Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

News Corp to end Speed and Fuel Channels, convert them to Fox Sports

• Please log in to reply
132 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mitchflorida

mitchflorida

Godfather

• Registered
  • 423 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:37 AM

News Corp will unveil its long-rumored national sports channel to advertisers in early March in its drive to siphon viewers and advertisers from sports behemoth ESPN, according to two people with knowledge of the launch.

The Fox Corp unit will soon send advertisers invitations to its first sports "upfront" presentation, the TV industry's annual unveiling of new shows, for a splashy New York City event, the sources said. It will make sales pitches for both its 22 regional sports channels and its new Fox Sports 1 and Fox Sports 2 national channels.

...[mod edit: reduced the quoted copyrighted material.]

The two new channels are expected to begin broadcasting games in August and would expand its offerings in 2014, the person said.

http://www.reuters.c...N0B7IYX20130208

Edited by Tom Robertson, 10 February 2013 - 10:40 PM.
copyright reduction

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,692 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:45 AM

Can't say I'm surprised.

Specialty channels like these will likely see more similar consolidation over the next couple of years.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#3 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,830 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:16 AM

Yeah, definitely not surprised. This has been rumored ever since FOX took over SPEED.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#4 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,212 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:02 AM

Will they channels move to new spots in the guide?
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#5 OFFLINE   mitchflorida

mitchflorida

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 423 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:04 AM

I guess I am the odd man out because I never watch any sports programming and continue to pay up the ying yang for them. NetFlix is looking better and better to me.

They are quadrupling their rates for these channels, as you can imagine.

#6 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:05 AM

Will they channels move to new spots in the guide?

Depends on their agreement and discussions with providers.
DTV = Digital Television

#7 OFFLINE   mitchflorida

mitchflorida

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 423 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:10 AM

Depends on their agreement and discussions with providers.

One day you will wake up and instead of saying Speed on the Guide, it will say Fox Sports 1.

Fox is asking 90 cents to $1 per subscriber for its Fox Sports 1 channel, according to a person with knowledge of the discussion, and expects to increase that price in future years.

Some of Fox's contracts with the cable and satellite channels also have provisions that allow some increases in the monthly fees they pay to carry its sports channels that would escalate if they were to add more popular programs, such as Major League baseball, said one of the people.

#8 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:13 AM

One day you will wake up and instead of saying Speed on the Guide, it will say Fox Sports 1.

Fox is asking 90 cents to $1 per subscriber for its Fox Sports 1 channel, according to a person with knowledge of the discussion, and expects to increase that price in future years.

Some of Fox's contracts with the cable and satellite channels also have provisions that allow some increases in the monthly fees they pay to carry its sports channels that would escalate if they were to add more popular programs, such as Major League baseball, said one of the people.

I know.

The question is whether or not they will move in the guide.
DTV = Digital Television

#9 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,971 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:14 AM

I guess I am the odd man out because I never watch any sports programming and continue to pay up the ying yang for them. ...

That's ok... many people have to pay for your favorite channels and don't watch them.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#10 OFFLINE   mitchflorida

mitchflorida

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 423 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:25 AM

That's ok... many people have to pay for your favorite channels and don't watch them.

You are missing my point, but that's okay.

#11 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,762 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:55 AM

Fox will convert its motorsports channel Speed into Fox Sports 1. It will convert its extreme sports channel Fuel into Fox Sports 2, the person said, and would also offer subscribers the ability to get the channels on mobile devices.

SPEED changed its logo last year when Fox Sports 1 was first mentioned. Their logo now has Fox Sports prominent with SPEED underneath it. It would be easy to replace the SPEED with a "1" or "One".

Hopefully Fox will not go too crazy with price increases for the channels ... but it is Fox and they like to charge for their programming.

#12 OFFLINE   mitchflorida

mitchflorida

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 423 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:14 PM

SPEED changed its logo last year when Fox Sports 1 was first mentioned. Their logo now has Fox Sports prominent with SPEED underneath it. It would be easy to replace the SPEED with a "1" or "One".

Hopefully Fox will not go too crazy with price increases for the channels ... but it is Fox and they like to charge for their programming.

ESPN charges about $8 a month. Fox Sports will be about $1.60 for the both of their channels. That is quite a bargain!

#13 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:24 PM

ESPN charges about $8 a month.

That's the current guess.
DTV = Digital Television

#14 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:22 PM

I'm all for a sports channel with no Chris Berman.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#15 OFFLINE   FenixTX

FenixTX

Godfather

• Registered
  • 468 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:22 PM

ESPN charges about $8 a month. Fox Sports will be about $1.60 for the both of their channels. That is quite a bargain!

ESPN isn't $8 a month. It's a little over $5 a month.
Go Big Red!!!

#16 OFFLINE   tulanejosh

tulanejosh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:25 PM

You are missing my point, but that's okay.

I don't think he's missing your point. You pay for channels you don't watch and implied that another model or provider was maybe more in line with your viewing habits. He's pointing out that the situation exists regardless of what it is that you actually want to watch - some one us always going to pay for something they don't want... Even on Netflix.

#17 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,971 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:29 PM

I don't think he's missing your point. You pay for channels you don't watch and implied that another model or provider was maybe more in line with your viewing habits. He's pointing out that the situation exists regardless of what it is that you actually want to watch - some one us always going to pay for something they don't want... Even on Netflix.

Bingo. ;)
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#18 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:42 PM

ESPN isn't $8 a month. It's a little over $5 a month.

We have no idea how much it is.
DTV = Digital Television

#19 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,938 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:49 PM

Like about $100 million for House of Cards?

#20 OFFLINE   donalddickerson2005

donalddickerson2005

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:06 PM

All of these comments is why I am for pay per channel but then some channels would just go away because there would be no one watching. But then again if I had to pay knowingly $5 for ESPN I might not even though I'm a sports nut.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...