Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

why does PI only work in one place?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   garywitt

garywitt

AllStar

• Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:29 PM

Hope someone can help....

Installed May 2012 - here is my setup
SWM 16
HR34
HR22
HR21
C31
(I don't know off the top of my head the exact nature of the cabling off the SWM16 - I know there are one or two "after-market" direct runs and the existing in-wall home cable is tied into the SWM as well)

I have a cat5E (from a 5 port switch connected to my router) directly into my HR34, and then DECAs installed on the other receivers. When my system was installed the installer placed the PI at the location of the HR34, as below:

wall->splitter
splitter-> HR34 on one leg, PI on the other (output port of PI capped)

I recently bought a new media center and painted, and had everything disconnected for about 24 hours. When I reconnected, I attempted to move the PI to a coax port I am not using in an office (which was tested by the installer and working, in fact he installed the DECA adapter on this port before I realized I could connect directly to the HR34), and I got an error message regarding the cabling (can't remember the number, but is the same message I get when the PI is not plugged back in). I tried to put the PI on the HR21 and HR22 with the same splitter setup I had before, with no luck. I then tried to put it back on the HR34 as it was before and could not get the message to go away. Rebooted all receivers, no luck. Called DirecTV, she had me reboot and power cycle everything again, no luck. The CSM said the splitter install was incorrect and had me remove the splitter - now the coax goes from wall to the PI, then from the PI directly to the HR34, and reboot. Everything worked.

I'm glad everything is working, but I don't really want the PI behind the HR34 (too many plugs there already, too hot, too much congestion), and would much rather put in the office or the basement, out of the way. Why did this not work? And why would the splitter method not work after it had worked for so long. Trust me, I checked and double checked the connections multiple times...

Thanks!
LNB3 with SWM16
HR34,HR22,HR20,R22

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,100 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:36 PM

It should work, but the path from PI to SWM needs to go through the power-passing ports on each splitter it passes through.

#3 ONLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,895 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:58 PM

It works in many places. Just as Bob mentioned above, if it's on a splitter, it needs to be on the power passing port all the way back to the SWiM. Or better yet, on its own coax on the power port of the SWim.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#4 OFFLINE   garywitt

garywitt

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:44 AM

Thanks guys - got it. I didn't realize only one port on the splitter was able to pass the DC power - I have a 4 way splitter outside attached to the SWM-2 port, and the locations I was trying to use were attached to the non-power passing port on the splitter.

Thanks! I have another questions regarding connected home but will post in another thread...
LNB3 with SWM16
HR34,HR22,HR20,R22

#5 OFFLINE   garywitt

garywitt

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:16 PM

Wait...one more question...

Does the PI have to be on a line that is eventually connected (through the appropriate power passing splitter ports) to either the SWM1/PWR port or the PWR port? Will SWM2 not work?
LNB3 with SWM16
HR34,HR22,HR20,R22

#6 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,239 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:31 PM

If the PI is inline with a receiver, that receiver and its splitter MUST be connected to SWM1/PWR output on the SWM16 switch. you can alternatively (and preferred method) connect the PI directly to the SWM16 dedicated PWR port. SWM2 does not power the dish

#7 OFFLINE   garywitt

garywitt

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:44 PM

Got it thanks!
LNB3 with SWM16
HR34,HR22,HR20,R22

Protected By... spam firewall...And...