Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Sports Channels/Networks not offered by DirecTV

• Please log in to reply
169 replies to this topic

#76 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,878 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:30 PM

What does this have to do with my point about college sports on DirecTV? :confused:

Strange

Sandra

ESPNU is all college sports. Dish does not have it in HD, unless it was added recently. That does have something to do with college sports leadership.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#77 OFFLINE   donalddickerson2005

donalddickerson2005

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 02:07 PM

So what troll?

I love directv, but they should have the pac twelve network.

There are plenty of games on that network this year that I missed because directv does not offer.

Just because they have the best coverage they should stop adding new channels?

I would like to see pac12 in by football season. However if it is not there I will not be running to dish.
As for dish heck they may lose all ESPN networks before the end of the year who knows if they will get a new contract after the court fight they just had.
Hr34-700 living room
C31-700 bedroom
H23-600 family room

#78 OFFLINE   Sandra

Sandra

Legend

• Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 03:40 PM

I am fan of both college and professional sports, and I will not be running to Dish either. That said, I wish DirecTV would find a way to get teh Pac-12 Networks on the air....very disappointing.

Sandra

#79 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,878 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:11 PM

I am fan of both college and professional sports, and I will not be running to Dish either. That said, I wish DirecTV would find a way to get teh Pac-12 Networks on the air....very disappointing.

Sandra

I'd like it, too, but not so disappointed. I would only be if I were specifically a Pac 12 fan. I am not. I am a Big Ten fan and overall college sports fan, so I get enough.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#80 OFFLINE   DawgLink

DawgLink

Woof Woof Woof

• Registered
  • 1,543 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:30 PM

I'd like it, too, but not so disappointed. I would only be if I were specifically a Pac 12 fan. I am not. I am a Big Ten fan and overall college sports fan, so I get enough.

Agreed. Price hikes will occur whether or not the PAC-12 is added but if the PAC-12 addition would mean another dime added to my bill? No thanks.

#81 OFFLINE   Sandra

Sandra

Legend

• Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:24 PM

Agreed. Price hikes will occur whether or not the PAC-12 is added but if the PAC-12 addition would mean another dime added to my bill? No thanks.

The way I look at it, with all our sports packages we're already paying DirecTV a fortune every month in our house...instead of paying a fortune to get most of the games I'd rather pay a fortune plus a dime (or a few dollars) to get ALL of the games.

That's my opinion...YMMV.

Sandra

#82 OFFLINE   joshadam84

joshadam84

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:44 PM

I'm all for the PAC 12 Network being added. Not a specific fan of the conference, but I love college basketball. The network has had many great games this year.. Hopefully it'll be picked up prior to the football season.

#83 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,878 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:32 PM

The way I look at it, with all our sports packages we're already paying DirecTV a fortune every month in our house...instead of paying a fortune to get most of the games I'd rather pay a fortune plus a dime (or a few dollars) to get ALL of the games.

That's my opinion...YMMV.

Sandra

If it were a fortune and a dime, maybe. But what if it is a fortune and a mini fortune?

For directv, it all comes down to numbers. A deal for PAC 12 across the country is evidentially not cost effective for them. They can't just pass it on as it would raise everyone's rates. They have to judge it from that perspective. If they could just charge those who want it and are willing to pay (like yourself) while still bring vcist effective, I'm sure they would do it.

But I think you already know all that.

#84 OFFLINE   Sandra

Sandra

Legend

• Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:18 AM

If it were a fortune and a dime, maybe. But what if it is a fortune and a mini fortune?

Yeah, if my bill would go up by $50-$100 or so by adding the Pac-12 Networks, that would give you pause. But chances are we're talking about a few extra dollars per month, if that.

Sandra

#85 OFFLINE   DawgLink

DawgLink

Woof Woof Woof

• Registered
  • 1,543 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:05 AM

Yeah, if my bill would go up by $50-$100 or so by adding the Pac-12 Networks, that would give you pause. But chances are we're talking about a few extra dollars per month, if that.

Sandra

A few bucks a month does mean something to me.

#86 OFFLINE   donalddickerson2005

donalddickerson2005

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:19 AM

Sandra

You would be for a $3 a month price raise. If so thru a 2 year contract that would be $72 more dollars.
Hr34-700 living room
C31-700 bedroom
H23-600 family room

#87 OFFLINE   Sandra

Sandra

Legend

• Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:24 AM

You would be for a $3 a month price raise. If so thru a 2 year contract that would be $72 more dollars.

$3 a month for the Pac-12 networks? In a heartbeat!!!!!!!!!

I already pay over $200 per month most months to DirecTV...I would not care at all if my bill went from $205 - $208 in a month, for example. You want to pinch pennies (or a few dollars), go to Dish.

Sandra

#88 OFFLINE   TJNash

TJNash

AllStar

• Registered
  • 164 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:23 AM

I already pay over $200 per month most months to DirecTV...I would not care at all if my bill went from $205 - $208 in a month, for example. You want to pinch pennies (or a few dollars), go to Dish.

Sandra

While that works for you, for many people, a few dollars makes a difference. And a few dollars, here, a few dollars there, adds up quite quickly. DirecTV has to walk a fine line when adding costs across the board, because most subscribers are not in your boat. Consider yourself fortunate.

#89 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,265 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:44 AM

Sandra

I would be fine with it too if the increase only applied to those who want to subscribe to the PAC 12 network. I pay $135.95 per month, which includes $12.95 for the sports pack. I do not mind paying $12.95 to get the SEC and Big 10 games along with Universal Sports (even if it is only in SD), but if the sports pack goes to $15.95 just to add the PAC 12 network, I would not be happy. The majority of those games do not start until 11:00 PM on the east coast, and I cannot stay up that late to watch them. It is bad enough that half of the SEC games do not start until 9:00 PM.

If the game is in the middle of the night on the East Coast, then those on the East Coast should not have to pay the same amount as those on the West Coast do.

#90 OFFLINE   donalddickerson2005

donalddickerson2005

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:55 AM

Sandra

I have to have DirecTV for my mlbie nhlci and nflst. I have had dish in the past and there is a reason a switched. Look if they just added the pac12 I would be happy I do not know how much the big10 is costing us but I do not see it on my bill.
Just like one of the other posters stated we live in the east and those games do not get over till after 1am and if you have to work there is no reason to watch. As for DVRing it why since you will turn on SC in the morning to see all the scores.
Hr34-700 living room
C31-700 bedroom
H23-600 family room

#91 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:58 AM

A few bucks a month does mean something to me.

And that's the dilemma. There are many folks like yourself where it does mean something (real or just on principle) and there are others like Sandra that just say add it to the bill. DTV has tried to answer both by offering it to those that want it only, but Pac 12 has said no. That way Sandra could get it, Dawg and others could pass.

That's where it stands right now.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#92 OFFLINE   TJNash

TJNash

AllStar

• Registered
  • 164 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:11 PM

I would be fine with it too if the increase only applied to those who want to subscribe to the PAC 12 network. I pay $135.95 per month, which includes $12.95 for the sports pack. I do not mind paying $12.95 to get the SEC and Big 10 games along with Universal Sports (even if it is only in SD), but if the sports pack goes to $15.95 just to add the PAC 12 network, I would not be happy. The majority of those games do not start until 11:00 PM on the east coast, and I cannot stay up that late to watch them. It is bad enough that half of the SEC games do not start until 9:00 PM.

If the game is in the middle of the night on the East Coast, then those on the East Coast should not have to pay the same amount as those on the West Coast do.

Not disagreeing about your point in the financial sense, but as a west coast resident should I pay less for all those games that start at 4:00 Pacific time while we are all at work? Last I checked, we all pay the same rates.

#93 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:14 PM

http://www.nydailyne...ticle-1.1279503
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#94 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,381 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:21 PM

Two of the many reasons I like living on the West Coast is that most sports events are over well before midnight here and that there's no delay in Sunday night network TV during the pro football season. And the Oscars award show ended at 9 pm instead of midnight here.

But, yes, I'd like to see DirecTV and Verizon, my carrier, both carry the PAC-12 network, although I understand the reasoning behind both providers not doing so.
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#95 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,313 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:23 PM

Not disagreeing about your point in the financial sense, but as a west coast resident should I pay less for all those games that start at 4:00 Pacific time while we are all at work? Last I checked, we all pay the same rates.

Gentlemen:

It seems you're both overlooking the critical feature of DVRs. If one is careful, one can watch almost anything 12-24 hours later without spoilers. One has to avoid certain websites as well as local TV news or daily newspapers, and tell one's mouthy co-workers to stifle it, but it can be done!
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#96 OFFLINE   TJNash

TJNash

AllStar

• Registered
  • 164 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:29 PM

Gentlemen:

It seems you're both overlooking the critical feature of DVRs. If one is careful, one can watch almost anything 12-24 hours later without spoilers. One has to avoid certain websites as well as local TV news or daily newspapers, and tell one's mouthy co-workers to stifle it, but it can be done!

I am very adept at shielding myself from being spoiled while I time shift a game or two. My point was that all time zones face challenges from games played in other time zones, and no one deserves a price break because of it.

#97 OFFLINE   donalddickerson2005

donalddickerson2005

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:31 PM

http://www.nydailyne...ticle-1.1279503

Even there with all the sports to choose from I will still have to have a 2nd dish for my crickert. I wish fox would get the rights to the cricket matches that would be awesome.
Hr34-700 living room
C31-700 bedroom
H23-600 family room

#98 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,878 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:19 PM

I would be fine with it too if the increase only applied to those who want to subscribe to the PAC 12 network. I pay $135.95 per month, which includes $12.95 for the sports pack. I do not mind paying $12.95 to get the SEC and Big 10 games along with Universal Sports (even if it is only in SD)

Unless you have something lower than Choice (doesn't sound it with your bill), you do not need the Sports Pack for Big Ten games. BTN is included in all packages Choice and above.

#99 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,265 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:44 PM

Gentlemen:

That works well when you are on the west coast and only have to delay the start for the 7:00 games by two or three hours, but on the east coast you have to delay 18 or 19 hours, and then you have to choose between watching a replay of last night's west coast game or watching the east coast games for the next night live (except for Fridays, when the Ivy league is the only one playing). Half of the east coast games start at 9:00, so that is perfect on the west coast without the need for time shifting.

#100 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,265 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:47 PM

Unless you have something lower than Choice (doesn't sound it with your bill), you do not need the Sports Pack for Big Ten games. BTN is included in all packages Choice and above.

I do have Choice Plus, but I really bought the Sports Pack to get Fox Sports South and MSG, since they show the SEC network games and Universal Sports and NBC Sports for cycling. The Big 10 is nice to have, too. I did not realize it came with Choice.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...