Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Are two-year contracts a requirement now?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   brocks

brocks

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:11 AM

I used Dish ten years ago and DirectTV after that, then switched to cable last year. The cable service and DVR were both awful, and the only reason I stayed with it was the very low price I got for the first year. But now the year is up, and they are raising their price to about the same as the satellite companies, so I want to switch back.

Problem is, I plan to move this year, and from what I found by looking at their websites, both Dish and DirectTV now seem to require a two-year commitment. Googling around I found something called Flex, which is evidently a 3rd party vendor for Dish, but I'd rather deal direct. So my questions are:

1) Is there a way to get satellite service direct from Dish or DTV without a contract longer than six months?

2) If not, does moving to a new address allow you to terminate without penalty? I don't know whether I'll be able to continue service at the new address, because I might move into an apt while I'm looking for a house.

Thanks for any help.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:48 AM

Directv requires a 2 year contract.

They will give you a free move once a year. You have to complete 12 months prior to each move. Otherwise there will be a hefty fee.

Moving to an address where you can't receive service will not automaticly release you from your contract.

You would be better off waiting till you reach your finnal destination before ordering Directv. Unless you just like spending hours on the phone and stress.
HR20-100, HR20-700, HR24-100, HR34-700/AM21

#3 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,497 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:59 AM

If you can't get LOS, they will release you from the contract. Having said that, it still may be best to wait if you'll be moving within the first year, as I don't think you can use the Mover's Connection in the first year. This is for DirecTV, Dish may be different, including the contract. I know in the past they had some odd policies, like wanting you to mail back the LNB.

#4 OFFLINE   VDP07

VDP07

Godfather

• Registered
  • 484 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:40 PM

Flex is available through DISH and is Retailers. It requires a $199 non-refundable activation fee and the purchase of equipment, $49 to $449 for the primary receiver. It includes installation. It does not require a term commitment or a cancellation fee.

#5 OFFLINE   brocks

brocks

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:16 PM

Thanks for the responses. I guess I have to stick with cable for now, because the fees are too high with Flex.

#6 OFFLINE   donalddickerson2005

donalddickerson2005

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:21 AM

Thanks for the responses. I guess I have to stick with cable for now, because the fees are too high with Flex.

DirecTV and dish have always been 2 year contracts. The reason local cable can give you a month to month is because that is the only way people will get there products. Cable lacks a lot of what DirecTV and dish can give you.

#7 OFFLINE   knot

knot

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:33 AM

I purchased my receiver and dish from a dealer on ebay. I installed it and called dish to activate. I pay monthly with no contract.

#8 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,263 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:17 AM

I purchased my receiver and dish from a dealer on ebay. I installed it and called dish to activate. I pay monthly with no contract.

Chances are you purchased a leased unit and are under contract.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#9 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,236 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:27 PM

DirecTV and dish have always been 2 year contracts. The reason local cable can give you a month to month is because that is the only way people will get there products. Cable lacks a lot of what DirecTV and dish can give you.

Not "always" ... 18 month contracts used to be the norm. Now both services offer 24 month contracts. You do not have to sign a 24 month contract with DISH, but if you do not you have to pay for everything (no discounted equipment or install).

No ... There are plenty of DISH receivers that could be purchased, self installed and activated without contract. Even the most recent can be purchased outright.

#10 OFFLINE   knot

knot

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:26 PM

That would be incorrect. I purchased the receiver new and is listed as owned on my account.

#11 OFFLINE   donalddickerson2005

donalddickerson2005

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:28 PM

Not "always" ... 18 month contracts used to be the norm. Now both services offer 24 month contracts. You do not have to sign a 24 month contract with DISH, but if you do not you have to pay for everything (no discounted equipment or install).

No ... There are plenty of DISH receivers that could be purchased, self installed and activated without contract. Even the most recent can be purchased outright.

That is the same for DirecTV also if you want to pay for everything go on. But I for 1 don't mind the contract since I am not going anywhere else anytime soon.

#12 OFFLINE   spikor

spikor

AllStar

• Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 05:08 PM

I know this might be a Dish Related comment but goes along with a 24 Month / 2 year Commitment. I own my own receivers a 722K a 222K and another 222K and Dish and LNB. Eventhough I own everything. I WAS Still LOCKED into a 2 Year Contract with the FREE HD for Life Package. I told them since I owned everything I did not have a Commitment and they said YES I was LOCKED in for 2 Years DUE to the FREE HD for Life Package. I was going to Cancel and Leave for Numberous reasons Last June the 722K had to be reset numberous times Daily and one 222K as well. I was also getting the annoying lost Satellite Signal Messages and WAS going to Cancel since I owned everything and have NO Contract. BUT they told me since I do own everything I could not DUE to being LOCKED in to a 2 year Contract by taking the FREE HD for Life Package. It is up in April 2013 so I will CANCEL in May 2013 to be 2 years PLUS 1 Month so there will be NO Conflicts that I broke the Contract too early. I was told when I do cancel that I would be sent Boxes to return the Equipment and I told them what do you all not understand I own everything. I own my own Receivers. I own my own Dish and I own my own LNB ( or Nose Piece )you are not getting anything in return. And it does also show up as OWNED in the Status as Owned or Leased.

#13 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,485 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 05:49 PM

DirecTV and dish have always been 2 year contracts. .

Not True! Prior to 2006

SD non DVRs where 12 month commitments, and 18 months on Advanced equipment. Only when the New lease rule went into effect( March 2006 ) did the 24 month commitment become standard on advanced equipment.

Edited by damondlt, 03 March 2013 - 08:12 PM.

Blue Ridge Communticatons

HD Basic Plus, HBO, Cinemax,Starz /Encore

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Livingroom Samsung 6030,55 inch

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 inch

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4

Basic Plus analog Bedroom 5 and 6

G15 Internet

#14 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:36 PM

Not True! Prior to 2006

SD non DVRs where 12 month commitments, and 18 months on Advanced equipment. Only when the New lease rule went into effect( March 2006 ) did the 24 month commitment become standard.

Don't they have SD boxes with a 12 month commitment anymore or did that changed? because last time I called (last year when i added receivers) I remember them saying 12 months for regular SD boxes non dvrs and 24 months advanced receiver.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#15 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:45 PM

I know this might be a Dish Related comment but goes along with a 24 Month / 2 year Commitment. I own my own receivers a 722K a 222K and another 222K and Dish and LNB. Eventhough I own everything. I WAS Still LOCKED into a 2 Year Contract with the FREE HD for Life Package. I told them since I owned everything I did not have a Commitment and they said YES I was LOCKED in for 2 Years DUE to the FREE HD for Life Package. I was going to Cancel and Leave for Numberous reasons Last June the 722K had to be reset numberous times Daily and one 222K as well. I was also getting the annoying lost Satellite Signal Messages and WAS going to Cancel since I owned everything and have NO Contract. BUT they told me since I do own everything I could not DUE to being LOCKED in to a 2 year Contract by taking the FREE HD for Life Package. It is up in April 2013 so I will CANCEL in May 2013 to be 2 years PLUS 1 Month so there will be NO Conflicts that I broke the Contract too early. I was told when I do cancel that I would be sent Boxes to return the Equipment and I told them what do you all not understand I own everything. I own my own Receivers. I own my own Dish and I own my own LNB ( or Nose Piece )you are not getting anything in return. And it does also show up as OWNED in the Status as Owned or Leased.

Wow just the free hd for life locks you in for 24 month commitment? Even though you own everything else. How about canceling FHDFL and just paying $10 monthly fee.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#16 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,485 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:11 PM

Don't they have SD boxes with a 12 month commitment anymore or did that changed? because last time I called (last year when i added receivers) I remember them saying 12 months for regular SD boxes non dvrs and 24 months advanced receiver.

Yes Standard boxes are still 12 months.
I edited my post to be more clear.:)

Blue Ridge Communticatons

HD Basic Plus, HBO, Cinemax,Starz /Encore

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Livingroom Samsung 6030,55 inch

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 inch

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4

Basic Plus analog Bedroom 5 and 6

G15 Internet

#17 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,236 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 11:54 PM

Wow just the free hd for life locks you in for 24 month commitment? Even though you own everything else. How about canceling FHDFL and just paying $10 monthly fee.

There are three ways of getting HD Free for Life on DISH.
1) Grandfathering: Be a person who subscribed to HD+Platinum HD when Free HD was introduced. Those subscribers were converted to Free HD plus what is now the Blockbuster Movie Pack. No further commitment is needed.
2) Commit to 24 months, autopay and paperless billing. Most new subscribers get HD Free for life with this commitment (since they are already committing to 24 months to get their install it is not a big issue).
3) Pay $99 (effectively 10 months of $10 HD) and have no additional commitment or autopay/paperless requirements.

If the customer CHOOSES to make a commitment to get Free HD it is their choice.

#18 OFFLINE   MattScahum

MattScahum

Legend

• Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:26 PM

Directv requires a 2 year contract.

They will give you a free move once a year. You have to complete 12 months prior to each move. Otherwise there will be a hefty fee.

Moving to an address where you can't receive service will not automaticly release you from your contract.

You would be better off waiting till you reach your finnal destination before ordering Directv. Unless you just like spending hours on the phone and stress.

I should.probably elaborate on this.. You are not guaranteed a free move once a year. Your move cost is based on tenure, payment history, account status, level if service, etc. I have seen customers with 3yrs service with shaky pay history pay more than a 1yr cust with perfect.history so it varies by account. But as.it says you can.qualify for 1 move at a reduced.rate.a.year
Even though I am an employee, my thoughts/comments/ideas are mine and not affiliated whatsoever with Directv as a company/employer/etc.

~TV Setup~

Panasonic 42PZ80U
Onkyo TXSR606
Xbox 360 250gb Slim
Samsung BDP-1500 Blu Ray
DirecTV HR24-500 HD DVR
Monster Power 1600
Harmony One remote

Protected By... spam firewall...And...