Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

News Corp to end Speed and Fuel Channels, convert them to Fox Sports

• Please log in to reply
132 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:41 PM

And that is just bandwidth (speed). You get to reach a cap earlier in the month.

Indeed, that's just bandwidth. Last I checked, the cap was 250 gigs which I tried to hit a few months ago and ended at using about 175... and I tried hard but I live alone.

When margins are 90%, who cares about caps? Give your customers a pipe, let them put as much through it as they want, take your high operating margins and laugh all the way to the bank. Let the content providers fend for themselves.

For most providers, the cap is really just to ensure it is only being used for residential use. I'm sure a household could hit the cap if they tried hard enough but the major intent here is to make sure its not being used for commercial use under residential costs.
My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:45 AM

If there was enough profit in it, they would upgrade. There is not. Not even where there is competition.

People here are bitching about their cable and satellite bills. They don't want to ante up for what it would cost for truly unlimited bandwidth and speed for all.

No. You're right. The ISPs would rather not upgrade just because they don't have to. They are ignoring methods of making more money.

The profit comes from not upgrading, because they don't have to. The bandwidth issues are pure PR spin from the cable companies to justify outrageous fees associated with busting a cap. Spend some time on dslreports.com and you'll find out about the myth that is the bandwidth crunch.
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#123 OFFLINE   pdxBeav

pdxBeav

Godfather

• Registered
  • 390 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:06 AM

The profit comes from not upgrading, because they don't have to. The bandwidth issues are pure PR spin from the cable companies to justify outrageous fees associated with busting a cap. Spend some time on dslreports.com and you'll find out about the myth that is the bandwidth crunch.

I've also read that data caps don't do much at all to alleviate data congestion.

Edited by pdxBeav, 13 February 2013 - 12:39 PM.

#124 OFFLINE   alnielsen

alnielsen

Godfather

• Registered
  • 451 posts
  • LocationDuPage Co. IL

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:39 PM

Indeed, that's just bandwidth. Last I checked, the cap was 250 gigs which I tried to hit a few months ago and ended at using about 175... and I tried hard but I live alone.

For most providers, the cap is really just to ensure it is only being used for residential use. I'm sure a household could hit the cap if they tried hard enough but the major intent here is to make sure its not being used for commercial use under residential costs.

Between my adult son and I, we have been going over recently. He doesn't watch much TV. He downloads videos and watches YouTube. It's a good thing that Comcast has "temporary" suspended the limit. That suspension may become more permanent with their take over of NBC/Universal (anti-trust).

Direct TV subscriber since 1999
Choice Ultimate Customer
Equipment:: HR21-700 HR20-700 H20-100 (owned) SlimLine 5 Antenna
Winegard HD 8800 8-Bay for OTA

KC9ZOU

#125 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:53 PM

DirecTv better be concerned. Intel just announced today that they will be offering TV service over the Internet, and that it will be a la carte. That means I don't have to pay for Food Channel, Style, ESPN, Logo , Spike, CMT, or OWN. Love it!

This is what Apple tried...failed. What Google was attempting to do, didn't work. Intel will run into the same thing that every other distributor does...CONTENT costs.

As others have pointed out, it isn't a la carte either. In fact, Intel is saying this is going to be a HIGH END service not a value play.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#126 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:57 PM

I read, in December 2011, Forbes predicted 10 major companies being dismantled by the end of 2013. Eight of them I had no interest in but Best Buy and Netflix caught my eye. I may need to check if they still stand by that prediction.

Netflix is going to have to change their pricing here in the not too distant future in my opinion. Their content costs are going up like everyone else. Best Buy...they have their hands full right now.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#127 OFFLINE   cmasia

cmasia

Icon

• Registered
  • 655 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:27 PM

This is what Apple tried...failed. What Google was attempting to do, didn't work. Intel will run into the same thing that every other distributor does...CONTENT costs.

As others have pointed out, it isn't a la carte either. In fact, Intel is saying this is going to be a HIGH END service not a value play.

Hi SR.

Always happy to hear your thoughts and comments.

I'm curious what you can tell us about DirecTV's - or your - thoughts about the landscape, say 10 years from now.

By then, our internet pipe should be capable of 10 gajillion mb down, allowing anyone to provide HD, 3D, 4K, whatever is state of the art.

Does DirecTV look at their business model with an eye towards being potentially obsolete as technology advances?

As one of DirecTV's very, very early customers with a Sony SAT-A1, back in late '94, early '95, - I think that was the model number - I've always wondered how an advanced company pours billions into a technology that x years from now could be looked at the way we view 8 track tapes.

Please take this question with the intended spirit... from a happy customer, appreciative of what your company provides.

Cheers,
cmasia

#128 OFFLINE   adkinsjm

adkinsjm

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:38 PM

Between my adult son and I, we have been going over recently. He doesn't watch much TV. He downloads videos and watches YouTube. It's a good thing that Comcast has "temporary" suspended the limit. That suspension may become more permanent with their take over of NBC/Universal (anti-trust).

He's downloading a lot of videos if you're hitting the cap. I've downloaded a few HD torrents and the family watches a lot of videos on Netflix and I haven't gone over 175 GB.

#129 OFFLINE   TravelFan1

TravelFan1

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:53 AM

Gentlemen, shouldn't we rename this thread? I read some very interesting thoughts on tv distribution model, broadband caps, but I then wondered what either one has to do with Speed becoming Fox Sports 1 and Fuel, Fox Sports 2.

On a back to the topic perspective, i'd say it's a great time for the owners of sports leagues, teams, etc, with all this competition to grab TV rights for the various sports. From a consumer perspective, however, I am getting worried about the amount of $$$ paid for the broadcast rights for these leagues. The tv distributors will have to pass this along to us, the end consumers. And that's why I'm afraid this model will eventually break, when even consumers like me, huge sports fans, start to question whether it's worth to pay 200,300,400/month to get all of the sports we like.

Rip: Comcast: July 2005 - April 2009 & Dish Network: April 2009-July 2011
Directv since June 2011 and loving it!
Directv wish list:BBC World News, Fox Deportes HD, WatchEspn, FoxSports2Go

#130 OFFLINE   mitchflorida

mitchflorida

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 423 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:31 AM

The reason why advertisers love ESPN and Fox Sports is that there is very little DVRing and time shifting of the sports events. People watch live and most people don't fast forward through the advertisements. I don't like having to subsidize sports fans and don't want them to have to subsidize my movie channels or news channels. Something has got to give. This cannot continue much longer.

#131 OFFLINE   Jungle Jim

Jungle Jim

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:18 AM

They can name the networks whatever they want as long as my son doesn't lose his Monster Jam. :)

Also, Food Network is not "crap". Our entire family, including the kids, love Unwrapped, Paula Deen, Giada, Diners and Drive Ins, and other shows. I wonder if people who consider certain channels "crap" have even watched the shows that are on them?

I remember when Food Network first came to D*, I had a similar reaction. (Who would watch "that"?) But my wife and kids started watching it and I came to realize that there's a lot of good stuff there.

#132 OFFLINE   donalddickerson2005

donalddickerson2005

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:48 PM

They can name the networks whatever they want as long as my son doesn't lose his Monster Jam. :)

Also, Food Network is not "crap". Our entire family, including the kids, love Unwrapped, Paula Deen, Giada, Diners and Drive Ins, and other shows. I wonder if people who consider certain channels "crap" have even watched the shows that are on them?

I remember when Food Network first came to D*, I had a similar reaction. (Who would watch "that"?) But my wife and kids started watching it and I came to realize that there's a lot of good stuff there.

I love my sports it I also watch the food, travel, and HGTV. All these networks have millions of people watching.

#133 OFFLINE   Jungle Jim

Jungle Jim

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:34 PM

I love my sports it I also watch the food, travel, and HGTV. All these networks have millions of people watching.

Same thing for those channels: When they were first added I shrugged. I've found myself watching them many times over the years.

spam firewall