Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Free Genie upgrade to new customers, when do existing ones get that?

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   johnp37

johnp37

Icon

• Registered
  • 537 posts
  • LocationCentral NJ

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:26 AM

If they do the order right, the most I could conceivably think of it being is $299 for the Genie, $99 for the CCK which will get you a SWM and swap out any incompatible receivers with Clients (D10, D11, any non-SWM compatible receivers would be converted to clients with the paid CCK upgrade), $49 for the installation, and a $50 Equipment Upgrade fee (this is rarely charged unless the system forces it for various reasons, one of them being excessive credits). Also as of yesterday it appeared the $99 CCK upgrade done for a SWM should be credited on HR34 upgrades. Unless things have changed, which is entirely possible.

Now if you want to swap out a D12 for a client or an H21 for a client then that would be another $99, but if you have D10s and D11s or non-SWM compatible equipment those get swapped included in the paid Genie/CCK upgrade.

What were you trying to get them to give you? And what equipment do you have?

No more than the deep discounts they offer to new subscribers. I've seen HR34s(Genie) offered for either/or free/$99, free install, free swm install. My equipment: 3 HR24s,1 HR22, 1 HR21.
I pick things up and I put them down

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,744 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:01 PM

No more than the deep discounts they offer to new subscribers. I've seen HR34s(Genie) offered for either/or free/$99, free install, free swm install. My equipment: 3 HR24s,1 HR22, 1 HR21.

When was the last time you got a free or discounted upgrade and when was the last time you called in and got some other discounts? How often do you call and get discounts?

#23 OFFLINE   Tonedeaf

Tonedeaf

Legend

• Registered
  • 245 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:08 PM

CSR Roulette is definitely what needs to be done with folks not getting the Genie for a good(to you) price. I was offered Genie for free including 2 clients that I then declined as I reassessed my situation and was fine with my current DVR setup after a swap of a faulty one. Was not under contract at time I was given the offer either.
Equipment
HR22-100(VOD/MRV) SWM/DECA connected via HDMI on Panasonic TC-P58S2
HR24-200(VOD/MRV) SWM/DECA connected via HDMI on Panasonic TH-50PZ85U
HR21-700(VOD/MRV) W/AM21 SWM/DECA connected via HDMI to Sony KDL-46V3000
HR22-100(VOD/MRV) SWM/DECA connected via HDMI to Westinghouse 37"LCD
H24-200 SWM connected via HDMI to Samsung 24" LCD

AU9 Dish , SWM-16, SWS-8 Splitter

#24 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:27 PM

CSR Roulette is definitely what needs to be done with folks not getting the Genie for a good(to you) price. I was offered Genie for free including 2 clients that I then declined as I reassessed my situation and was fine with my current DVR setup after a swap of a faulty one. Was not under contract at time I was given the offer either.

Never played CSR roulette, always was offered on the first call, but have only called in 4 times since 1996 for upgrades the other times where to place service calls under the protection plan

#25 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,723 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:43 PM

All these CSRs quote from the same DTV corporate training manual. I have as much chance of getting a deal as I have of being elected the next Pope. Over the years of communicating with them they preface EVERY response essentially the same: "I see you have been a loyal customer for many years" then the other shoe drops.

Not true. There are a great number of posts on here where people have received different price quotes on each call.

Now if you're someone who calls multiple times per year and asks for deals, price cuts, etc then what you were given may be all they are willing to offer you.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#26 OFFLINE   grecorj

grecorj

Legend

• Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:51 PM

Update response from DTV: all told for an upgrade to Genie (full price), SWM, Whole Home,client boxes, installation charge will cost me an out of pocket outlay of $990. No typo, you read that right. So much for long time loyalty. Told them forget it.

Unheard of. Especially if your history with DirecTV is as you originally stated. Even when I updated to HD 2 years ago I paid out of pocket $150 or so -- new dish, 2 hr24 DVRs, 1 h24 receiver, installation, cck, whole home. I think full price would have been $550 or so with installation. So I got a substantial discount with hardly a push from me on cost.

I believe the HR34 is $299 now (was $399) and the clients are $99. Installation is normally $49 and would include swm, dish, wiring.

How many clients did you order? I guess if you asked for 5 + genie + install, full price would come out to $850. Still, I can't imagine that you couldn't get genie + install for much much less. I don't know how much they'd help on 5 additional clients -- 1 or 2 I'm sure they would throw some credit your way, but maybe not for 4 or 5.

Edit: missed your post where you mentioned current equipment. Updated my post to reflect.
HR34-700 --> HDMI --> Sony KDL-46EX501
HR24-500 --> HDMI --> Sony KDL-32EX401
HR24-500 --> HDMI --> Samsung LN19A450C1D (only 1 tuner active)

DIRECTV customer since Feb 2002
HD, WHDVR and ICK since Aug 2010
P.I.T.A. since birth :)

#27 OFFLINE   grecorj

grecorj

Legend

• Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:01 PM

Then you should be just getting Genie + swm 16 I believe. No need for clients. Should be $299 + $49 install max. If you hesitate on price I would imagine they would waive install and drop Genie price by $100 VERY QUICKLY. if not, call back. Worth investing 10 minutes to save big money. Good luck.

#28 OFFLINE   grecorj

grecorj

Legend

• Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:03 PM

Now if you're someone who calls multiple times per year and asks for deals, price cuts, etc then what you were given may be all they are willing to offer you.

Nah. That's me and I have never been told "no". Not yet anyway. Not bragging, just saying the discounts are out there. Might take a few calls, with the investment of time.

#29 OFFLINE   jjn

jjn

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:52 PM

It's called the "Persistency Discount"

#30 OFFLINE   johnp37

johnp37

Icon

• Registered
  • 537 posts
  • LocationCentral NJ

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:05 PM

Not true. There are a great number of posts on here where people have received different price quotes on each call.

In 17 1/2 years with DTV I have called a grand total of 2 times requesting, mind you, not demanding a break/discount on equipment. Honestly, I just don't care to go through the hassle of haggling with these people. I have 5 DVRs. If I wish to record more than two programs that happen to be on at the same time or overlap time periods, I'll just set up my other DVRs to resolve that issue.
I pick things up and I put them down

#31 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,217 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:05 AM

I shouldn't have a problem then since I am going on 18 years with DTV with a perfect payment history and have had the premier tier of programming for at least 10 years. Should count for something.

They've offered me the 34 a couple times at no charge. In fact, they've offered me anything I want at no charge just to get me to re-up on my comittment.

I already have 24 tuners and don't see any reason to get one. As for the 2 tuner HRs going away, I kinda doubt that and would be very disappointed to see that happen. Using the 2 tuner HRs gives you more flexibility and more recording capacity. I also have 24TBs of capacity.

Put simply, I think my system is better than a couple (if we ever see two or more 5 tuner units allowed) 5 tuner HRs with receivers that aren't DVRs.

But, I might take a 44 when they offer me one at no charge...and they will, sooner or later.

Rich

#32 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,395 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:39 AM

In 17 1/2 years with DTV I have called a grand total of 2 times requesting, mind you, not demanding a break/discount on equipment.

Sometimes, I think that being a maintenance-free, long-term customer who has never asked for anything ends up working against some of us. DirecTV really has no reason to assume that we're going anywhere else. So, we can get taken for granted.

I believe that, when you feel that you're being taken for granted, you need to go out of your way to make it known that you're considering other options. First get yourself to Customer Retention (who are the people who have the most leeway to make good offers) and tell them that you're considering a move to Dish because they are offering a real good deal on the Hopper. Then ask if DirecTV can make a similar offer.

#33 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:24 PM

I supervised (LOL) the HR34 upgrade today. Went well except for a defective SWiM LNB (took installer all of 5 minutes to isolate the problem and replace it) and there was quite a bit of coax in the basement, and we were careful.

HR34 and client lit up just fine, existing HDDVR (it was a 22, thot it was a 24) had it's list visible on other 2 machines. Cleared out a nest of modulators and install looks pretty good.

The AVR doesn't seem to be working, so it didn't matter old DVR had optical audio out and new one is coax and the AVR is out of the right type of jack. I'll see if my client wants a new AVR or a soundbar of some type.

I did reset one remote to AV1 to operate the client, I don't think there would be much chance it might try to operate HR34 in living room, but why take the chance.

No extra charges, install went well and client happy with the deal.

And I got to keep the bricked HR20, :eek2:

#34 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:10 AM

Sometimes, I think that being a maintenance-free, long-term customer who has never asked for anything ends up working against some of us. DirecTV really has no reason to assume that we're going anywhere else. So, we can get taken for granted.

I believe that, when you feel that you're being taken for granted, you need to go out of your way to make it known that you're considering other options. First get yourself to Customer Retention (who are the people who have the most leeway to make good offers) and tell them that you're considering a move to Dish because they are offering a real good deal on the Hopper. Then ask if DirecTV can make a similar offer.

disagree, out side of service calls under the PP, I have called a total of 4 times since 1996 for upgrades, never had to go to retention, the first csr I talked to was able to offer the deal that I could accept

#35 OFFLINE   Shaqdan

Shaqdan

Legend

• Registered
  • 138 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:01 AM

I called yesterday to cancel my DirecTV, since I still cannot watch Rockets games in Houston. In the end, I got offered a free Genie, free install, and $15 off my bill for 18 months. I didn't have to do any customer service roulette, I just called, said "CANCEL" and talked to a nice person who was willing to do what it took to keep me as a customer.

#36 OFFLINE   kram

kram

Godfather

• Registered
  • 514 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:53 AM

A call to Retention usually does the trick for long-standing customers.
<p>5-LNB SlimLine w/SWM16 // HR44-700 w/Samsung UN40ES6100 // HR24-200 w/Sony KDL-46XBR9 // HR23-700 w/Samsung UN32D4000 // Pioneer Elite VSX-23TXH A/V Receiver // Sony Blu-ray BDP-S3100 // DirecTV since 2000

#37 OFFLINE   dnelms

dnelms

Legend

• Registered
  • 199 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:08 PM

I called the regular customer service number and was able to get a decent deal. I currently do not have whole home, so I was offered the Genie and 2 clients for free. Using the techs suggestions, I am keeping my 2 hd-dvr's and not using the clients. However, it is costing me $99 for the swm setup and $49 installation. Tried my best to get the installation waived, but no go. My question to the group is, my account shows the $99 as the cinema connection kits, but yet I already have an Ethernet connection driving the main DVR. Is that their way of getting the dollars for the swm setup since everything the website says the cinema connection is needed for, I already have?

#38 OFFLINE   Lugnut

Lugnut

AllStar

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:13 PM

I'm happy for you guys. Employees can't even get Genie as part of our annual upgrade yet. $199 plus $49 install. That didn't go over too well with the wife :(
"People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care" - John C. Maxwell

DIRECTV Employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV.

My Equipment:
2x HR-24-100
1x HR-22-100
2x H25-100

#39 OFFLINE   PeterB

PeterB

Legend

• Registered
  • 220 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:44 PM

Called to complain about my HR-21 taking over a minute to change channels, and an ancient Hughes Director receiver that kept locking up.

Was upgraded to Genie + 3 clients, Converted to SWM, DECA installed, swapped out The 21, The Hughes and a H20. Kept my H21 as well = $50

Been with DTV since '98, was out of contract.

#40 OFFLINE   chicagojim

chicagojim

Legend

• Registered
  • 227 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:05 PM

Now, mind you, I have not asked for a single thing free since the HR20-700 came out in 2006(?) and I got two then.

I called today and went right to rentention. Without even having to make a case, I was offered the 34, 4 client boxes, CCK, Swim 16, install and a couple of programming credits - all free.

First shot. No hassle, no haggle. I was prepared with a cross analysis of Dish, Comast and UVerse offers, ready to state my case about ROI over the next 12-18 months, show how they have competition in the Frankfort market, ready to rant about what I should have coming to me.

I didn't have to use any of it. The Rep only had to say, "We should replace all your equipment, and it will be no charge."

I was almost disappointed I couldn't use any of my well prepared rebid documentation! :lol:

Funny side note - the rep could not believe how old my equipment was. She almost "Scolded" me for not calling sooner to upgrade! She said that she gets calls all the time from customers who received upgrades just a couple of months ago and are back looking for freebies. That just does not work.

I've been a DTV customer for over 13 years and always pay on time. Other than that, I have the Premier level programming service and that is it.

I probably should have called a couple of years ago, but the HR20s were working fine with the exception of the occasional drive failure. The SD boxes were in the kid's rooms and were not worth an extension for upgrading.

Moral of the story: Wait for the upgrades until it is worth your while to extend. Being out of contract for almost five years I'm sure improved my odds of getting a free ride...
Go Cubs

New equipment after seven years . . .

HR34 to Sony KDS60A2000 , HR24 to 47" Vizio -
three C31s - Slimline 5 Dish - Swim 16 -CCK -
Networked via wireless & 1000BT, using Comcast – three switches, two routers Hotspot @ home and 4G Femto cell

spam firewall