Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Free Genie upgrade to new customers, when do existing ones get that?

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,859 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 29 May 2013 - 10:44 PM

Called up and said "cancel service" during the automated recording. I was then transfered to a nice lady who said I can work wonders. She gave me free upgrade to Genie with free installation. I only had to pay the $19.95 shipping charge. They are going to install May 19th.

I just read your post and the same thing happened to me :)

Edited by acostapimps, 29 May 2013 - 10:44 PM.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,859 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 29 May 2013 - 11:08 PM

As many people in this forum said talk to retention, if you talk to a CSR agent or even a supervisor it won't get you anywhere as they'll quote you what the CSR already said, just call and use the cancel cancel prompt in the automated system, and once you get through ask to speak to retention if you're not sure who answered the call, if they say you're talking with retention then explain your situation and say you were quoted the reg price of $299+49 and it seems expensive to you to upgrade, they may or may not credit you the $299 price or just quote you the install fee of $49, it all depends on your account history, and how much you got left in your contract, and or years of service and bill payment history, It doesn't hurt to try as I've been talking to Directv for months and always get the regular price which I didn't have any hope for at least a discount but never a free upgrade as I got, and I even have gotten another free upgrade before on the HD receiver last year in February.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#63 OFFLINE   MRM

MRM

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 96 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 06:25 AM

Without calling and asking, is there a way to find out how much more time you have left on a 2-year service agreement? My old DVR went out almost 2 years ago and I got a new one with the 2-year agreement. If I call retention, I really need to know if I'm out of my agreement.

#64 OFFLINE   johnp37

johnp37

Icon

• Registered
  • 537 posts
  • LocationCentral NJ

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:27 AM

Without calling and asking, is there a way to find out how much more time you have left on a 2-year service agreement? My old DVR went out almost 2 years ago and I got a new one with the 2-year agreement. If I call retention, I really need to know if I'm out of my agreement.

You can either call or e-mail. I also needed to know when I was out of agreement. I opted to e-mail and received my answer the same day. 

I pick things up and I put them down

#65 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,929 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 30 May 2013 - 11:59 AM

The point I was trying to make was... if 5-tuner DVR is same price (possibly zero) as a 2-tuner DVR and they allow just as many on an account... why would they bother having a 2-tuner model and why would a customer prefer it?

The only reason I can think of at the moment is the SWM limits but those are not hard limits.

Well, I'd call the SWM limit of 8 tuners a somewhat firm limit.  You need SWM-16 to go higher, and that is a not insignificant additional cost.  Not to mention LNB replacement for all those SWM LNB dishes out there.

The 2 tuners DVRs will be around for a while, I think.  They are a lot cheaper to build, and a bit more flexible in the field.  However, I do expect that the software will be feature stabilized.  I would expect that all new development efforts will go into the 5 tuner servers.  Hardware-wise, I think you'll a 2 tuner model with outboard power supply (like the HR44).  This will help lower manufacturing costs.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#66 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,806 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:17 PM

If they really wanted to, they could do a new rev of SWM that handled more than 8 tuners. Either by spacing the channels closer than 100 MHz apart, going a bit higher and/or lower on the MHz scale than the 975-1800 MHz range they currently utilize, or a combination of these.

Or do something more radical and put the tuners in the SWM module and have it deliver just the channel being tuned. They've already got 5 tuners on a chip as of a couple years ago when they introduced the HR34, so for the same cost they should be able to do 10 today, and if they wanted to do a bigger chip they could probably get to 12 or 16 without too much difficulty.

Then all they need to deliver down the coax (or cat5 - you probably wouldn't want to use coax unless it was already run to the location and cat5 wasn't) are the channels being delivered to all the attached receivers, as opposed to how SWM works now where an entire transponder's worth of channels are delivered for each SWM channel. At the very most, 16 channels totals only 250 Mbits/sec. That'll fit into the current DECA bandwidth, though they'd have an extra GHz of now vacant bandwidth available to play with if they wanted to give DECA more headroom and the ability to deliver 32 or more individual channels on a single coax. Outside of MDU environments, it is probably exceedingly rare for a single customer to have receivers/DVRs tuned to more than 32 unique channels at a time anyway.

This is all just wild speculation, they'll probably do something but I'm not saying it'll look anything like what I'm suggesting. I'll just say I'd be surprised if they plan on sticking with SWM as is forever. It was a big advance over the previous state of affairs, but the technology is something like 7 years old now. Getting the tuners out of the receiver would allow for the possibility of a TV that wouldn't need a receiver. Similar to RVU, only instead of talking to a Genie it'd talk to the SWM LNB/multiswitch. You'd only need one or (or two, for power users) Genie type boxes per account, everything else would either be a smart TV or a little box hopefully smaller than the current client that could stuck on the back of your TV, and ideally would be coax/cat5 powered so it wouldn't need a wall wart.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#67 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,992 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:43 PM

Nay, you can't do that ... transponder is the one atomic unit in term of RF; if you start splitting it you'll need convert it to MPEG-2 TS (transport stream) ... it's long story, but really you should look into how the DVB-S/S2 system working ... try this for start www.coolstf.com/mpeg ...

your idea will come to a point when whole DVR/receiver should reside at dish and it will had 1 Gb Ethernet cable down to your house with Gigabit switch, but it's exist as head-end for MDU

Edited by P Smith, 30 May 2013 - 10:48 PM.

#68 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,806 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 31 May 2013 - 02:46 AM

Nay, you can't do that ... transponder is the one atomic unit in term of RF; if you start splitting it you'll need convert it to MPEG-2 TS (transport stream) ... it's long story, but really you should look into how the DVB-S/S2 system working ... try this for start www.coolstf.com/mpeg ...

your idea will come to a point when whole DVR/receiver should reside at dish and it will had 1 Gb Ethernet cable down to your house with Gigabit switch, but it's exist as head-end for MDU

That's what I was talking about doing. A satellite tuner takes the RF transponder signal and produces the MPEG4 data stream for the channel you're watching, which is then further processed to produce the HDMI signal your TV expects. Nothing says the tuner has to be in the receiver, it could be located in the SWM LNB or multiswitch.

If instead of passing 8 transponders' worth of RF on a coax, you just pushed the MPEG4/MPEG2 streams for the individual channels you want, you could handle a lot more than the 8 'tuners' now possible. From a bandwidth standpoint, you'd have nearly unlimited tuners, though cost & need would put the limit a lot lower than "nearly unlimited" :)

The TV would either have to decode MPEG4 itself, or have a small external client type box that did that. The MPEG4 stream would need to be encrypted in some way, the authorization could be handled in the devices, or in the SWM (which would have the side benefit of insuring people don't have one account at multiple residences)

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#69 OFFLINE   johnp37

johnp37

Icon

• Registered
  • 537 posts
  • LocationCentral NJ

Posted 31 May 2013 - 06:47 AM

Let me say first off that I am reasonably intelligent and somewhat tech savvy. I install and set up all my own gear, make up my own coax. Long story short all this highly technical discussion is frying my brain. We are not talking about how a supercollider works. Bottom line it is ONLY TV!!  Moderators, Please, set up a separate  forum for these highly technical discussions.    Besides, these last few posts have NOTHING to do with the original topic -Free Genie upgrade,when do existing subcribers get that? 

I pick things up and I put them down

#70 OFFLINE   Phil17108

Phil17108

Mentor

• Registered
  • 85 posts
  • LocationOrange County California

Posted 31 May 2013 - 09:48 AM

I got a free upgrade from DTV today of 1 Genie and 2 mini Genies. I went to the website today and found that because I have the protection plan I could get an upgrade, added genie to basket and was told to call. Did and ask how much for a genie and was told FREE, just had to reup on the 2 year term. I have been with them from mid 90's and have not paid for a thing after the first 2 tivo's and a hr20 700 that was so cheap it should be called free. :biggthump

#71 OFFLINE   Crow159

Crow159

Godfather

• Registered
  • 447 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 11:03 AM

Just talked to Directv. My CSR was qiute generous.

Spoke to a regular CSR and asked when my commitment was up. She told me that I'd have to talk to retention to get that information. The Retention CSR told me July and asked why I wanted the date. I was completely honest and told her that I was thinking about doing some research to see what else was available in my area.

After we talked for a little while, she was a very knowledgable about what other companies had available, we ended our conversation by setting up an appointment for June 8th to install my Genie and Genie-go, all FREE! I couldn't care less if it's a HR34 or a HR44, either will be an upgrade over my HR21 in the basement.

Slimline 3 dish with a SWM-16
HR34-700 with Deca MRV

HR24-100 with Deca MRV
HR21-100 with Deca MRV
HR21-700 with Deca MRV

#72 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,992 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 31 May 2013 - 11:15 AM

The MPEG4 stream would need to be encrypted in some way, the authorization could be handled in the devices, or in the SWM (which would have the side benefit of insuring people don't have one account at multiple residences)

Ah, OK.

Just last note (or we will fry someone brain :) ) - it's already encrypted. All pieces for decoding/decrypting/authorization/etc are in the TS stream. No worry ;).

#73 OFFLINE   MRM

MRM

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 96 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 02:56 PM

I found out I have until September before my 2-year is up. The wait continues...

Protected By... spam firewall...And...