Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

2013 Super Rugby Season on 490 and 490-1

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   cmasia

cmasia

Icon

• Registered
  • 669 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:25 PM

Cheers to DirecTV for again carrying every match live in this great competition.

The schedule is online now, although the Guide has not yet populated this weekend's matches.

http://www.directv.c..._rugby_schedule

Even if you're not a rugby fan, do yourself a favor and DVR a game or two...for two reasons:

1) You might just fall in love with this great game.

2) You will marvel at the amazing picture quality of this raw 1080i feed.

Thanks again, DirecTV ! ! !

PS: Just a reminder. These matches are only shown once, live. So with matches in all the different time zones of New Zealand, Australia, and South Africa, your DVR is your best friend for this.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:28 PM

I really do love this!
DTV = Digital Television

#3 OFFLINE   nmetro

nmetro

Godfather

• Registered
  • 599 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:31 PM

Rugby Heaven; can't beat that.

#4 OFFLINE   shyvoodoo

shyvoodoo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:52 PM

Yessssssssssss

Ben
Voodoo

#5 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,838 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:46 PM

Is Rugby anything like Football?
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#6 OFFLINE   cmasia

cmasia

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 669 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:54 PM

Mark,

I'm not sure if you're taking the mickey here, but I'll bite.

American football is actually based on, and is an outgrowth of rugby.

http://www.talkameri...n_football.html

Here's one example.

In football a score is called a touchdown. Why? What on earth does that mean? Touch ??? Down ? ? ?

In rugby, in order to score, you must actually touch the ball to the ground once you have passed the goal line in order for it to be a score.

Rugby also has some rules I will bet will eventually make their way into football.
You cannot tackle above the shoulders and you MUST initiate a tackle with your arms and not your shoulders or head.

Enough about that.

The weekend's 2 matches are now in the guide at 03:35 AM Friday and Saturday.

For a bit of extra fun, set your DVR for 30 minutes before the start.
Sometimes the raw feed comes up early and you can watch and laugh as the commentators prepare for the telecast.

15 guys a side, who play both offense and defense with no helmets and very little padding, no TV timeouts, and 80 minutes of clock play in a game that that ends less than 2 hours after kick off...

What's not to love???

Edited by cmasia, 12 February 2013 - 12:11 AM.

#7 OFFLINE   fsquid

fsquid

Godfather

• Registered
  • 337 posts
  • LocationJacksonville, FL

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:17 AM

my Brumbies look like they will once again try to convince me that they might make the playoffs. I was happy by their performance.

#8 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,910 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:36 AM

The drop kick, widely used in Rugby Football, was the only kick for a while in the early days of American FB. I'd bet that early American FB used position terms much closer to those used in rugger today. Also, goal posts are used importantly in both games, and the ball is a spheroid, originally of hide or pigskin.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#9 OFFLINE   nmetro

nmetro

Godfather

• Registered
  • 599 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:23 PM

The following page should help to understand differences between the American Football and Rugby League:

http://en.wikipedia....nd_rugby_league

And the following page should help to understand the differences between American Football and Rugby Union:

http://en.wikipedia....and_rugby_union

The games coming up are using the Rugby Union code.

FY, at a quick glance, if the rugby pitch has lines every 10 meters; the game is following the Rugby League code. If the rugby pitch as a center line, 10 meter line and a 22 meter line; then the game is following the Rugby Union code.

Of course, the are differences between Union and League in points scored for a try, conversions, penalties, etc. Wikipedia does have a good summary of both Rugby Codes, as well as a decent article on the history of American football. At least in Australia, American Football is referred to as Gridiron to keep the three different codes separate.

Enjoy the rugby.

#10 OFFLINE   cmasia

cmasia

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 669 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:29 PM

Glad to see we've got some rugby fans in here!

DirecTV was right on time with the feeds of both games last, weekend popping up about 5 to 10 minutes before kick off.

The pictures were, as usual, stunning.

After the Friday match, DirecTV cut the feed when Fox Sports went to its first post match commercial break.

After the Saturday match, we got to see the entire post match show, which lasted almost 30 minutes. Excellent!

A favor, please. Please avoid discussing results here.

Since there are 7 matches played each weekend, some of us ( well, OK, me ) watch them over the course of a whole week, since it's easy to avoid seeing results on the internet.

Cheers,
cmasia

#11 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,432 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:32 PM

I like to watch the occasional rugby match but I really want free cricket.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#12 OFFLINE   wolvesjohnblack

wolvesjohnblack

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:06 PM

Super Rugby is my favorite thing about Directv.Hurricanes are my fave.Anybody here play super Rugby fantasy?

#13 OFFLINE   donalddickerson2005

donalddickerson2005

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:18 PM

I like to watch the occasional rugby match but I really want free cricket.

That would be awesome but I'm guessing that you would need the 2nd dish.

#14 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,432 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:40 PM

That would be awesome but I'm guessing that you would need the 2nd dish.

Ain't free anyway that I know. I've caught the few free events. Enjoyed them.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#15 OFFLINE   donalddickerson2005

donalddickerson2005

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:34 PM

I would love to see the cricket matches but I do not want an extra dish on my home. Now if DirecTV was able to give me cricket using my main dish is be more than happy to order it.

#16 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,154 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:32 AM

Highlanders (Otago) at Chiefs (Waikato) Rugby getting ready to begin on channels 490 (SD) & 490-1 (HD)

List of networks with HD VOD content available on DIRECTV   DIRECTV Customer Service Live Online Chat (available from 8am-1am ET)   DIRECTV Regional Sports Network (RSN) fee lookup tool (zip code required)

DIRECTV Premium Channel Pricing: 1=$13.99 ($17.99 for HBO) | 2=$25 ($30 with HBO) | 3=$35 ($40 with HBO) | 4=$43 ($48 with HBO) | All 5=$55 per month 

My Setup: 5-LNB SlimLine with SWM-16 | HR44-700 w/AM-21N | HR24-200 | H25-100 | H25-100 | C41-500

#17 OFFLINE   donalddickerson2005

donalddickerson2005

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:33 PM

2 great games WOW nail - biter I'm so ready for the games to get going now that start at 0330.
Hr34-700 living room
C31-700 bedroom
H23-600 family room

#18 OFFLINE   fsquid

fsquid

Godfather

• Registered
  • 337 posts
  • LocationJacksonville, FL

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:59 PM

2 great games WOW nail - biter I'm so ready for the games to get going now that start at 0330.

been some pretty good games this weekend

#19 OFFLINE   donalddickerson2005

donalddickerson2005

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:23 PM

been some pretty good games this weekend

I can't wait till next weekend a lot of great games.
Hr34-700 living room
C31-700 bedroom
H23-600 family room

#20 OFFLINE   cmasia

cmasia

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 669 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:39 PM

Thirty matches have been played so far, and I've only seen two coverage "glitches", although I'd consider one of them a positive.

There are never two matches being played at the same, which is a great thing. But occasionally a match will start ten to fifteen minutes after the conclusion of another.

One game two weeks ago, DirecTV did not change the satellite feeds from the first to the second game, leaving up a bunch of post match interviews, while we missed the first twenty minutes of the second game. Small beer in the total scheme of things.

This past week, DirecTV put up the wrong audio feed on the Crusaders - Bulls match. Instead of the English commentary, we got the natural audio from the site.
Some may think it was a glitch.
But I watched the game on my projector and 92" screen, with the room completely dark and the audio cranked wayyyyyyyyyyyy up.
The crowd noise plus the referee, who is always live via microphone, made for a terrific experience.

Over the last month, I've had three occasions to call Customer Service, and in each of those calls I talked to the reps about the rugby on 490 and 490-1.
They ( three different guys ) knew absolutely nothing about it. They had nothing in their computers about the programming, and without access to the on screen guide, they saw 490 as a blank channel with no programming.

It's amazing to me they don't brag about this "gift". Now granted, the audience for this is always going to be small, but they really ought to toot their horns about this great addition to our included programming.

spam firewall