Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Free Genie upgrade to new customers, when do existing ones get that?

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Lugnut

Lugnut

AllStar

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:33 PM

Now, mind you, I have not asked for a single thing free since the HR20-700 came out in 2006(?) and I got two then.

I called today and went right to rentention. Without even having to make a case, I was offered the 34, 4 client boxes, CCK, Swim 16, install and a couple of programming credits - all free.

First shot. No hassle, no haggle. I was prepared with a cross analysis of Dish, Comast and UVerse offers, ready to state my case about ROI over the next 12-18 months, show how they have competition in the Frankfort market, ready to rant about what I should have coming to me.

I didn't have to use any of it. The Rep only had to say, "We should replace all your equipment, and it will be no charge."

I was almost disappointed I couldn't use any of my well prepared rebid documentation! :lol:

Funny side note - the rep could not believe how old my equipment was. She almost "Scolded" me for not calling sooner to upgrade! She said that she gets calls all the time from customers who received upgrades just a couple of months ago and are back looking for freebies. That just does not work.

I've been a DTV customer for over 13 years and always pay on time. Other than that, I have the Premier level programming service and that is it.

I probably should have called a couple of years ago, but the HR20s were working fine with the exception of the occasional drive failure. The SD boxes were in the kid's rooms and were not worth an extension for upgrading.

Moral of the story: Wait for the upgrades until it is worth your while to extend. Being out of contract for almost five years I'm sure improved my odds of getting a free ride...

Awesome! Glad you got such a great deal! Do keep in mind that you won't be able to watch live programming on all 4 client boxes at the same time, though.
"People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care" - John C. Maxwell

DIRECTV Employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV.

My Equipment:
2x HR-24-100
1x HR-22-100
2x H25-100

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   chicagojim

chicagojim

Legend

• Registered
  • 228 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:41 AM

Awesome! Glad you got such a great deal! Do keep in mind that you won't be able to watch live programming on all 4 client boxes at the same time, though.

Kept one HR20 for that purpose and to provide some backup to recordings. That will go in the second most-used area so we won't have contention issues.

Thanks for the heads up though!
Go Cubs

New equipment after seven years . . .

HR34 to Sony KDS60A2000 , HR24 to 47" Vizio -
three C31s - Slimline 5 Dish - Swim 16 -CCK -
Networked via wireless & 1000BT, using Comcast – three switches, two routers Hotspot @ home and 4G Femto cell

#43 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,861 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:49 PM

Now, mind you, I have not asked for a single thing free since the HR20-700 came out in 2006(?) and I got two then.

I called today and went right to rentention. Without even having to make a case, I was offered the 34, 4 client boxes, CCK, Swim 16, install and a couple of programming credits - all free.

First shot. No hassle, no haggle. I was prepared with a cross analysis of Dish, Comast and UVerse offers, ready to state my case about ROI over the next 12-18 months, show how they have competition in the Frankfort market, ready to rant about what I should have coming to me.

I didn't have to use any of it. The Rep only had to say, "We should replace all your equipment, and it will be no charge."

I was almost disappointed I couldn't use any of my well prepared rebid documentation! :lol:

Funny side note - the rep could not believe how old my equipment was. She almost "Scolded" me for not calling sooner to upgrade! She said that she gets calls all the time from customers who received upgrades just a couple of months ago and are back looking for freebies. That just does not work.

I've been a DTV customer for over 13 years and always pay on time. Other than that, I have the Premier level programming service and that is it.

I probably should have called a couple of years ago, but the HR20s were working fine with the exception of the occasional drive failure. The SD boxes were in the kid's rooms and were not worth an extension for upgrading.

Moral of the story: Wait for the upgrades until it is worth your while to extend. Being out of contract for almost five years I'm sure improved my odds of getting a free ride...

Being out of contract means a lot.

Rich

#44 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,634 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 26 February 2013 - 01:00 PM

I had A Genie, one client, and a Cinema Connection Kit installed today for $49. The tech swapped out the AT9 for a SwiMline dish. I was off contract for 5 years. If I heard the CSR correctly, he said the $10 HD fee was also coming off the account.

#45 OFFLINE   rtring

rtring

• Registered
  • 2 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 10 May 2013 - 06:15 PM

Called up and said "cancel service" during the automated recording. I was then transfered to a nice lady who said I can work wonders. She gave me free upgrade to Genie with free installation. I only had to pay the $19.95 shipping charge. They are going to install May 19th.

Edited by rtring, 10 May 2013 - 06:16 PM.

#46 OFFLINE   Datagg

Datagg

Legend

• Registered
  • 247 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 10 May 2013 - 11:28 PM

Called up and said "cancel service" during the automated recording. I was then transfered to a nice lady who said I can work wonders. She gave me free upgrade to Genie with free installation. I only had to pay the $19.95 shipping charge. They are going to install May 19th.

Very good.It all depends on who you get and the mood they are in that day.... Regrettably for most it takes a threat to get any action. Hopefully one day they will treat current customers as well as they do the new.

#47 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 02:58 PM

Very good.It all depends on who you get and the mood they are in that day.... Regrettably for most it takes a threat to get any action. Hopefully one day they will treat current customers as well as they do the new.

Suspect it depends on how many time the customer has already been to the well of freebies and discounts in a specific period of time.  Had 0 problems getting a free genie, am21 and installation on my first call in 2 1/2 years looking for a hardware upgrade, have never called in for bill credits on discounts in all the years I have been with them.

#48 OFFLINE   NLRay

NLRay

• Registered
  • 3 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 16 May 2013 - 11:39 AM

Suspect it depends on how many time the customer has already been to the well of freebies and discounts in a specific period of time.  Had 0 problems getting a free genie, am21 and installation on my first call in 2 1/2 years looking for a hardware upgrade, have never called in for bill credits on discounts in all the years I have been with them.

I agree, I don't remember the last upgrade I requested.  Called up for Genie, and got offered Genie plus 3 clients for just a $50 install.  Didn't end up doing it because of some crazy install logistics, but I didn't have to threaten or even ask, it was all offered.

#49 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:35 PM

DirecTV is always trying to get me to upgrade to HD (and commit for another 2 years).  Sorry, no.

Every time I log into my account and check things out a big pop-up with a picture of a Genie appears along with the words "FREE UPGRADE!"  There is even an "upgrade" box to click!!

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#50 OFFLINE   Datagg

Datagg

Legend

• Registered
  • 247 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 18 May 2013 - 02:31 AM

In 1 year, 2 confirmed HR24 HD failures and they wanted me to stay with the 24.... I had to threaten cancelation before I got anywhere for my 34. if months on the phone with tech support, family getting pissed, 2 installers out to confirm bad units constitutes as harassment or a freebie then I guess I am just one of the many unlucky ones... Oh and my neighbor and bro who were even out of contract had to pull teeth to get a new unit...... Ill suspect some of your view wingrider01 may be correct, yet the problem isn't with the consumer, rather the inconsistency across the board with DTV and how they treat long time customers.

Edited by Datagg, 18 May 2013 - 02:32 AM.

#51 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,728 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 18 May 2013 - 08:43 PM

I think it all depends on what discounts and free upgrades you had in the past, also what bill credits you received also
Then I can see why they're hesitant on any more discounts, but it all depends on the account and payment history.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#52 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,728 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 18 May 2013 - 08:59 PM

Does anybody know is there a way for D* to send a tech to change to the SWM setup? (without sending a receiver box)as I currently have legacy Slimline Dish feeding two lines to each receiver except the H2x and D12 on Zinwell multiswitch WB6x8, As I would like to get a leased or owned Genie through retailer website either SS or eBay.

Directv HD DVR HR24-500

#53 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,079 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 18 May 2013 - 10:08 PM

Having them set up whole home DVR will do it, that requires SWM. However, they would install a SWM LNB, which is limited to 8 tuners.

#54 OFFLINE   JBv

JBv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 817 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 19 May 2013 - 01:59 PM

Does anybody know is there a way for D* to send a tech to change to the SWM setup? (without sending a receiver box)as I currently have legacy Slimline Dish feeding two lines to each receiver except the H2x and D12 on Zinwell multiswitch WB6x8, As I would like to get a leased or owned Genie through retailer website either SS or eBay.

Yeah, you would need to call in and tell them you need an additional receiver in your possession installed, and tell them it is a Genie (that is assuming all your other equipment is SWM compatible which it sounds like it is). You'll have to pay D* the $49 for it (it should be $49, but it may be more depending on your account), and since that would put you over 8 tuners it should automatically throw a SWiM16 on the work order. Then the technician would come out and install your Genie and do the SWiM upgrade for you.
You can also ask and see if any equipment is available at a discounted price, or DirecTV's quote on a Genie. At $349+shipping from Solid Signal + $49 for an install from DirecTV I find it hard to imagine DirecTV would quote you more than that.

Edited by JBv, 19 May 2013 - 02:02 PM.

DirecTV Employee
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DirecTV's positions, strategies, or opinions.

#55 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,728 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 19 May 2013 - 08:53 PM

If D* install the 44 and I want to replace the HR22 as I also have a HR24,H24 and D12, do I still need a SWiM 16?
As I think it will be 9 tuners. I also have another HR24(owned) but it's not activated yet.

Edited by acostapimps, 19 May 2013 - 08:55 PM.

Directv HD DVR HR24-500

#56 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,556 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 20 May 2013 - 01:03 AM

Yes, anything over 8 tuners and you must have a SWM-16. If you're trying to avoid having the installer run three more coaxes to your dish which is going to be part of the SWM-16 install you need to stay at or below 8 tuners. Maybe you could have them swap out the D12 for a Genie client?

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#57 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,728 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:13 PM

I just called to speak with retention dept and got a free upgrade with no install charge other than $20 charge, which it couldn't be any better as I always get quoted $299+49 everytime I called which was a CSR agent of course, so I hung up and did the cancel,cancel prompt and directed me to retention which is rare that it worked as I tried it before and always get reg CSR's, Now I'm debating rescheduling to see if they will carry the HR44 instead of the 34 unless they have it in stock and the tech brings it with him.

Directv HD DVR HR24-500

#58 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,398 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 29 May 2013 - 08:12 PM

I just called to speak with retention dept and got a free upgrade with no install charge other than $20 charge, which it couldn't be any better as I always get quoted $299+49 everytime I called which was a CSR agent of course, so I hung up and did the cancel,cancel prompt and directed me to retention which is rare that it worked as I tried it before and always get reg CSR's, Now I'm debating rescheduling to see if they will carry the HR44 instead of the 34 unless they have it in stock and the tech brings it with him.

and you know this.  The only way to find out is when the tech calls or is onsite.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#59 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,915 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 29 May 2013 - 08:29 PM

yeah, no other ways

#60 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,728 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 29 May 2013 - 10:39 PM

Yes I'm aware of that, as I hear good things about the HR44, not so much on the HR34, but then again is too soon to tell unless D mess it up with SW upgrades, but I'm willing to take that risk especially since its a free upgrade. But if the tech calls me and says he only got the 34 then I'm gonna reschedule and not waste his time and gas mileage for that.

Directv HD DVR HR24-500

Protected By... spam firewall...And...