Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Some hidden new fees

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
306 replies to this topic

#221 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:03 AM

No I wouldn't.

Just like I wouldn't give you it either even if you showed me ID.

If scott or rad wanted it I would give it.

What's the difference in giving it to Scott/RAD or either one of them confirming that SatelliteRacer is a D* employee?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#222 OFFLINE   pdxBeav

pdxBeav

Godfather

• Registered
  • 411 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:29 AM

What does that have to do with anything?, My refer a friend is my sister, for one, also refer a FRIEND. ;)

So again if you want to use people you don't know for a refer a friend be my guest. Thats on you not me.

Just curious if you've ever given your credit card to a waiter/waitress at a restaurant?

#223 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,858 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:37 AM

Ok, one last chance to move on.

:backtotop

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#224 OFFLINE   Tekneek

Tekneek

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:29 PM

The real downside to this is that subscribers cannot simply drop the RSNs in their market and then not pay the fee. They must choose a package that will drop additional channels beyond the troublesome RSNs.

In a way, I am glad that this is happening. It further proves that asking everyone to subsidize the ever-growing expense of sports programming is unsustainable and will hasten the death of the "package/bundle" of channels.

#225 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,510 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:47 PM

I wonder what the backlash would be like if DirecTV instituted a "high priced locals" fee. Charge an extra $2 in any market that had more than six local channels. After all it is expensive to create and maintain spotbeams for local channels and people in those markets are using more space on the satellite than people in markets with less stations. Plus with retransmission consent, DirecTV may be paying more per station in a larger market than they do in a small market. (Not having WABC due to a contract dispute would be a bad thing.)

People want the option of dumping RSNs to save the fees ... how about dumping locals to save the fees?

#226 OFFLINE   Tekneek

Tekneek

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:37 PM

People want the option of dumping RSNs to save the fees ... how about dumping locals to save the fees?

Back when I became a DirecTV subscriber, it was a choice to have locals or not. It wasn't required. Is it required now?

#227 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 988 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:11 PM

SR got back to me and gave me a date when their notice was sent. I did get my emailed bill that day and there is a link in the email to the new pricing list that contains the rsn fee. In that respect I was properly notified, but since there was no notice in the email itself, I don't think that is the way it should have been handled. There should have been an email with a specific notice about the rsn fee, or at least a specific notice on the bill, not just a link.

#228 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:16 PM

Notified :)
DTV = Digital Television

#229 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:18 PM

SR got back to me and gave me a date when their notice was sent. I did get my emailed bill that day and there is a link in the email to the new pricing list that contains the rsn fee. In that respect I was properly notified, but since there was no notice in the email itself, I don't think that is the way it should have been handled. There should have been an email with a specific notice about the rsn fee, or at least a specific notice on the bill, not just a link.

How is the link listed? Des it say something like "new pricing"?

Edit: Here's how I see it listed, "Effective 2/7/13, new pricing will be applied to DIRECTV programming packages and services. Click here for more complete details."

Edited by Justin23, 19 February 2013 - 07:25 PM.

#230 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 988 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:33 PM

How is the link listed? Des it say something like "new pricing"?

Edit: Here's how I see it listed, "Effective 2/7/13, new pricing will be applied to DIRECTV programming packages and services. Click here for more complete details."

Yes, that is what it says. Like I said, it probably technically qualifies as being notified, but I think it should have actually said in the email that there will be an increase in the rsn fee. I shouldn't have to click on a link to find that information. I see there are already some that are gleeful. What a surprise.

#231 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,904 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:36 PM

Yes, that is what it says. Like I said, it probably technically qualifies as being notified, but I think it should have actually said in the email that there will be an increase in the rsn fee. I shouldn't have to click on a link to find that information. I see there are already some that are gleeful. What a surprise.

Personally, not gleeful but I appreciate you updating us.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#232 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:36 PM

I'm not gleeful...but I think they kept it general in the description because some customers wouldn't care about the RSN fee. Maybe some would care more about the DVR fee or package increase? By leaving it worded as they did it could cover all customers, not just those that care or were affected by the RSN fee. Just my .02

#233 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,249 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:06 PM

As to locals, I believe you can still ask to have them removed for a savings--but I might be wrong on that. I've never tried to drop locals.

Peace,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#234 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,665 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:26 PM

It used to be it was a separate email. I looked, and in December 2010, I got an email specifically about price changes.

#235 OFFLINE   pdxBeav

pdxBeav

Godfather

• Registered
  • 411 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:20 PM

Sounds like a piss poor way to notify you. But did you really expect them to be more upfront about it?

#236 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:34 PM

Sounds like a piss poor way to notify you. But did you really expect them to be more upfront about it?

How is putting the notice on the one DIRECTV document people read & pay attention to the most (monthly bill) a bad thing?

#237 OFFLINE   pdxBeav

pdxBeav

Godfather

• Registered
  • 411 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:40 PM

Should have been highlighted in red in the main email without having to click on a link. Very simple to do. But I understand why they did it that way.

#238 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:47 PM

Should have been highlighted in red in the main email without having to click on a link. Very simple to do. But I understand why they did it that way.

Remember that SR said not all customers were notified the same way. Different laws in certain states...paperless billing, etc.

#239 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,510 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:50 PM

How is putting the notice on the one DIRECTV document people read & pay attention to the most (monthly bill) a bad thing?

People read & pay attention to their bills? Or do they just look at the total and as long as it has not changed that is as far as they go?

Quite frankly I believe that there are a lot more people who don't look at the bill until the total changes than "read and pay attention". I don't know how you reach those people. Big flashy bill inserts that says "your price is going up $x" in February? Special emails that could still be passed over as some promotion or spam?

I believe DirecTV has done their best to reach people ... but despite their best efforts and the promise that everyone was sent a notice getting everyone to receive a notice and understand it will always be a challenge. The best solution is to keep the price increases small. That way, even if people are ticked when they notice their price increase it is easier to accept the actual increase.

#240 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 988 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:50 PM

Like pdxBeav said, they didn't put a notice in the email. They put a link to the notice. Maybe that is good enough legally, but I think the notice really should have been in the body of the email.

spam firewall