Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

News Corp to end Speed and Fuel Channels, convert them to Fox Sports

• Please log in to reply
132 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   trekologer

trekologer

Legend

• Registered
  • 124 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:17 PM

All of these comments is why I am for pay per channel but then some channels would just go away because there would be no one watching. But then again if I had to pay knowingly $5 for ESPN I might not even though I'm a sports nut.

You wouldn't be paying $5 for ESPN. Assuming it is $5/subscriber, the pricing model is based on all subscribers for the provider having the channels. If channels were sold al-a-carte, the price per channel would go up simply because there would be fewer subscribers buying them.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   mitchflorida

mitchflorida

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 423 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:48 PM

All of these comments is why I am for pay per channel but then some channels would just go away because there would be no one watching. But then again if I had to pay knowingly $5 for ESPN I might not even though I'm a sports nut.

there so many crap stations that no one watches, like Style, Logo, VH1 Classic, OWN, food, cooking, they are forced to carry them because they are packaged with more popular channels and the big companies say All or Nothing.

I have about had it and in a couple of weeks I am canceling all of my cable and gettting Netflix instead. For news I will just go on Fox or CNN website for free.

Screw it. If you want to pay up the ying yang for hundreds of channels you never watch, good luck to you.

#23 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,961 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:03 PM

there so many crap stations that no one watches, like Style, Logo, VH1 Classic, OWN, food, ...

No one huh? The Food Network does fairly well.

http://tvbythenumber...history/126036/

NEW YORK – March 26, 2012–Food Network delivers its highest-rated, most-watched quarter ever posting a .6 among adults 25-54 (up 20% from 2011) and was watched nightly by an average of 1.3 million total viewers (645k adults 25-54), making it ranked 9th * among ad-supported cable networks for the quarter, up two spots from 2011.

Style network started well...

http://www.thefutonc...rvZeGx62PQeC.99

The Style Network marked its best year ever becoming the fastest growing cable network in 2011, according to Nielsen.

But I get it... You don't watch it, so it's crap. :rolleyes:
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#24 OFFLINE   Griffs77

Griffs77

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:16 PM

News Corp will unveil its long-rumored national sports channel to advertisers in early March in its drive to siphon viewers and advertisers from sports behemoth ESPN, according to two people with knowledge of the launch.

Daytime talk show host Regis Philbin is in talks to host a daily afternoon show with other hosts on Fox Sports 1, according to one of the sources, and could appear at the event.

Fox might make the right moves to unseat ESPN, but not with Regis. No disrespect, but 90% of ESPN viewers wouldn't be able to identify him unless maybe Who Wants To Be a Millionaire returns to prime time without Meredith Viera.

Fox might want some more firepower to take on Entertainment & Sports Programming Network!

#25 OFFLINE   alnielsen

alnielsen

Godfather

• Registered
  • 456 posts
  • LocationDuPage Co. IL

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:01 PM

there so many crap stations that no one watches, like Style, Logo, VH1 Classic, OWN, food, cooking, they are forced to carry them because they are packaged with more popular channels and the big companies say All or Nothing.

I have about had it and in a couple of weeks I am canceling all of my cable and gettting Netflix instead. For news I will just go on Fox or CNN website for free.

Screw it. If you want to pay up the ying yang for hundreds of channels you never watch, good luck to you.

There are many of us that wish Viacom would offer VH1C in HD. This can be found in the HD Anticipation thread. Besides, these channels add pennies to our cable bills (I don't watch the others listed either). The one that does add a lot to your bill is the ESPN suite.

I know Formula One is going to NBC Sports Net. I'm wondering what will become of the other non-NASCAR auto racing content once the change takes place.

Direct TV subscriber since 1999
Choice Ultimate Customer
Equipment:: HR21-700 HR20-700 H20-100 (owned) SlimLine 5 Antenna
Winegard HD 8800 8-Bay for OTA

KC9ZOU

#26 OFFLINE   donalddickerson2005

donalddickerson2005

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:52 PM

There are many of us that wish Viacom would offer VH1C in HD. This can be found in the HD Anticipation thread. Besides, these channels add pennies to our cable bills (I don't watch the others listed either). The one that does add a lot to your bill is the ESPN suite.

I know Formula One is going to NBC Sports Net. I'm wondering what will become of the other non-NASCAR auto racing content once the change takes place.

Also I would love if they put all the sports into 1 package say 1500 a year I'd buy it and then just get local stations.

#27 OFFLINE   thelucky1

thelucky1

Icon

• Registered
  • 906 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:52 PM

I'm all for a sports channel with no Chris Berman.

Amen!!!! I'm don't enjoy watching most of the talking heads on ESPN.

Being a sports fan, I'm excited to see these new channels.
A DIRECTV Customer since 1998 :)

#28 OFFLINE   FenixTX

FenixTX

Godfather

• Registered
  • 468 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:54 PM

We have no idea how much it is.

image-3329798065.jpg
Go Big Red!!!

#29 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,737 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:57 PM

Pennies add up, especially for channels that are forced on the carriers because their owners will not allow more popular channels to be carried without a carriage offer for the "lesser networks". If a company like Viacom can force a carrier to carry a dollar or two per month worth of "lesser channels" that fewer people watch that money has to come from somewhere. The bandwidth needs to come from somewhere as well ... even if the channel is in SD bandwidth is needed to transmit it. And if the channel is available in HD the provider would be crazy not to push for HD carriage.

It will probably get pushed off to "Fox Sports 2" when "Fox Sports 1" is needed for non-racing sports.

87 million subscribers to SPEED, 37 million subscribers to Fuel. Unless that changes over the next year the better sports should end up on SPEED (FS1) and the other stuff on Fuel (FS2).

BTW: In answer to an earlier question, both satellite providers could move Fuel next to Speed without seriously disrupting their channel lineups.

#30 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:01 PM

Those are estimates.
DTV = Digital Television

#31 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,737 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:14 PM

Those are estimates.

Got better numbers than those from a respected industry source who makes their money tracking these things? :rolleyes:

#32 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:54 PM

Got better numbers than those from a respected industry source who makes their money tracking these things? :rolleyes:

Estimates James. Nothing more.
DTV = Digital Television

#33 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,135 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:59 PM

Estimates from what sources? Give some proof like you demand all the time from everyone else.
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#34 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:07 PM

Estimates from what sources? Give some proof like you demand all the time from everyone else.

...try reading what was posted or visiting the website they came from. That might be a good place to start. :rolleyes:
DTV = Digital Television

#35 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,353 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:27 PM

I guess I am the odd man out because I never watch any sports programming and continue to pay up the ying yang for them. NetFlix is looking better and better to me.

They are quadrupling their rates for these channels, as you can imagine.

I am sure we can all say that we are paying for channels we dont like that someone else does. Better to share the costs so we all get what we want.
Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#36 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,737 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:03 PM

So you do not have better numbers. And since trusted people like satelliteracer has linked to SNL Kagen as a source in the past I would say that they are a decent source.

Do you think the SNL Kagen numbers are wrong? If so provide a better source. If you cannot provide a better source then there is no reason to be argumentative about the numbers.

#37 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:05 PM

So you do not have better numbers. And since trusted people like satelliteracer has linked to SNL Kagen as a source in the past I would say that they are a decent source.

Do you think the SNL Kagen numbers are wrong? If so provide a better source. If you cannot provide a better source then there is no reason to be argumentative about the numbers.

They are an estimate. If you can prove otherwise...be my guest.
DTV = Digital Television

#38 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:14 PM

Are you going to wait until the paint dries or just walk on it?

#39 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,737 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:22 PM

They are an estimate.

So you do can not provide better figures. Moving on ...

#40 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:23 PM

So you do not dispute the numbers and can provide no better figures. Moving on ...

As I said...they are estimates. I'm all ears if you can prove otherwise.
DTV = Digital Television

Protected By... spam firewall...And...