Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

News Corp to end Speed and Fuel Channels, convert them to Fox Sports

• Please log in to reply
132 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:45 PM

I read, in December 2011, Forbes predicted 10 major companies being dismantled by the end of 2013. Eight of them I had no interest in but Best Buy and Netflix caught my eye. I may need to check if they still stand by that prediction.
My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#102 OFFLINE   donalddickerson2005

donalddickerson2005

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:49 PM

If they do this, they would need to group all the channels into categories. My cable company tried this done years ago and it was expensive to order the channels you wanted.

I am all for a all sports package. As long as they include every sports PAC with it. I know it would be like 2 grand a year but I'd buy it along with 24.99 basic service to boot.

#103 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,305 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:00 PM

In fact, perhaps the only way it could happen would be a whole new distributor who could build a model entirely around not having those channels and plan the infrastructure accordingly. That might be the only way for a breakthrough to occur.

A distributor without core channels like CNN, ESPN, TWC, etc? I do not believe they would last long.

Such a distributor would be good as an add on (such as Netflix, Hulu Plus or Amazon work as add ons for people with OTA or other subscription sources). But to replace a full service provider they would have to be a full service provider.

Voom tried being a HD only provider ... and eventually had to add some SD channels to fill out their programming. People were buying Voom plus their regular satellite carrier - and people who could not afford that would have to decide to dump all their SD channels for Voom. What ever happened to the Voom satellite service? :)

There are certain channels people expect.

Plus the age old practice of bundling ... carriers can't get TNT and TBS without carrying other Turner Networks (like CNN). The Viacom channels, ABC/Disney channels, Fox channels, NBC/Universal channels ... one would need to survive without an entire company.

Sorry ... but the idea of becoming a major player without playing the game is just not feasible. Not carrying the historical core channels might work in a small market on cable but not with major players.

That being said, I believe a new entrant satellite company could have a shot - if they could get the satellite space. A new entrant could start where technology is today and not be tied down serving millions of customers with "legacy" equipment that still needs supporting. But the challenge of making such an offering without locals would limit their service to people who don't care about local networks or people who can receive them OTA. Another major challenge.

I believe we are stuck with the marketplace we have ... we might as well make the best of it.

#104 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,246 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:05 PM

That's pretty much what I was thinking. I surmised how it might happen--but don't really think it will happen. ESPN, with it's other holdings, is too big to leave out.

Peace,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#105 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:05 PM

A cable company can make $50+ per house for high speed internet alone over the wires that they are currently making $50 per house for providing TV, and having to pay retransmit fees for the programming, reducing their margins. Of course for Netflicks and streaming options, you NEED premium high speed offerings at higher cost.:grin:

My buddy had a Comcast technician out yesterday for frequent lag spikes and the technician told him that in our area, on the higher speed packages, 90% of the cost is pure revenue. It's rather alarming. Pricing on fiber connections is not even comparable. My buddy found a provider(sorry I don't remember which company) that was offering 75 meg down for about $65/mo at regular price, whereas Comcast charges $200 for their 100 meg connection(at least in our area).
My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#106 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,267 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:01 AM

My buddy had a Comcast technician out yesterday for frequent lag spikes and the technician told him that in our area, on the higher speed packages, 90% of the cost is pure revenue. It's rather alarming. Pricing on fiber connections is not even comparable. My buddy found a provider(sorry I don't remember which company) that was offering 75 meg down for about $65/mo at regular price, whereas Comcast charges $200 for their 100 meg connection(at least in our area).

And that is just bandwidth (speed). You get to reach a cap earlier in the month.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#107 OFFLINE   wmb

wmb

Godfather

• Registered
  • 452 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:20 AM

And that is just bandwidth (speed). You get to reach a cap earlier in the month.

A little more fuel for this fire...

http://news.yahoo.co...-150940049.html

When margins are 90%, who cares about caps? Give your customers a pipe, let them put as much through it as they want, take your high operating margins and laugh all the way to the bank. Let the content providers fend for themselves.

DirecTV, Dish, Netflicks and others may be able to carve out a niche as content aggregators.

#108 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,267 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:57 AM

A little more fuel for this fire...

http://news.yahoo.co...-150940049.html

When margins are 90%, who cares about caps? Give your customers a pipe, let them put as much through it as they want, take your high operating margins and laugh all the way to the bank. Let the content providers fend for themselves.

DirecTV, Dish, Netflicks and others may be able to carve out a niche as content aggregators.

But the pipes aren't big enough to just open the flood gates. The ISPs aren't imposing caps because they want to. They are doing it because they are facing a crunch themselves.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#109 OFFLINE   mitchflorida

mitchflorida

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 423 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:29 PM

DirecTv better be concerned. Intel just announced today that they will be offering TV service over the Internet, and that it will be a la carte. That means I don't have to pay for Food Channel, Style, ESPN, Logo , Spike, CMT, or OWN. Love it!

#110 OFFLINE   lokar

lokar

Icon

• Registered
  • 658 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:42 PM

But the pipes aren't big enough to just open the flood gates. The ISPs aren't imposing caps because they want to. They are doing it because they are facing a crunch themselves.

Not all ISPs have caps, meaning those that do are just making caps because they can. If they throttled people during peak periods, that would be something they could justify but having arbitrary caps is unnecessary, doesn't really ease the limited bandwidth problem and is done merely to screw over the consumer.

#111 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,267 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:47 PM

Not all ISPs have caps, meaning those that do are just making caps because they can. If they throttled people during peak periods, that would be something they could justify but having arbitrary caps is unnecessary, doesn't really ease the limited bandwidth problem and is done merely to screw over the consumer.

No, they don't all have caps currently, but to think that there is not a bandwidth crunch in this country is pretty naive.

#112 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,246 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:00 PM

DirecTv better be concerned. Intel just announced today that they will be offering TV service over the Internet, and that it will be a la carte. That means I don't have to pay for Food Channel, Style, ESPN, Logo , Spike, CMT, or OWN. Love it!

In this article, they say "smaller bundles". And they haven't actually signed any deals yet. So, don't get your hopes up too high...

"We have been working for (the past) year to set up Intel media, a new group focused on developing an Internet platform," Huggers said. "It's not a value play, it's a quality play where we'll create a superior experience for the end user."

Intel has struggled to get its virtual television service off the ground due to unwillingness on the part of major media content providers to let the company unbundle and license specific networks and shows at a discount to what cable and satellite partners pay, according to sources.

http://news.yahoo.co...6--finance.html

Peace,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#113 OFFLINE   prushing

prushing

Godfather

• Registered
  • 428 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:34 PM

As Tom pointed out, Intel can offer whatever they want to offer, but no channel has to let them sell their channel. Just wait to see what you will pay for just basic network channels that you get for free on OTA.

#114 OFFLINE   SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER

Freethinker

• Registered
  • 3,177 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:52 PM

Speed (a part of Fox Sports) has.
Car Warriors
Dangerous Drives
Pass Time
PINKS
Wrecked

Those are the shows that I hope to never see on the new channel.

Living Room:
Sony KDL-55EX720
HR44-700
AM21
Sony BDP-S360 Networked
Bedroom:
Sony KDL-40EX720
HR24-200
Sony DVP-NS75H

#115 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,305 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:10 PM

"It's not a value play, it's a quality play"

So it won't be cheap. :)

#116 OFFLINE   donalddickerson2005

donalddickerson2005

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:22 PM

Bet you, your subcription is WAY more pricy $$$ than what we have now. I expect to hear that they will be charging 3-5 dollars per basic channel.

#117 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:10 PM

No, they don't all have caps currently, but to think that there is not a bandwidth crunch in this country is pretty naive.

Any bandwidth crunch comes from an unwillingness to upgrade infrastructure - and since, in most cities, truly high speed internet is a monopoly situation, they haven't had to.
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#118 OFFLINE   luckydob

luckydob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 451 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:11 PM

We've been hearing this for years...mobile broadband, yes there is a crunch to some degree. Landlines, not so much...plenty of bandwidth out there. Is this ISP willing to offer it by upgrading/updating equipment?

#119 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,267 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:22 PM

Any bandwidth crunch comes from an unwillingness to upgrade infrastructure - and since, in most cities, truly high speed internet is a monopoly situation, they haven't had to.

If there was enough profit in it, they would upgrade. There is not. Not even where there is competition.

People here are bitching about their cable and satellite bills. They don't want to ante up for what it would cost for truly unlimited bandwidth and speed for all.

No. You're right. The ISPs would rather not upgrade just because they don't have to. They are ignoring methods of making more money.

#120 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,267 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:24 PM

We've been hearing this for years...mobile broadband, yes there is a crunch to some degree. Landlines, not so much...plenty of bandwidth out there. Is this ISP willing to offer it by upgrading/updating equipment?

Uh, bandwidth is not mythical. The reason there is a crunch in mobile is because the investment doesn't pay off after a certain point. Same with landlines. Bandwidth is only important in what can be delivered to the home. It is not infinite.

spam firewall