Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Feature Request for DishAnywhere/Sling

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   LtMunst

LtMunst

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:55 PM

There should be a setting in the mobile Dish Anywhere app to keep the app open/audio playing when the screen is shut off. I use my Iphone as a radio at work and would like to use the app to sling local news from my Hopper. I would rather not have a video playing at my desk, but if I switch the phone to standby/screen off, the app closes.

An sling audio only setting would be nice also to save bandwidth listening to a station in the car.

Edited by LtMunst, 11 February 2013 - 01:05 PM.

Hopper, Hopper w/Sling, Joey x2

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,863 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:55 PM

The actual sling app used to do exactly that. It doesn't either anymore. I would listen to parts ball games that way when out of town. Much less internet usage.

#3 OFFLINE   Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser

Hall Of Fame

• Super Moderators
  • 3,053 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:16 PM

I don't have my phone in front of me but I thought there was an audio only option in the new Dish Anywhere App. I think it's where you click on the 'Quality' of the streaming. It's at the top of the screen and I think defaults to SQ. If you click on that I think you get a list of of SQ - Standard Quality, HQ - High Quality, or Audio Only.

The downside though is you still can't turn off the screen, that will kill the streaming. The plus side is that you conserve bandwidth.

Edited by Rob Glasser, 13 February 2013 - 06:11 PM.

Rob

DISH Hopper, Hopper w/Sling, & Joey User

#4 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:00 PM

I don't have my phone in front of me but I thought there was an audio only option in the new Dish Anywhere App. I think it's where you click on the 'Quality' of the streaming. It's at the top of the screen and I think defaults to SQ. If you click on that I think you get a list of of SQ - Standard Quality, HQ - High Quality, or Audio Only.

The downside though is you still can't turn off the screen, that will kill the streaming. The plus side is that you converse bandwidth.

The options are ...

1. Show Control Bar on Connection
2. Enable Channge Up Down
3. Enable Recent Gestures
4. Enable Low Bandwith message
5. Video Quality.

I do not see any audio only option.

#5 OFFLINE   Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser

Hall Of Fame

• Super Moderators
  • 3,053 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:08 PM

What client are you using, I'm using the Android app. Also I wasn't clear in my previous post, I'm talking about when you are actively streaming in the app and you have the screen overlay on where you can use trick modes. In the android app there are a few options at the top of the screen, one of which lets you change the quality, it's in there I've seen audio only, not in the settings for the app itself.
Rob

DISH Hopper, Hopper w/Sling, & Joey User

#6 OFFLINE   LtMunst

LtMunst

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:27 AM

The downside though is you still can't turn off the screen, that will kill the streaming. The plus side is that you conserve bandwidth.

Wow..good catch. I am trying it out now. It's streaming audio at 32Kbps. It even works in background! Perfect! :) Using Iphone client. It would look better if there was a nice Dish Logo instead of the Audio Only Mode text locked in Landscape....but I'm being picky. :D

Edited by LtMunst, 14 February 2013 - 08:41 AM.

#7 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:22 AM

What client are you using, I'm using the Android app. Also I wasn't clear in my previous post, I'm talking about when you are actively streaming in the app and you have the screen overlay on where you can use trick modes. In the android app there are a few options at the top of the screen, one of which lets you change the quality, it's in there I've seen audio only, not in the settings for the app itself.

I was using android but wasn't streaming at the time. I see the option now.

#8 OFFLINE   LtMunst

LtMunst

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:44 PM

Ok...looks like the audio mode is only available on the Hopper w/Sling. The Audio Only option is not presented on a regular Hopper with Sling adapter...not on the Iphone client anyway. I wonder if there is a hardware reason for this or if it's just a software oversight.

Edited by LtMunst, 14 February 2013 - 03:55 PM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...