Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Your thoughts about the Bose Solo sound bar

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,906 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:41 PM

Let's be a little more polite, ok? No name calling, even if you claim it's not directed at anyone in particular. Thanks.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,496 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:16 PM

Bose puts out a decent product, but they're very overpriced, so you can always find better for less.

As far as soundbars, they can work fairly well IF you have the right room for it. Remember, that a soundbar works by reflecting sounds off of adjacent walls, so if the TV is in the center of the walll and you have full walls on both sides (and the seating area is also in the middle of the rear wall - directly in front of the display), then they can work well. If you have an open floor plan or windows along one wall, or your display is off to one side of the wall that it's on, then the reflections will be all off (or non-existent) and the sound could actually be worse than just a center channel alone or two sides would be.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#23 OFFLINE   hfa

hfa

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:09 AM

Have a few different types of soundbars and the zvok 555 and the 580 will beat the solo hands down. They are platform boxes where you put the tv on top OR on a shelf,but the size of the boxes are huge and in some consoles will not fit.zvoks weigh 28 to 45 lbs. THEY ARE THE SIMPLEST CONNECTION AND FOR ME WORK BETTER IN A BEDROOM OR OFFICE. sOUND IS VERY GOOD AND IT HAS ADJUSTMENTS FOR TREB AND BASS. bASS WILL NOT PERFORM AS WELL AS A SOUNDBAR/SEPERATE WOOFER. A soundbar needs to be 250/300 watts to get the sound out well enough to fill a room and not sound like a tiny box.Zvok can get richness, but it can not be added to or hdmi.JBL,KLIPSCH ICON SB1 AND THE SOUND PROJECTORS DO A MORE REAL SOUND away from 5.1, but that is the price of a decent 5.1. polk, jbl, harmon, and yamaha make soundbars around $400 which sound good.Listen before you buy.Bose has always been a Master at selling a productl

#24 OFFLINE   puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:07 AM

While I do agree that Bose is overpriced, I will say one thing for them. I have an old 321 system from them that I inherited from my grandfather. One of the speakers was not working when I got the system, but it was well out of warranty. Anyhow, I called Bose looking to see if there was any way to get a schematic of the electronics inside so my roommate could check for problems. Bose said no to that (no real surprise there), however for $79 they would return the system to like new condition, regardless of how many issues it had, and give it a new warranty just like it was brand new. At least in my eyes, that's pretty awesome, and a great price for what you get. So, while I probably wouldn't buy one new, I will say it seems like they take care of those who have.
The postings on this site are my own and don't represent Dish's positions, strategies, or opinions.

-Puck

#25 ONLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,827 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:15 PM

They do indeed! Plus in a smaller room that 321 system has a very nice sound. I still have one of those systems in the room that is my wife's mom cave.

Now new for the money one could get something far nicer sounding and a real surround to boot. But for a smaller room the WAF (wife acceptance factor) overall sound and add in the lifetime service policy and it can be a good deal for the right circumstances.

As to soundbars themselves, if all you want is fuller sound and more volume and are not determined to have surround effect then choose what sounds best to your ears (and properly connects to your equipment) and be happy.

I run a Yamaha Digital Sound Projector (YSP-1000) in a massive 736 square foot master bedroom with a 12 inch Polk sub that has and incredible soundstage but these cost a LOT. Nonetheless if a single "speaker box" is all you got room (or permission) for the Yamaha YSP line is worthy of consideration. (this system replaced another 321 I had)

In the end there is no substitute for multi channel surround but circumstances can make any of the above liveable. and budget considerations also shape the focus. If the Bose soundbar has managed to create a bass response similar to what they have done with the wave radios it might be just fine to the ears of some.

Don "it all boils down to what suits you and your situation" Bolton

While I do agree that Bose is overpriced, I will say one thing for them. I have an old 321 system from them that I inherited from my grandfather. One of the speakers was not working when I got the system, but it was well out of warranty. Anyhow, I called Bose looking to see if there was any way to get a schematic of the electronics inside so my roommate could check for problems. Bose said no to that (no real surprise there), however for $79 they would return the system to like new condition, regardless of how many issues it had, and give it a new warranty just like it was brand new. At least in my eyes, that's pretty awesome, and a great price for what you get. So, while I probably wouldn't buy one new, I will say it seems like they take care of those who have.

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...