Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Signal issues

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,734 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:09 PM

Been having major signal issues for over a half hour now. Can't really get anything at all. I look outside and it's just a real light snow / rain mix. It's so light though and we've had signals before in worse than this. My visibility is still really good looking outside.

Anything in general I should be checking?

image-1998748629.jpg

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,814 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:16 PM

I understand it is a wet snow, which doesn't take much to block signal. Any way to clean off your dish?

#3 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,734 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:19 PM

I understand it is a wet snow, which doesn't take much to block signal. Any way to clean off your dish?

Nope can't reach it. We had more snow than this before and never had a problem. I didn't go out to check yet. Looking out front, the neighbors two black HD dish network antennas look clear.

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#4 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,499 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:17 PM

Sooper Soaker style squirt gun with warm water can clear the snow off of your dish.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#5 OFFLINE   jagrim

jagrim

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,569 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:47 AM

Sooper Soaker style squirt gun with warm water can clear the snow off of your dish.

Sounds like an experienced solution.

#6 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,734 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:12 AM

Sounds like a great solution!

Anyway this morning everything works fine. I ended up going to bed but the wife picked a movie from showtime on demand. Thanks to the internet working great she was able to watch it no issues. Which reminds me, if DirecTV's servers have some live streaming channels (as seen on iPad and iPhone)... it would be neat if the DVR could tune into this same feed, as its on the internet.

At one point I did watch some cable Clear QAM. Though not a lot of HD - its whatever comes in unencrypted since I have cable for internet and phone.

Today I left for work (where I am now) and did not have time to look at the face of the dish. However I did see some snow on the arm.

I've had DirecTV since 9/2010. This is the first time that snow could have ever caused a signal issue. We've had more snow than this in the past too. What do you think it was, the way the wind was blowing or the angle? Can't believe it took this long to experience it. Its so rare that I don't think a dish heater would be worth it.

Another thing I thought of is wrap the end of my pole saw in a towel, then fully extend it. I might be able to brush it off with that in the future.

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#7 OFFLINE   242424

AllStar

• Registered
  • 220 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:13 AM

Slush on the dish is worse than snow

#8 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:12 PM

I've never had a problem with snow on my dish (and in Wisconsin we get plenty of it). But I did have a problem once with a bad LNB that let water into it because the plastic seal wasn't intact. The first hint of moisture (rain, snow, etc.) and the signal levels would take a dive. When it dried out, up went the signal levels. Perhaps that is your problem.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#9 OFFLINE   Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye

AllStar

• Registered
  • 163 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:51 PM

Freezing rain and/or slush and wetter snow can do a number on the signal and not be all that visible from a distance. The warm water thing works great to clear it.

Fortunately for me mine's mounted on a thick wooden post cemented into the back yard for easy access, but the first time this season it went out from inside the house it looked fine. It was only after getting right up to it I could actually see the icy buildup. Unfortunately, this season seems to be record for this problem.

I guess they make heaters for these things, and I'd definitely consider one if my dish were roof-mounted or where I couldn't easily get at it.

#10 OFFLINE   GregLee

GregLee

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:35 PM

A storm anywhere between the satellites and your dish can interrupt reception. It happens to me occasionally that my dish is fine, the sun is shining, yet I get 771 errors. But the satellites are lower in the sky from Hawaii, so I suppose the signal has more of Earth's atmosphere to traverse and more chance to hit a storm. Maybe this doesn't happen so much there in the 48 contiguous states.
Greg

spam firewall