Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Free Genie upgrade to new customers, when do existing ones get that?

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   MRM

MRM

AllStar

• Registered
  • 96 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:49 PM

I logged in to my account on directv.com and up popped an item saying new customers can upgrade to the Genie for free. While that's a great promotion, when do existing customers get a deal like that? I was told it would cost me $299 to upgrade to the Genie. I think DirecTV should throw us (existing customers) some kind of a bone too.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,686 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:16 PM

Long time customers can sometimes get these deals, too. You just need to call and ask.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#3 ONLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,937 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:28 PM

I think DirecTV should throw us (existing customers) some kind of a bone too.

They do all they time. It depends on your account history and tenure. give them a call

#4 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,065 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:02 PM

Both son and brother in law both got a Genie for $49+$49 install, one of which included the installation of a SWiM16.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#5 OFFLINE   Bajanjack

Bajanjack

Icon

• Registered
  • 677 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:10 PM

Both son and brother in law both got a Genie for $49+$49 install, one of which included the installation of a SWiM16.

I'm a long time customer and got my box last Wed...I got the box for $49 and used my own installer.......
HR34-700, HR20-700, HR21-100,HR24-500,H24-100, R16-300

#6 OFFLINE   jjn

jjn

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:11 PM

Just called yesterday and got one for $54 shipped to me. Plus got a nice credit on the bill for 12 months.

#7 OFFLINE   MRM

MRM

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 96 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:43 PM

I had to replace a dead receiver about 18 months or so ago. I'm not to the point to get any kind of a deal just yet. I hadn't seen any existing customers get those good deals. Guess I'll be calling again sometime in the summer.

#8 OFFLINE   grecorj

grecorj

Legend

• Registered
  • 131 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:07 PM

I got mine for free last week: free Genie, free shipping, no installation requirement or charge (I was swapping with an existing box and would have <8 tuners when activated -- otherwise would have to go from SMW8 -- SMW16 and would have need installation). Less than a 10 minute phone conversation.
HR34-700 --> HDMI --> Sony KDL-46EX501
HR24-500 --> HDMI --> Sony KDL-32EX401
HR24-500 --> HDMI --> Samsung LN19A450C1D (only 1 tuner active)

DIRECTV customer since Feb 2002
HD, WHDVR and ICK since Aug 2010
P.I.T.A. since birth :)

#9 OFFLINE   unixguru

unixguru

Godfather

• Registered
  • 579 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:13 PM

I got mine last summer for $99 after some moderate haggling. At the time there were some on this forum chewing me out for complaining how hard it was to get a better deal than the published price. I don't recall exactly but I think published price at the time was $299 or $399. Alas this is the typical cycle. No doubt the HR44 will demand bucks for awhile and then not.

At this point I'm kinda puzzled as to how much longer the 2-tuner DVR will remain. The only thing going for it is that you can have more than one on an account. Once multiple HR34/HR44/... are allowed, why even have a 2-tuner any longer? Maybe that has been their plan all along - to transition DVR to 5-tuner. Hmmm... everybody should have a DVR then too, right?

So in a couple of years are we going to see two hardware products, a 5-tuner DVR and a client? All free?

I'm certainly going to step further back from the bleeding edge and stop paying for hardware that will be given away shortly thereafter.

#10 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:49 PM

Have a HT customer getting a HR34, a client, and a KaKu SWiM upgrade (and is keeping one working HR24 and sending back a dead HR20). Think he said the upgrade was $150. He was happy, but I see some other deals look pretty good.

He said the $ was the same or higher if he got 2 clients and a 34 and turned in both DVRs, or got two H2Xs and a 34 and turned in both DVRs. Decided to keep one HDDVR as it works fine and he won't lose recordings, and tuner total will still be under 8. Client goes behind 37 inch LCD in kitchen which formerly was SD modulated off the dead HR20. He's not sure being able to record 7 different shows at the same time will happen much, but I told him he could simulate PTAT and add PBS and CW and still have a tuner left over.

:lol:

#11 OFFLINE   johnp37

johnp37

Icon

• Registered
  • 537 posts
  • LocationCentral NJ

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:32 PM

They do all they time. It depends on your account history and tenure. give them a call

I shouldn't have a problem then since I am going on 18 years with DTV with a perfect payment history and have had the premier tier of programming for at least 10 years. Should count for something.
I pick things up and I put them down

#12 OFFLINE   scott0702

scott0702

Legend

• Registered
  • 214 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:44 PM

I got mine for free last week: free Genie, free shipping, no installation requirement or charge (I was swapping with an existing box and would have <8 tuners when activated -- otherwise would have to go from SMW8 -- SMW16 and would have need installation). Less than a 10 minute phone conversation.

Got mine installed the other day. I also received a free upgrade but because of my setup a professional installation was required and that was 49.00. They added an additional SWM16 to my existing SWM16 due to the number of HDDVR's I already have. Also needed a second PI and cinema connection kit so they ran additional cable for that. Everything is working great.

#13 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:37 AM

and how many times you have called in and obtained special pricing or discounts

#14 OFFLINE   johnp37

johnp37

Icon

• Registered
  • 537 posts
  • LocationCentral NJ

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:29 AM

I shouldn't have a problem then since I am going on 18 years with DTV with a perfect payment history and have had the premier tier of programming for at least 10 years. Should count for something.

Update response from DTV: all told for an upgrade to Genie (full price), SWM, Whole Home,client boxes, installation charge will cost me an out of pocket outlay of $990. No typo, you read that right. So much for long time loyalty. Told them forget it.

#15 OFFLINE   drded

drded

Godfather

• Registered
  • 373 posts
  • LocationTucson, AZ

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:42 AM

Same here. Customer for over 10 years. Had an HR200 fail about a month ago. While talking to the rep I asked if there were any deals or incentives on the HR34. Nope. $299 to upgrade plus 49 install.

I certainly don't understand the inconsistency.

Dave

5LNB Slimline
HR34-700 & HR24-200
HDMI > HDMI Switch > Toshiba DLP
NetGear Ethernet Switcher

#16 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,677 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:07 AM

I got mine last summer for $99 after some moderate haggling. At the time there were some on this forum chewing me out for complaining how hard it was to get a better deal than the published price. I don't recall exactly but I think published price at the time was $299 or $399. Alas this is the typical cycle. No doubt the HR44 will demand bucks for awhile and then not.

At this point I'm kinda puzzled as to how much longer the 2-tuner DVR will remain. The only thing going for it is that you can have more than one on an account. Once multiple HR34/HR44/... are allowed, why even have a 2-tuner any longer? Maybe that has been their plan all along - to transition DVR to 5-tuner. Hmmm... everybody should have a DVR then too, right?

So in a couple of years are we going to see two hardware products, a 5-tuner DVR and a client? All free?

I'm certainly going to step further back from the bleeding edge and stop paying for hardware that will be given away shortly thereafter.

I still prefer having my 5 DVRs. 10 Tuners and can record on any of them through my lap top, more disk space,and most of all all of my eggs are not in the same basket. If your Genie goes out, no TV at all, if I have a DVR go out I'm still good.

#17 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,007 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:07 AM

Update response from DTV: all told for an upgrade to Genie (full price), SWM, Whole Home,client boxes, installation charge will cost me an out of pocket outlay of $990. No typo, you read that right. So much for long time loyalty. Told them forget it.

Call again, eventually you'll get a rep willing to work with you.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#18 OFFLINE   unixguru

unixguru

Godfather

• Registered
  • 579 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:54 AM

I still prefer having my 5 DVRs. 10 Tuners and can record on any of them through my lap top, more disk space,and most of all all of my eggs are not in the same basket. If your Genie goes out, no TV at all, if I have a DVR go out I'm still good.

The point I was trying to make was... if 5-tuner DVR is same price (possibly zero) as a 2-tuner DVR and they allow just as many on an account... why would they bother having a 2-tuner model and why would a customer prefer it?

The only reason I can think of at the moment is the SWM limits but those are not hard limits.

#19 OFFLINE   JBv

JBv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 901 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:09 AM

If they do the order right, the most I could conceivably think of it being is $299 for the Genie, $99 for the CCK which will get you a SWM and swap out any incompatible receivers with Clients (D10, D11, any non-SWM compatible receivers would be converted to clients with the paid CCK upgrade), $49 for the installation, and a $50 Equipment Upgrade fee (this is rarely charged unless the system forces it for various reasons, one of them being excessive credits). Also as of yesterday it appeared the $99 CCK upgrade done for a SWM should be credited on HR34 upgrades. Unless things have changed, which is entirely possible.

Now if you want to swap out a D12 for a client or an H21 for a client then that would be another $99, but if you have D10s and D11s or non-SWM compatible equipment those get swapped included in the paid Genie/CCK upgrade.

What were you trying to get them to give you? And what equipment do you have?
DirecTV Employee
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DirecTV's positions, strategies, or opinions.

#20 OFFLINE   johnp37

johnp37

Icon

• Registered
  • 537 posts
  • LocationCentral NJ

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:16 AM

Call again, eventually you'll get a rep willing to work with you.

All these CSRs quote from the same DTV corporate training manual. I have as much chance of getting a deal as I have of being elected the next Pope. Over the years of communicating with them they preface EVERY response essentially the same: "I see you have been a loyal customer for many years" then the other shoe drops.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...