this may be surprising but I could not agree with you more, except for the "clever writing" part. I'm glad you didn't comment, and for a lot of reasons. But I just can't help myself:

There are actresses at the 50 mark that can still bring it; LK is not one of them, never has been, and I always failed to see what anyone saw in her all the way back to Mad About You. LK and MR both have that rare combination of being both unattractive and completely annoying. Friends was a fluke, LK was unexplicably a hot commodity at precisely the right point in time, and got cast in a show where the other 5, who were actually talented and appealing, carried her on their backs for 10 years; she really hit the lottery. Without all that "Smelly Cat" nonsense, the show might have run another season or two.

CA is a solid lead; WA is money in the bank. But no one can carry a show with no redeeming value in the writing. And the basic concept of stressed working parents is hardly new or exciting, or really even all that interresting, even if you can relate to that directly. If the writing were better (a lot better) they might have even been able to carry that boat anchor of MR.

The good news here is that now CA has the opportunity to be cast in a new show that I can actually watch.
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#10 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,414 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:06 PM

Tried to watch it once. All about dealing with a screaming rugrat ...... not interested.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#11 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 38,662 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:46 PM

Friends was a fluke, LK was unexplicably a hot commodity at precisely the right point in time, and got cast in a show where the other 5, who were actually talented and appealing, carried her on their backs for 10 years; she really hit the lottery. Without all that "Smelly Cat" nonsense, the show might have run another season or two.

LK's character was the ditsy friend ... most people with friends knows someone like here. Not quite all there. That type of character is portrayed on a lot of shows.

And yet despite her being her ... and Joey being the male version of her with a similar level of missing a clue at times ... they accept her and go on.

If the writing were better (a lot better) they might have even been able to carry that boat anchor of MR.

She was the ditsy boss causing stress to the marriage ... but with the show canceled (the show on the show) her presence is more annoying. I guess she portrays that friend people want to get out of their life.

They are all characters ... and I suppose there is some typecasting going on where Lisa plays ditsy often. Sometimes it is easier to keep playing the same type of role than to find a variety of roles. There are very few actors that can pull of completely different types of characters in different shows/movies.

#12 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:41 AM

But we agree that a fresh new premise with CA & WA could be awesome! They weren't the problem, the trite and limiting (and boring) premise and to some extent the writing was. And boat anchor MA.

#13 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 38,662 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:15 AM

But we agree that a fresh new premise with CA & WA could be awesome! They weren't the problem, the trite and limiting (and boring) premise and to some extent the writing was. And boat anchor MA.

I made no prediction about a future project with Christina and Will ... and thought the first season of Up All Night was fine with Maya Rudolph as a talk show host instead of an annoying unemployed friend who lives too close.

The first season had the hipsters who loved to party having the party interrupted by a little bundle of joy. But they managed to work around it with Mr Mom at home and the working mother wishing that she could be the one there raising the child instead of missing all of the firsts in her life. And they managed to work in some couples time as well ... they could still party.

The second season threw away the plot and started "fresh" with the same basic characters. But the Mr Mom aspect was gone ... it is now the mother's task to raise the child and wish that she was working. The father has been turned into a person who would rather do something ill paying instead of taking a boring job that will provide for his family. It is a premise for a show but it is so different from season one I wished that they had changed the name. It is not the same show.

The third season ... I do not expect it to happen. And unless they pull a Darrin (having Reagan played by Lisa instead of Christina) the show would need to be retooled again. It would be a third show with the same title ... and what would it be? A widower/divorced dad trying to raise a child alone with the help of his late/ex wife's brother (if he sticks around) and a ditsy new girlfriend (if Lisa plays ditsy again)?

The show is dead.

The success of a "fresh new premise with Christina and Will" would depend on the premise being good more than the actors.

Edited by James Long, 10 February 2013 - 11:20 AM.

#14 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,719 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:38 PM

Tried to watch it once. All about dealing with a screaming rugrat ...... not interested.

+1

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#15 OFFLINE   pablo

pablo

Icon

• Registered
  • 892 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:46 PM

I thought Christina and Will were great in this, both seasons. That was the reason I watched. This is really too bad.

#16 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 11,895 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:10 PM

Will Arnett has been cast in a CBS pilot. He's under contract for Up All Night, so if they did bring it back he couldn't go to CBS, but the only thing left for Up All Night is for NBC to announce the obvious.

http://www.washingto...670da_blog.html

#17 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:39 AM

Of the two, Will is the real prize. He'll do well wherever he goes.

#18 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,495 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:50 AM

Will Arnett has been cast in a CBS pilot. He's under contract for Up All Night, so if they did bring it back he couldn't go to CBS, but the only thing left for Up All Night is for NBC to announce the obvious.

http://www.washingto...670da_blog.html

It's a Greg Garcia show too. He'll be much better there than Up All Night.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#19 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:13 AM

The risk for Will is that NBC renews the show just to keep him from going to CBS.
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

spam firewall