Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DVR

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   albjerryg

albjerryg

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:19 PM

I have 2 old DVR'S(r-16) that Directv does not want. Pit is hard for me to believe no one has figured out a way to use them to record on regular channels or something except throwing them away. Thanks for any input Jerry

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:37 PM

They require authorization from DirecTV. Once they are de-activated they no longer get that authorization and can no receive content much less record.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#3 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,113 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:49 PM

Unfortunately thats the way it is, they are doorstops unless used with active DirecTV service. Best Buy does off free electronics recycling.
My Setup

#4 OFFLINE   albjerryg

albjerryg

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:52 PM

Thanks for the info. Jerry

#5 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,670 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:29 PM

I have 2 old DVR'S(r-16) that Directv does not want.

Are you sure they are R16s? These DVRs are still current. Perhaps you have the R15-500.

#6 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,901 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:07 PM

If you recently deactivated them, I would hold on to them for a couple of months just to be safe (in case DirecTV decides they really do want them back).

If they are owned (as opposed to leased) status, you could also offer them for sale. There is a small market for SD DVRs still, and the R16 will work with an SWM system. You can verify owned versus leased by calling DirecTV and giving them the Receiver ID number.

#7 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:24 PM

As a final option, you can always pull the drives out, format them, and then reuse them although I wouldn't keep sensitive data on them due to their prior use. I use an old TiVo drive as an external drive for my Wii, which I think makes it 9-10 years old now.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#8 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,024 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:06 PM

Are you sure they are R16s? These DVRs are still current. Perhaps you have the R15-500.

Yea ... be careful there.

When I deactivated my last SD box here, an R-16 sometime last year DIRECTV told me they didn't want it back, that I could keep it and reactivate/deactivate at my leisure like I owned it.

Then a few weeks later, sure enough, I got a call from some DIRECTV facility on the east coast somewhere asking me where is the non-returned receiver? Plus they charged my account for it around $175.00 IIRC as well. :nono:

Needless to say after they sent out a return kit for it I sent it back pronto and got my account re-credited.

#9 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:32 PM

What's up with DirecTV not being able to definitively state, the first time they are asked, whether or not a specific receiver is OK to scrap, sell, or return??

$175 is a chunk for some of us, and that R16 could have been melted down for paper clips before they caught up on the paperwork.

I returned a dead HR20 several years ago, was charged for that one, and was charged for the replacement despite the HR20 literally dying before the DirecTV truck got to the end of the driveway, and I had to get the name of the DirecTV loading dock guy that signed for the return from Fedex before I got square with them. They did honor the warranty replacement fairly easily after I called on it. Paying for 2 HR20s is a little pricey.

I know things happen, but I can see people jumping ship over incidents like this. Fortunately it's a rare occurrence with either system.

#10 OFFLINE   markfp

markfp

Legend

• Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:44 PM

W
I know things happen, but I can see people jumping ship over incidents like this. Fortunately it's a rare occurrence with either system.

I haven't been with the local cable company in 13 years and left after having lots of issues, but the one thing I liked about them was you could return equipment to their offices and get a receipt right on the spot. In fact that's what they preferred, after I switched, I heard they started charging a fee if they had to send a truck out to pick up something.

#11 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:33 PM

LOL, had a funny today after the HR34 install;

client called and wanted me to stop and look at last E* bill.

It was almost $400!

E* had a $200 charge for an unreturned receiver. Reading threads here has definitely had an effect on me, I went through the house and wrote down all the RIDs and card #s, and then called E* and asked for #s on the unreturned box. LOL, it was the master bedroom Vip 222K, in use as I called, and showing a great picture a the time!

I asked the CSR how a single receiver could be simultaneously active on an account and in arrears for an unreturn fee at the same time. He laughed and said FAR FAR stranger things happen everyday.

He put a $200 credit on the account and said he was sorry for the inconvenience.

Can't help but think we aren't done with this problem yet . . .

:D

#12 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:39 PM

What's an "E* bill"??? :confused:

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#13 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,910 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:27 PM

Dish (Echostar, though they are separate now).

#14 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:41 PM

It was almost $400!

E* had a $200 charge for an unreturned receiver. Reading threads here has definitely had an effect on me, I went through the house and wrote down all the RIDs and card #s, and then called E* and asked for #s on the unreturned box. LOL, it was the master bedroom Vip 222K, in use as I called, and showing a great picture a the time!

I asked the CSR how a single receiver could be simultaneously active on an account and in arrears for an unreturn fee at the same time. He laughed and said FAR FAR stranger things happen everyday.

He put a $200 credit on the account and said he was sorry for the inconvenience.

Can't help but think we aren't done with this problem yet . . .

:D

!rolling

LOL, client called today, only has shopping channels on both receivers. Tried an RBR, and pulled the plug. Still no go.

Called DISH. DISH computer voice said account was inactive. A menu choice came on to re-activate. Tried that and computer says there is no equipment on the account to re-activate.

Oofda.

Managed to get a CSR after that. Was transferred.

New CSR says client is in a bundle and we really need to talk to bundle outfit as account is suspended for non-payment.

CSR tried to get someone at the bundle co. but it was after hours for them.

I had DISH CSR review prior problem with credit for the ding for the unreturned receiver, and he felt a possible explanation was the original charge wasn't canceled, instead, their was a credit put on the account for the same amount. So, a month ago, the client deducted the amount of the credit, and sent that in. Well, the bundle people apparently don't know anything about the credit, they just know they received a check the month before for less than 1/2 the billed amount, and suspended the service.

The CSR was super nice and reauth'd the account, but cautioned there was a good chance the bundle people would kill it again at start of business the next day.

LOL.

Anyhow, client is happy TV is working tonite, and I advised to do NOTHING unless DISH receiver shuts down again. Maybe we get lucky and everything catches up in the billing department before they shut the box down, and if not, we can call and maybe get this fixed for good.

:lol:

#15 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,566 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:34 AM

Will this client be switching to DirecTV soon?
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...