Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

multi room viewing

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,265 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:50 PM

I'm sure it works in many cases. But why do it when you don't have to? If you can plug an ethernet cable into your HR34 you obviously have ethernet and coax side by side. Why not install a CCK in that case? It certainly is cheap enough, both to acquire and operate.

Personally, I don't see any difference at all in performance between the HR34 and our HR24s.

As mentioned, I don't want another device using up an outlet if I don't need it. Also, my CCK was just a white DECA so I would need to have another coax run to where the HR34 is or add in a splitter, which I would rather not do.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   garywitt

garywitt

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:17 PM

I changed the setup behind the hr34 so that the incoming coax goes to a splitter, then the PI on the power passing port and the Ht 34 on the other port, and so far so good. I'll post back if I see the problem again. Thanks for the help! Still have the Ethernet directly into the HR 34 with no deca adapter, for now.
LNB3 with SWM16
HR34,HR22,HR20,R22

#23 OFFLINE   garywitt

garywitt

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:01 AM

All was good for 2 days. Then this morning I am browsing the guide, not using MRV when I get two messages that my receivers have dropped off the network. I checked whole home status a minute later, and they are still there.

I then ran a system test, and got the following weird message:

Home network interference problem. Test failed.

The [ VIERA GT50] receiver has a reduced network performance. If you are having a problem viewing recordings from this receiver, please call customer service and report the diagnostic code displayed above.

Diagnostic code 48-254

Weird! The viera is my TV, not a receiver. And it is connected wirelessly, not even on the same wired connection as my hr34.

Thoughts? Is the tv presence of the network somehow causing a problem with the directv deca network?
LNB3 with SWM16
HR34,HR22,HR20,R22

#24 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,849 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:08 AM

All was good for 2 days. Then this morning I am browsing the guide, not using MRV when I get two messages that my receivers have dropped off the network. I checked whole home status a minute later, and they are still there.

I then ran a system test, and got the following weird message:

Home network interference problem. Test failed.

The [ VIERA GT50] receiver has a reduced network performance. If you are having a problem viewing recordings from this receiver, please call customer service and report the diagnostic code displayed above.

Diagnostic code 48-254

Weird! The viera is my TV, not a receiver. And it is connected wirelessly, not even on the same wired connection as my hr34.

Thoughts? Is the tv presence of the network somehow causing a problem with the directv deca network?

This TV is somehow part of the DECA network, or you wouldn't get this error.
A.K.A VOS

#25 OFFLINE   garywitt

garywitt

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:40 AM

It is only connected in that it has a wireless connection to the same router that is connected directly by Ethernet cat5e to the HR34.
LNB3 with SWM16
HR34,HR22,HR20,R22

#26 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,162 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:20 PM

It is only connected in that it has a wireless connection to the same router that is connected directly by Ethernet cat5e to the HR34.

Try rebooting the HR34 and check again for the error message;

It seems the HR34 is not bridging properly to maintain the correct logical separation of the DECA cloud from the rest of your home network, thus allowing the TV set to be sensed as a DIRECTV receiver client within the DECA cloud.

If this does not work I'd suggest the traditional 2x1 splitter and separate CCK behind the HR34.

I really like the internal DECA bridge capability of the HR34, but there have been some rare reports of problems with it leading to strange behavior at times.

#27 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,849 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:21 PM

This is very confusing, because the error comes from the coax networking and another DECA node reporting its name and low PHY mesh rate.
A receiver that doesn't have an internal DECA, and needs an external DECA can't give this error code. All external DECAs will only report their MAC address in place of the name of the location.

I can only guess that part of the "A Home Network Linking the Entire House
DLNA" feature of this TV is somehow interacting with the coax networking.
A.K.A VOS

#28 OFFLINE   garywitt

garywitt

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:10 PM

I have not been able to duplicate the VIERA message...odd. I now have a new error message on my system test regarding receivers dropping off the network frequently. In my troubleshooting attempts, I have changed my tv from a wireless to a wired connection, I also removed the Ethernet from the HR34 and installed the DECA adapter on another coax line next to an Ethernet jack that was not being used. So far, so good, I've watched a 2hr show through multi room viewing and no problems yet.
LNB3 with SWM16
HR34,HR22,HR20,R22

#29 OFFLINE   garywitt

garywitt

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:27 PM

Frustrating. The changes I described above, everything worked fine for 2 weeks. Now, I have frequent "receiver has dropped off the network" messages, about every 10 to 15 minutes, but then I am able to restart the program immediately. So it is only paused for about 5 seconds. But it happens every time, every recording that streams from another room.

Frustrating.
LNB3 with SWM16
HR34,HR22,HR20,R22

#30 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,162 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:12 AM

Frustrating. The changes I described above, everything worked fine for 2 weeks. Now, I have frequent "receiver has dropped off the network" messages, about every 10 to 15 minutes, but then I am able to restart the program immediately. So it is only paused for about 5 seconds. But it happens every time, every recording that streams from another room.

Frustrating.

Can you set your Century Link modem/router to bridging mode and use another separate router? Even with static IPs set outside the DHCP range, if its a problematic gateway, it may still interfere like this at times.

#31 OFFLINE   garywitt

garywitt

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 08:46 PM

Any recommendations? Thinking about the apple time capsule since I have an iMac and am in need for a a backup, external hd as well...
LNB3 with SWM16
HR34,HR22,HR20,R22

#32 OFFLINE   garywitt

garywitt

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:22 PM

Aaargh!!! I really need some expert advice here...

New software downloaded...067e. Tuesday 3/12 at 2:20 am. The next morning I woke up to find the hr34 completely erased. All recordings, all series links,all network settings gone. ????

I have also now been getting new freezing behavior, about once per day, especially when using the system info page.

Also, whole home was now completely not working. I could not see any other receivers, no other connections. The network indicator on the decas for my hr22 and hr21 were yellow. On the wired cck, the power and network lights were green but the c.link light was completely off. I called directv, who concluded there was a cabling problem and arranged a service call this Tuesday.

I thought perhaps it was because my settings had been deleted, I went back into advanced setup and put my static ip addresses back in. No luck. I thought my wired deca bb adapter was toast, so I connected an Ethernet line back directly into the hr34 and took the deca adapter out of the equation. I instantly connected to the Internet, no problem, but still could not connect to the other receivers. Reran a system test....and....

Home network distribution problem.
The [ ] [router-001bb13e6c97] [router-b4f2e885fb17] [denon avr-1913] receivers have poor network connection. Etc.

Code 47-182

So confused. I don't even know what the routers refer to, and the denon is my av receiver. I had this problem earlier, see above, where it named my tv as well. It seems to think everything in my house is part of the deca network, which is causing problems.

What do I do? Interestingly, whole home seems to work on my hr21 and hr22, at least I can see the other two receivers. But no luck with the hr34....
LNB3 with SWM16
HR34,HR22,HR20,R22

#33 OFFLINE   garywitt

garywitt

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:40 PM

If this helps with troubleshooting...

After running the system test and getting that message...whole home dvr started working from the hr34. I then restarted my router and all receivers, and it stopped working again. Whole home status said no receivers connected. Then I ran the system test again, got the same message as above, and whole home started working again. Running the system test seems to reliably fix it, although temporarily...
LNB3 with SWM16
HR34,HR22,HR20,R22

#34 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,849 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:47 PM

I'm not going to go back through this thread, but remove the router connection, reset all receiver network settings to default and then reboot each.
This "closes the loop" to what DirecTV has and see what it does. You don't need internet at this moment.
A.K.A VOS

#35 OFFLINE   garywitt

garywitt

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:25 PM

Ok I did this. But to make sure I understand, I have no Ethernet or deca broadband adapter anywhere. So I have coax directly into the hr34, coax into a deca adapter and then into my hr21, and same for the hr22.

With this setup, hr34 in whole home status shows no devices connected. System test states error that the receiver is configured for a network, but no network is connected. The ip range is now in the 169 range instead of 192.

My hr 22 , on the other hand, shows both of the other receivers in whole home status. System test here says that the receiver is configured to work with a home Internet but is unable to access the Internet, unsurprisingly. Also get an error about not being connected to either Internet or a phone line, and being unable to order Ppv.

Hr21 also shows both other receivers in whole home status. System test shows same as above.

Hr34 needs to be configured differently somehow ?
LNB3 with SWM16
HR34,HR22,HR20,R22

#36 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,849 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:38 PM

You're on the right track.
All the receivers should show they're using the 169.xxx IP.
Without a router they may take some time to poll the network and find the other DVRs, so give it over night and see what they show. If they haven't found each other, then try a reboot on the 34.
A.K.A VOS

#37 OFFLINE   garywitt

garywitt

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:11 AM

I thought things were all good this morning as all 3 receivers could see each other. However, I played a MRV program on my hr34, streaming from the hr22, and about 15 minutes in program stopped and got the same error message, master br hd dvr has dropped off the network.

This is with no router or Internet connected...
LNB3 with SWM16
HR34,HR22,HR20,R22

#38 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,849 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:28 AM

I thought things were all good this morning as all 3 receivers could see each other. However, I played a MRV program on my hr34, streaming from the hr22, and about 15 minutes in program stopped and got the same error message, master br hd dvr has dropped off the network.

This is with no router or Internet connected...

OK, so what do the lights on the HR22 DECA look like? Are all of them green?
A.K.A VOS

#39 OFFLINE   garywitt

garywitt

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:06 AM

The HR22 deca shows green power light, green ntwk light although occasionally blinking, and the c.link light is off. The HR21 deca is different, is black instead of white and is oval instead of rectangular, on this deca the power is green, network is orange and there is no c.link light.
LNB3 with SWM16
HR34,HR22,HR20,R22

#40 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,849 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:12 AM

The HR22 deca shows green power light, green ntwk light although occasionally blinking, and the c.link light is off. The HR21 deca is different, is black instead of white and is oval instead of rectangular, on this deca the power is green, network is orange and there is no c.link light.

The clink being "off" isn't a good thing.
The next thing I'd try is swapping the two DECAs.
clink & network have been combined on the black DECA.
A.K.A VOS

Protected By... spam firewall...And...