Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Showtime On-Demand channel 1545

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mrmojo

mrmojo

Mentor

• Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:59 PM

I contacted DirecTV on 2/1 to report that Showtime On-Demand was missing serveral episodes of season 1 of "House of Lies". They basically told me there was nothing they could do about it. I also contacted Showtime who said they would look into it. Here it is 9 days later and still nothing. DirecTV's implementation of On-Demand is terrible and their support even worse.

After 12+ years as a DirecTV customer I think I have had enough. It isn't just this it is also not being able to watch programs when it rains. I live in FL and I dread every summer because of our rainy season. When I had our DVRs installed years ago I wanted an HD DVR for our bedroom. The installer put a hole in my wall before he checked up in the attic and realized he couldn't run a cable down that wall for some reason. On top of that the guy almost passed out due to low blood sugar. It was a disaster of an install, never got what I wanted but unfortuantely I was dealing with a major health issue and not up to arguing with DirecTV. I am done - they are the worst! :mad:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   lacubs

lacubs

Godfather

• Registered
  • 514 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:32 PM

it all on Showtime! DirecTV has nothing to with there On-Demand service

#3 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

๐Ÿ™ˆ๐Ÿ™‰๐Ÿ™Š๐Ÿ“ก

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,315 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:27 PM

your TV should not go out when it rains. looks like you have an improper aligned dish

#4 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,798 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:31 PM

The content for DirecTV On Demand is provided by the same provider as the programming, not DirecTV. Showtime provides the on On Demand content for channel 1545. You're looking at the content as it sits on their servers.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#5 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

๐Ÿ™ˆ๐Ÿ™‰๐Ÿ™Š๐Ÿ“ก

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,315 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:41 PM

Right on! the OP is barking at the wrong tree

#6 OFFLINE   mrmojo

mrmojo

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:52 PM

it all on Showtime! DirecTV has nothing to with there On-Demand service

Wrong. If it is listed on Showtime's website under on demand programming it is available to cable and DBS providers like DirecTV. Per Showtime:

"Showtime makes its On Demand content available to service operators nationwide on the date listed on the On Demand schedule. If you believe that your operator is missing a particular title and you have already verified on our website that it should be available, it is possible that there has been a problem with the reception of this title by your operator, and it is likely that this issue is already in the process of being resolved."

The missing episodes are listed on Showtime's on demand listings as well as Verizon FIOS' on demand listings. Showtime put the season 1 episodes out starting 11/28/2012 and will only keep them available until 2/19/2013.

Based on issues others have had with missing on demand episodes from HBO I would think the problem is with DirecTV.

#7 OFFLINE   mrmojo

mrmojo

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:55 PM

your TV should not go out when it rains. looks like you have an improper aligned dish

Nope, dish is aligned perfectly as my signals are all 95-100. Dish is located on my chimney with a perfect view of the sky - no trees to block it. Perhaps you need to Google the phrase "rain fade" as this is an issue with DBS that is well documented. I can even lose signal before the rain begins due to the high clouds that block the signal. A signal that is blocked, no matter how well the dish is aligned, will not get through, plain and simple.

#8 OFFLINE   shendley

shendley

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,713 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:14 PM

Contact Showtime. Had a similar issue with two missing episodes of Homeland recently. Directv could do nothing about it. But the episodes were back within two days of a few of us contacting Showtime.

AU9, SWM8
Panasonic TH-58PX60U, HDMI to HR44-100, Native, DD, HDMI to Pioneer VSX-1123-k Receiver, Harmony One, Networked with Ethernet Cable, 35/4 Mbps DSL.
Panasonic TH-42PD50U, Component to HR 24-100, Antec MX-1 w. WD10EVDS ESata, Native, DD, DTV Remote.
Panasonic TC-L32X2, HDMI to C41-100, DTV Remote.
Whole Home.

#9 ONLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,968 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:39 PM

The content for DirecTV On Demand is provided by the same provider as the programming, not DirecTV. Showtime provides the on On Demand content for channel 1545. You're looking at the content as it sits on their servers.

Right on! the OP is barking at the wrong tree

Humm ...

Then what would be your best guess at this and the following explanation taken during a recent tour of DIRECTV's LA Broadcast Center (LABC)?

http://forums.solids...70&d=1345589848

This is one small part of the racks that make up DIRECTV's on-demand systems, DIRECTV Cinema and DIRECTV Everywhere. All on-demand and streaming programming is stored here. I was told they started in 2007 with 30 terabytes (that's 30,000 gigabytes) of storage and kept adding. Each one of those grey boxes is 30 terabytes and they have around 150 of them. That's 4.5 petabytes of storage. Put it this way, it's enough to store 1,000,000 DVDs. Yes really.

So even though these servers are on DIRECTV's property, is the programming on them remotely loaded, maintained, and totally under the control of the content provider's servers or something?

#10 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,798 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:00 AM

So even though these servers are on DIRECTV's property, is the programming on them remotely loaded, maintained, and totally under the control of the content provider's servers or something?

The explanation says it all, or in this case it's what it doesn't say.. "DIRECTV's on-demand systems, DIRECTV Cinema and DIRECTV Everywhere."... That doesn't say Showtime, HBO, etc. Those servers are just DirecTV's content for "Everywhere", "Cinema", "Audience", etc.

We've been told before, by someone "in the know", that the content from individual providers, like Showtime, comes direct from the provider's servers.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#11 OFFLINE   mrmojo

mrmojo

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:26 PM

Contact Showtime. Had a similar issue with two missing episodes of Homeland recently. Directv could do nothing about it. But the episodes were back within two days of a few of us contacting Showtime.

Already did the same time I contacted DirecTV. I posted the response they e-mailed me.

#12 OFFLINE   mrmojo

mrmojo

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:33 PM

The explanation says it all, or in this case it's what it doesn't say.. "DIRECTV's on-demand systems, DIRECTV Cinema and DIRECTV Everywhere."... That doesn't say Showtime, HBO, etc. Those servers are just DirecTV's content for "Everywhere", "Cinema", "Audience", etc.

We've been told before, by someone "in the know", that the content from individual providers, like Showtime, comes direct from the provider's servers.

Well the someone "in the know" doesn't know what they are talking about. Showtime, HBO, etc., all make their on demand content available to service providers like DirecTV, Verizon, Comcast, etc. It is then the service providers responsibility to download that content to their own servers and make it available to their customers. I know this as a fact since I have a friend with Verizon who had some on demand content still available on their servers long after it was deleted or expired from DirecTV's servers. Again, as I have already posted, here is Showtime's response:

"Showtime makes its On Demand content available to service operators nationwide on the date listed on the On Demand schedule. If you believe that your operator is missing a particular title and you have already verified on our website that it should be available, it is possible that there has been a problem with the reception of this title by your operator, and it is likely that this issue is already in the process of being resolved."

Not only are the missing episodes on Showtime's on demand listings, it is also on Verizon's website as being available and I had a friend who has Verizon verify that he was able to watch the episodes DirecTV is missing. This is a DirecTV issue.

#13 OFFLINE   mrmojo

mrmojo

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:38 PM

Humm ...

Then what would be your best guess at this and the following explanation taken during a recent tour of DIRECTV's LA Broadcast Center (LABC)?

http://forums.solids...70&d=1345589848

Thanks for this post. All that Showtime, HBO, etc., do is make on demand content available to service providers who must then download it, during the time it is available, for their customers. To me it seems quite obvious that DirecTV has experienced technical difficulties in doing this for "Homeland", "House of Lies" and other programs and they obviously do not have anyone following up to make sure the content is available to their customers. By contacting HBO or Showtime, etc., all we are doing is DirecTV's job of letting them know DirecTV had issues downloading the content to their own servers.

#14 OFFLINE   mrmojo

mrmojo

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:27 PM

Just got an e-mail from the DirecTV CSR I was corresponding with informing me that their Engineering & Broadcast team has told her that the missing episodes of "House of Lies" will be available for download later this week. Nothing was escalated until I told her that the episodes were available from Showtime as Verizon customers were able to view them after she lied to me and told me Showtime did not make them available to DirecTV. This is the type of shoddy customer service I have dealt with over the years with DirecTV. House of Lies indeed!!! :nono2:

#15 OFFLINE   shendley

shendley

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,713 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:12 AM

I'm sometimes a bit careless reading through threads, but I looked back through your posts in this thread and didn't see a post saying you had contaced Showtime and posted the response they sent you. Okay, maybe I just missed it, so don't get pissed. But could you point me to where that post is. And sorry you didn't have the same success the rest of us had contacting Showtime about the missing episodes of Homeland. I was very satisfied with Showtime's response to that issue.

Already did the same time I contacted DirecTV. I posted the response they e-mailed me.

AU9, SWM8
Panasonic TH-58PX60U, HDMI to HR44-100, Native, DD, HDMI to Pioneer VSX-1123-k Receiver, Harmony One, Networked with Ethernet Cable, 35/4 Mbps DSL.
Panasonic TH-42PD50U, Component to HR 24-100, Antec MX-1 w. WD10EVDS ESata, Native, DD, DTV Remote.
Whole Home.

#16 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,545 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:42 AM

I would check for loose coax connections first, either behind the receiver or outside the switch location, sometimes up by the dish but I wouldn't advise on doing that in your condition, otherwise it could need realignment, and for Showtime on demand I would try Showtime Anytime either on PC,iPad,iPhone or Android.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 
Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#17 OFFLINE   mrmojo

mrmojo

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:42 PM

I'm sometimes a bit careless reading through threads, but I looked back through your posts in this thread and didn't see a post saying you had contaced Showtime and posted the response they sent you. Okay, maybe I just missed it, so don't get pissed. But could you point me to where that post is. And sorry you didn't have the same success the rest of us had contacting Showtime about the missing episodes of Homeland. I was very satisfied with Showtime's response to that issue.

No, you are correct - I didn't mention it initially. I first posted after contacting DirecTV and then I later e-mailed Showtime after I noticed all the episodes were listed on their website under the on demand section. After DirecTV told me this would be resolved by the end of this week and it still wasn't I e-mailed and requested an update. Another CSR sent me a canned response much like the first one I received, i.e. it's Showtime's problem, cannot be fixed, yada, yada, yada. I then responded that they should read the thread of my issue as another CSR told me it was in the process of being resolved.

I contacted Showtime again and their CSR told me that they are still working with DirecTV to resolve the issue. I fail to see why something like this should take over 2 weeks to fix. Since others have reported issues with Homeland it seems to be a recurring problem, one that they should be able to figure out by now.

#18 OFFLINE   mrmojo

mrmojo

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:47 PM

I would check for loose coax connections first, either behind the receiver or outside the switch location, sometimes up by the dish but I wouldn't advise on doing that in your condition, otherwise it could need realignment, and for Showtime on demand I would try Showtime Anytime either on PC,iPad,iPhone or Android.

Connections are good, signal strengths are all 90-100 range. I live in FL and we get some torrential downpours here in the summer, what we call our rainy season. I have just gotten to the point that don't want to deal with the rain fade issue anymore. I do like the picture quality and variety of HD programming with DirecTV but this issue along with the hokey on demand service (have to d/l to DVR to view - not really on demand), the extra equipment and cost required for multi-room viewing, etc., tells me it is time for a change. I have several friends and neighbors that have Verizon FIOS and they all love it. Some dropped DirecTV for it and say they are much happier especially during baseball season when they can actually watch the games during a rain storm.

#19 OFFLINE   shendley

shendley

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,713 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:51 PM

I fail to see why something like this should take over 2 weeks to fix. Since others have reported issues with Homeland it seems to be a recurring problem, one that they should be able to figure out by now.

True that.

AU9, SWM8
Whole Home.

#20 OFFLINE   mrmojo

mrmojo

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:05 PM

A Showtime CSR sent me an e-mail yesterday reminding me that I can watch on demand programs on my PC or mobile device. I told them I don't have a smartphone or iPad and don't want to view it on my PC - I want to watch it on my 65" HDTV.

Got an e-mail later in the day from the same Showtime CSR apologizing for my inconvenience and as a result they are sending my season 1 of "House Of Lies" on DVD. Now that is customer service. Take note DirecTV!

spam firewall