Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Is direct DNS input to 722 possible?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   GGA

GGA

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:14 PM

I redid my network over the weekend in order to use Google DNS.

The easiest way would be to change the DNS in router/modem, but apparently my Verizon Fios router will overwrite the Google DNS with their own DNS. However, you can set the Fios router to Disable DNS, which is what I did.

This required that I individually set each computer and component in the network to Google DNS. My Sony S790 BD allowed to do this and it works fine.

However, it looks like the 722 reads the router for DNS. I don't know why but the 722 reads 192.168.1.1 for both the DNS and IP. I cannot connect to the internet and resets and powering off have no effect.

Any ideas on how I can get the 722 to read the Google DNS of 8.8.8.8? Would a dedicated router just for the 722 solve the problem?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,746 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:17 PM

switch your 722 network settings from DHCP to manual and you must provide IP/SM/GW manually

#3 OFFLINE   GGA

GGA

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:43 PM

I looked around for a place to engage manual settings but I could not find one.

Any clues as to what part of the menu that might be in???

Thank you.

#4 OFFLINE   GGA

GGA

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:53 AM

switch your 722 network settings from DHCP to manual and you must provide IP/SM/GW manually

I have not found anywhere this can be done and I do not think it is possible to manually enter IP/SM/GW.

#5 OFFLINE   n0qcu

n0qcu

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:13 AM

All DISH receiver are DHCP only, you cannot enter any info in the receiver manually. I really wish they would and the option for those of us that know what we are doing and prefer manual entry.

Sent from my iPad.
Kevin

3 Hoppers
3 Joeys, all wireless
1 Hopper 2.0
YES, all Hoppers can see the recordings on any Hopper.

#6 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,746 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:10 PM

damn ... to many device in the household ... it's adding to that memory's mess while updating/upgrading/setting ... old models, new models ...

#7 OFFLINE   rkelzenberg

rkelzenberg

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:57 AM

You should be able ton set the DNS address for google in your router and it will translate from your internal ip range.

#8 OFFLINE   jsk

jsk

Icon

• Registered
  • 719 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 11:36 PM

I don't really see how Google DNS would benefit your 722 since it probably has few DNS lookups. However, if you want to do this, you would have to insert another DHCP server between Verizon's router and the 722. Probably the easiest way to do that is to plug another router into Verizon's router and plug the 722 into that. Then update the DNS in that router to the Google DNS and anything connecting to that router will get the Google DNS.
Dish Player DVR 722K with OTA module connected to the Eastern Arc

#9 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,746 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:21 AM

You should be able ton set the DNS address for google in your router and it will translate from your internal ip range.

DNS have no knowledge about your personal non-routeble internal IP addresses !!!

spam firewall