Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

News Corp to end Speed and Fuel Channels, convert them to Fox Sports

• Please log in to reply
132 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   donalddickerson2005

donalddickerson2005

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:26 PM

Oh. So. Wrong.

Their rights are regional.

They do have national cable rights to some games in the next deal.

I hope though that they will show more than 1 game on Saturday afternoon now. Put the main game on fox and then 2 others on fox 1-2.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   alnielsen

alnielsen

Godfather

• Registered
  • 471 posts
  • LocationDuPage Co. IL

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:33 PM

On the bright side, neither ESPN nor Fox Sports have not gone down the Reality Road and replaced their main programming with that crap.

Yet.

Speed (a part of Fox Sports) has.
Car Warriors
Dangerous Drives
Pass Time
PINKS
Wrecked

Direct TV subscriber since 1999
Choice Ultimate Customer
Equipment:: HR21-700 HR20-700 H20-100 (owned) SlimLine 5 Antenna
Winegard HD 8800 8-Bay for OTA

KC9ZOU

#83 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,087 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:17 PM

Similar to branding in Australia and New Zealand. One has to wonder if we will see international sport from the Fox owned Sky Sports and Fox Sports networks overseas. That will really make things interesting and worth it a 80 cents per channel.

Probably ... Fuel had Rugby this morning.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#84 OFFLINE   mitchflorida

mitchflorida

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 423 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by tulanejosh
I don't think he's missing your point. You pay for channels you don't watch and implied that another model or provider was maybe more in line with your viewing habits. He's pointing out that the situation exists regardless of what it is that you actually want to watch - some one us always going to pay for something they don't want... Even on Netflix.

The last time I checked, Netflix was not charging me $90+ a month for their programming. Netflix only charges me $8. And I actually liked their new show House of Cards!

#85 OFFLINE   adkinsjm

adkinsjm

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:42 PM

Oh. So. Wrong.

Their rights are regional.

They do have national cable rights to some games in the next deal.

The writers for Multichannel News are generally ignorant on many things. They usually just rewrite press releases.

#86 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,066 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:43 PM

The last time I checked, Netflix was not charging me $100+ a month for their programming. Netflix only charges me $8. And I actually liked their new show House of Cards!

Unlike the networks, Netflix doesn't have to fund the development of shows from the start. Not every new show is a success, even shows that don't make it past pilot still cost money since the actors, writers and crew still need to get paid for filming the rejected pilot.

Now if Netflix decides to start actively developing shows from the scratch like the networks do (complete with rejected pilots and failed shows that do get picked up but get cancelled after 2-3 episodes), instead of just picking up shows that were further along in the process like House of Cards, or already established shows with a known cult following like Arrested Development, there's no way that $8 a month subscription will fund that and the license fees for acquired movies and programming from other networks.

#87 OFFLINE   adkinsjm

adkinsjm

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:45 PM

Probably ... Fuel had Rugby this morning.

Rugby league, which FOX already has the rights to.

#88 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,664 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:56 PM

The last time I checked, Netflix was not charging me $90+ a month for their programming. Netflix only charges me $8. And I actually liked their new show House of Cards!

In other words, it is not paying for things you don't watch, it is the price of things you don't watch, which, I think was a point a few posts back.

And been my point all along. Nobody cares if the channel they don't watch costs 2 cents. It is when it costs 5 bucks and probably impacts your bill when we care.

It is not a la carte that people care about, it is how much money they are spending.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#89 OFFLINE   donalddickerson2005

donalddickerson2005

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:59 PM

Maybe fox can pick up the cricket ticket and put it on fox sports 1-2

#90 OFFLINE   tulanejosh

tulanejosh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:46 PM

Right - so I think you are missing my point. Like i said, based on what you are now saying, it's not really about whether or not you are paying for content you don't want, it's about what you bill total is.

And you know, just putting this out there, Cable and Satellite were at one point cheaper as well. It's not like Netflix or (insert alt company here) is going to be immune from price hikes forever. So in your own words - good luck! But i gotta ask, what are you going to do when Netflix has to start charging market rate?

#91 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,943 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:59 PM

ESPN charges about $8 a month. Fox Sports will be about $1.60 for the both of their channels. That is quite a bargain!

I don't know about now but in 1999-2000 our local cable company (Century Norwich Cable, Century Communications) was paying >$1/subscriber.

From Jan. '98 to Apr. '00 the per subscriber cost of ESPN (again Century Norwich Cable) increased 43%. At that rate it could easily be approaching $8/sub.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#92 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:59 PM

It's too bad DirecTV doesn't move ALL the sports channels into a sports tier like cable and reduce the package prices for those of us who never watch them (me).

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#93 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,087 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:02 PM

It's too bad DirecTV doesn't move ALL the sports channels into a sports tier like cable and reduce the package prices for those of us who never watch them (me).

What cable companies put ESPN in a sports tier?
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#94 OFFLINE   mitchflorida

mitchflorida

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 423 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:19 PM

[QUOTE But i gotta ask, what are you going to do when Netflix has to start charging market rate?[/QUOTE]

When it gets up to $90 a month in 40 years, I will cancel it.

#95 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,664 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:26 PM

How about when you ISP begins to cap your downloads?
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#96 OFFLINE   pdxBeav

pdxBeav

Godfather

• Registered
  • 419 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:37 PM

How about when you ISP begins to cap your downloads?

+1. This is the bigger concern.

#97 OFFLINE   stlcardsblues

stlcardsblues

Legend

• Registered
  • 104 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:16 PM

Fox might make the right moves to unseat ESPN, but not with Regis. No disrespect, but 90% of ESPN viewers wouldn't be able to identify him unless maybe Who Wants To Be a Millionaire returns to prime time without Meredith Viera.

Fox might want some more firepower to take on Entertainment & Sports Programming Network!

Did they learn from when they tried this in 1997 and failed. Guess Fox will keep trying until they get it right.

#98 OFFLINE   stlcardsblues

stlcardsblues

Legend

• Registered
  • 104 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:17 PM

If they do this, they would need to group all the channels into categories. My cable company tried this done years ago and it was expensive to order the channels you wanted.

#99 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,256 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:25 PM

I think that DIRECTV would be happy to do this if they could. There are channels, like ESPN, that if a distributor tried to move into a separate tier, the channel would laugh and say, "No". And should the distributor then drop the channel, they might as well shut down the company.

Since ESPN, CNN, and a few others won't move, the distributors have no choice. Those channels are still too important to distributors.

In fact, perhaps the only way it could happen would be a whole new distributor who could build a model entirely around not having those channels and plan the infrastructure accordingly. That might be the only way for a breakthrough to occur.

Peace,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#100 OFFLINE   wmb

wmb

Godfather

• Registered
  • 452 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:28 PM

+1. This is the bigger concern.

I'm not so sure. Cable internet margins are off the chart according to this:

http://bgr.com/2013/...margins-316532/

A cable company can make $50+ per house for high speed internet alone over the wires that they are currently making $50 per house for providing TV, and having to pay retransmit fees for the programming, reducing their margins. Of course for Netflicks and streaming options, you NEED premium high speed offerings at higher cost.:grin:

Protected By... spam firewall...And...