Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Dolby digital?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
35 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,405 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:12 PM

Sometimes turning off receiver or surround system helps to get the full effect for 5.1 and making sure the Hdmi cable is pushed in, And as said earlier toggle Dolby Digital off and on

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 
Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   allenn

allenn

Icon

• Registered
  • 702 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:38 PM

http://www.blu-ray.c...-Blu-ray/33623/

I have the BluRay of Casablanca. It is fantastic. Also, I have the original Jazz Singer in BluRay which is basically a silent film. The picture quality of these two movies are great! The audio is single channel DD for both movies.

PrimeStar/DIRECTV subscriber since 10/30/1994.
Roswell, GA (Atlanta Area)
2 D* HR24-100s and AM21s
MRV - D* SWiM LNB, PI-21 module, and Wireless DECA Cinema Connection Kit (CCK-W)
Linksys WRT310N

#23 OFFLINE   Smooth Jazzer

Smooth Jazzer

Legend

• Registered
  • 183 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:19 AM

I've got the stereo receiver set for auto format decode (meaning that whatever the signal coming in is what's put out). Xbox, I've got full DD surround. Blu-ray? Same thing. HR24-200? No surround. The Dolby Digital is turned on, and I can switch between the English DD and the SAP DD, so it screams that it's working.

Any thoughts?

Do you have a 5.1 DD capable Audio/Video Receiver? What brand and model number?

#24 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,537 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:29 AM

Do you have a 5.1 DD capable Audio/Video Receiver? What brand and model number?

The OP's profile says he has a HR20, two Tivos, and a Sony receiver.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#25 OFFLINE   jrr4

jrr4

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:26 AM

Wow I really need to update my profile!

It was resolved in the receivers HDMI settings. Thanks to everyone for the help

#26 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,246 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:46 PM

There were some posts deleted that weren't adding to the discussion. Please, if you can't help, at least don't hurt.

Thanks,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#27 OFFLINE   Smooth Jazzer

Smooth Jazzer

Legend

• Registered
  • 183 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:06 PM

The OP's profile says he has a HR20, two Tivos, and a Sony receiver.

~~~~~~~~~~~NOT ALL Sony receivers are DD 5.1 equipped~~~~~~~~~~

#28 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,727 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:30 PM

But he said he was getting "full surround DD" on his Blu-Ray player. That makes the Sony AVR 5.1 a forgone conclusion. Now stop fighting, please.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#29 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:32 PM

But he said he was getting "full surround DD" on his Blu-Ray player. That makes the Sony AVR 5.1 a forgone conclusion. Now stop fighting, please.

Exactly. It was more than obvious that his receiver was at least 5.1 capable.
DTV = Digital Television

#30 OFFLINE   Smooth Jazzer

Smooth Jazzer

Legend

• Registered
  • 183 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:17 AM

You may be watching something in DD 2.0, not 5.1.

DD does not mean 5.1.

You need to check the Dolby Laboratories evolution from AC-3(1995) to DD 5.1(1997), OK?:rolleyes:

#31 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,537 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:17 AM

On thursday the OP announced his issues were resolved and thanked everyone. Yet for the past two days you have chosen to interpret what others have posted, than treat them like you're the "All Knowing OZ" of audio/video and argue with them. I assure you the likes of RunnerFL, Hoosier205, hilmar2k, and myself have a better understanding of audio/video technology than you. It's time for you to accept that and stop fighting as RunnerFL requested.

#32 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:04 PM

You need to check the Dolby Laboratories evolution from AC-3(1995) to DD 5.1(1997), OK?:rolleyes:

AC-3(Audio Code number 3), was just Dolby's name for the home version of Dolby Digital which was what it was called in the theaters. Until they just decided to drop the AC-3 designation and call both theater versions and home systems the same thing. In its original form, it could contain anywhere from 1 to 6 channels(5.1). You really need to check your facts before posting. :nono:

There are still old classic movies that could be released with a DD1.0 soundtrack, since the original sound would have been in mono anyway, why would you mess with the original sound format?

#33 OFFLINE   Smooth Jazzer

Smooth Jazzer

Legend

• Registered
  • 183 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:01 PM

AC-3(Audio Code number 3), was just Dolby's name for the home version of Dolby Digital which was what it was called in the theaters. Until they just decided to drop the AC-3 designation and call both theater versions and home systems the same thing. In its original form, it could contain anywhere from 1 to 6 channels(5.1). You really need to check your facts before posting. :nono:

There are still old classic movies that could be released with a DD1.0 soundtrack, since the original sound would have been in mono anyway, why would you mess with the original sound format?

I dangled that bait and you took it.:D It also served the purpose for you to post the AC-3/DD 5.1 development. I knew the facts otherwise I had NOT dangled the bait you naively took. I have a bunch of AC-3 encoded laserdiscs from Terminator 2, Top Gun to 1997 Star Wars, thank you.:rolleyes:

Edited by Smooth Jazzer, 16 February 2013 - 02:46 PM.
Corections.

#34 OFFLINE   Smooth Jazzer

Smooth Jazzer

Legend

• Registered
  • 183 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:25 PM

On thursday the OP announced his issues were resolved and thanked everyone. Yet for the past two days you have chosen to interpret what others have posted, than treat them like you're the "All Knowing OZ" of audio/video and argue with them. I assure you the likes of RunnerFL, Hoosier205, hilmar2k, and myself have a better understanding of audio/video technology than you. It's time for you to accept that and stop fighting as RunnerFL requested.

I don't give a rat's rear. I know what I know. BTW it's Thursday, correctly I may add! Obviously you do NOT know or how to use then and than correctly in a sentence. Keep them coming because I love to blast simple grammatical blunders! I set my Home Theater ALL by lonesome. I do NOT post belly aching questions about WHY my Directv receiver does NOT do this or do that. Like I posted earlier(deleted!) I will NOT seek a Home Theater opinion from someone of your "eloquent" reputation. Yes, I understand AC-3 now DD 5.1 since 1997. Dolby Laboratories changed that to avoid nomenclature confusions.
My humble Home Theater:
Mitsubishi 60" DLP calibrated my myself.
Onkyo TX-SR875 AVR
Two Oppo's BDP-83 for BDP's and SACD's
Oppo DV-983H for SD DVD's and regular CD's
Directv H20-100 because of OTA channels accessibility
In addition to that I have swapped engines on riding lawn mowers and fixed an Electrolux vacuum cleaner by replacing the brains outboard. The last two a desert that reflects my mechanical ability. Over 50 college credit hours in Chemistry alone, at least 45 in Biology plus licensed to work in the medical field,not too bad! NO, I am NOT so courageous to prescribe medications such as Midol like you did a couple days ago:eek2: Finally I read, write and speak English and Spanish fluently. That is called a true bilingual. Once more I trust my humble IQ before I ask a Home Theater two cents opinion from you.
Muchas gracias

Edited by Smooth Jazzer, 16 February 2013 - 02:37 PM.
Corrections.

#35 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,840 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:38 PM

.... Over 50 college credit hours in Chemistry alone, at least 45 in Biology plus licensed to work in the medical field,not too bad! NO, I am NOT so courageous to prescribe medications such as Midol like you did a couple days ago:eek2:...

All that science and your license to work in the medical field, and you didn't know Midol is an over-the-counter drug?
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#36 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,537 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:42 PM

I don't give a rat's rear. I know what I know. BTW it's Thursday, correctly I may add! I set my Home Theater ALL by lonesome. I do NOT post belly aching questions about WHY my D* does NOT do this or do that. Like I posted earlier(deleted!) I will NOT seek a Home Theater opinion from someone of your "eloquent" reputation. Yes, I understand AC-3 now DD.1 since 1997.
My humble Home Theater:
Mitsubishi 60" DLP calibrated my myself.
Onkyo TX-SR875
Two Oppo's BDP-83 for BDP's and SACD's
Oppo DV-983H for SD DVD's and regular CD's
D* H20-100 because of OTA channels accessibility
In addition to that I have swapped engines on riding lawn mowers and fixed an Electrolux vacuum cleaner by replacing the brains outboard. The last two a desert that reflects my mechanical ability. Over 50 college credit hours in Chemistry alone, at least 45 in Biology plus licensed to work in the medical field,not to bad! NO, I am NOT so courageous to prescribe medications such as Midol like you did a couple days ago:eek2: Finally I read, write and speak English and Spanish fluently. Once more I trust my humble IQ before I ask a Home Theater two cents opinion from you.
Muchas gracias

I never made a dime with spelling or grammar but I did accumulate a fortune investing in income properties which enabled me to retire before I was 50! ;) Want to compare resumes? I graduated from the School of Hard Knocks. Got my masters at the University of Da Nang during the Tet Offensive. Earned countless credit hours in the deserts of Iraq during Desert Storm. As for your current response to my post, all it it serves is to prove you're just a legend in your own mind. :sure:

spam firewall