Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

NBCU rebranding G4 as Esquire Network in April

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mhking

mhking

Icon

• Registered
  • 545 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:03 PM

NBCU and Esquire announced today that the G4 channel would be rebranded and repositioned in late April as the Esquire Network.

http://www.adweek.co...v-launch-147199

According to a joint release, the new network will be positioned as a Bravo geared toward men. Original content includes Knife Fight, a cooking show between young chefs, and The Getaway featuring the globe-trotting Anthony Bourdain. Rerun fare will include Parks & Recreation (NBC) and Party Down (Starz). The release also says the fifth season of American Ninja Warrior will air on the new network and on NBC this summer.
Wish list of channels for D*: C-Span 3; BBC World News; Sky News International; CBC Newsworld; France24; EuroNews; Eurosportnews; Setanta Sports News; ABC News 24 (Australia); Australia Network (soon to be ABC Asia Pacific); Al Jazeera English; Russia Today; NHK World; DW-TV -- Heck, how about an entire English-language international tier so I don't have to keep switching to my Roku?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,372 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:20 PM

I wonder what they had to pay the Hearst Corporation for the Esquire brand and will it bring them many of the magazine's 0.7 million readers?

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#3 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:23 PM

The article is kinda funny. The network guy makes it clear he has zero interest in anything related to the magazine. He just bought the name and that's it. The channel will be full of male-skewing reality shows, sorta like Spike.
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#4 OFFLINE   russ9

russ9

Godfather

• Registered
  • 385 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:21 PM

Gee, they could have saved money and just change it to GQ.
Dishing it up since 4-4-1997
vip722K hooked up to a bunch of stuff. Like a bigger TV.

Soon to be on Dish network, explained by a BBC spokesman

#5 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,530 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:11 PM

You mean they would have saved money by keeping the G and trading the 4 for a Q?. Funny.
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#6 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,188 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:20 AM

I wonder if "The Getaway" will just be more of Bourdain's eating and drinking habits. I saw some of his shows that concentrated less on the food and more on the locale of wherever he was and I really liked those episodes.

#7 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,451 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:22 AM

Rerun fare will include Parks & Recreation (NBC)...

But only the scenes Ron Swanson is in, I would have to guess, based on the targeted demographics of the network.
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

#8 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,093 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:10 PM

NBCU and Esquire announced today that the G4 channel would be rebranded and repositioned in late April as the Esquire Network.

http://www.adweek.co...v-launch-147199

According to a joint release, the new network will be positioned as a Bravo geared toward men. Original content includes Knife Fight, a cooking show between young chefs, and The Getaway featuring the globe-trotting Anthony Bourdain. Rerun fare will include Parks & Recreation (NBC) and Party Down (Starz). The release also says the fifth season of American Ninja Warrior will air on the new network and on NBC this summer.

In four years reality shows will be popping up. It never fails!

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#9 ONLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,836 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:32 PM

Another 'who cares!'

Was it ten years ago, it was a tech channel?

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#10 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,237 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:34 PM

That men have gone from fighting with knives to cooking with knives is indicative
of the decline and fall of the male persona in western civilization. Sadly, male machismo
has been replaced with mashed potatoes; manly pot bellies with mother's pot roast.

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#11 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,530 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:00 PM

That men have gone from fighting with knives to cooking with knives is indicative
of the decline and fall of the male persona in western civilization. Sadly, male machismo
has been replaced with mashed potatoes; manly pot bellies with mother's pot roast.

Nick, out there gettin' it done! Interesting commentary.

So, pot bellies are manly? I should just let myself go. :)
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#12 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:04 PM

...what?
DTV = Digital Television

#13 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,530 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:13 PM

Another 'who cares!'

Was it ten years ago, it was a tech channel?

There were certainly tech shows on it, including The Screen Savers and Call For Help. At the time they were geek shows for a niche audience. Still pretty niche, but now that kids want to grow up to be Steve Jobs instead of Barry Bonds, maybe it would have had a better shot.

TSS morphed into a gaming show Attack of the Show about 2006 or so (good luck having success with a name that lame) which closed shop just last month. The Newsroom principal actress Olivia Munn was on that for a time. But when G4 cancelled out Leo and Sarah, I cancelled G4, and have no earthly idea how to even find it on my DVR. You could pay me a thousand bucks and I couldn't even tell you what group of "hundreds" that channel is in. Won't change with the rebranding, either.

But Leo Laporte and TSS cutie cohort Sarah Lane are alive and well doing the same thing only better over at twit.com. Leo has created a successful video podcast network of 30-some shows a week. Somehow I do not expect the gaming aspect of G4 to be able to rise from the ashes in the same manner.

#14 OFFLINE   donalddickerson2005

donalddickerson2005

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:34 PM

Nick, out there gettin' it done! Interesting commentary.

So, pot bellies are manly? I should just let myself go. :)

He was making the point that we are getting to be lazy and if we watched more fighting shows we might go to the GYM a day or 2 a week.

#15 OFFLINE   mike1977

mike1977

Legend

• Registered
  • 210 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:55 PM

It doesn't matter what channel is geared toward what today...BECAUSE THEY'LL SHOW ANYTHING ON ANY CHANNEL. They all don't care if a show doesn't fit.

#16 OFFLINE   litex2x

litex2x

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:07 AM

Hopefully D* will try to pick it up for cheap now.

#17 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,093 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:48 AM

The article is kinda funny. The network guy makes it clear he has zero interest in anything related to the magazine. He just bought the name and that's it. The channel will be full of male-skewing reality shows, sorta like Spike.

And MavTV.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

#18 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,093 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:05 PM

There were certainly tech shows on it, including The Screen Savers and Call For Help. At the time they were geek shows for a niche audience. Still pretty niche, but now that kids want to grow up to be Steve Jobs instead of Barry Bonds, maybe it would have had a better shot.

TSS morphed into a gaming show Attack of the Show about 2006 or so (good luck having success with a name that lame) which closed shop just last month. The Newsroom principal actress Olivia Munn was on that for a time. But when G4 cancelled out Leo and Sarah, I cancelled G4, and have no earthly idea how to even find it on my DVR. You could pay me a thousand bucks and I couldn't even tell you what group of "hundreds" that channel is in. Won't change with the rebranding, either.

But Leo Laporte and TSS cutie cohort Sarah Lane are alive and well doing the same thing only better over at twit.com. Leo has created a successful video podcast network of 30-some shows a week. Somehow I do not expect the gaming aspect of G4 to be able to rise from the ashes in the same manner.

Plus Leo also a live national Radio on weekends about tech.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

spam firewall