Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Some hidden new fees

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
306 replies to this topic

#241 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:09 PM

Like pdxBeav said, they didn't put a notice in the email. They put a link to the notice. Maybe that is good enough legally, but I think the notice really should have been in the body of the email.

In your case, the notification was on the bill: "Effective 2/7/13, new pricing will be applied to DIRECTV programming packages and services"

The details of the changes were: "Click here for more complete details."

You wanted all of the pricing changes to be listed on the bill?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#242 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:11 PM

People read & pay attention to their bills? Or do they just look at the total and as long as it has not changed that is as far as they go?

Oh I know most don't read their bills. But I do believe out of all the documents/letters D* sends to their customers, the bill is the one read in detail the most.

#243 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,255 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:13 PM

Let's face it, unless everyone is contacted by a human being, there will be some who miss the message. No matter how blatantly the message is placed.

And there will be some who complain. It happens.

Peace,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#244 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:16 PM

Let's face it, unless everyone is contacted by a human being, there will be some who miss the message. No matter how blatantly the message is placed.

And there will be some who complain. It happens.

Peace,
Tom

+1

#245 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,255 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:17 PM

And I should say this also: at DBStalk, everyone has the opportunity to vent, rant, and rage from time to time. :)

We understand that happens too. :)

Peace,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#246 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:23 PM

Like pdxBeav said, they didn't put a notice in the email. They put a link to the notice. Maybe that is good enough legally, but I think the notice really should have been in the body of the email.

It's a general document...there has to be 100's of different versions or permutations which is why the document links to the specific price changes. One person that has Entertainment and no DVR, no price increase. Another person with Entertainment and a DVR, price increase. Another person with Choice and no DVR but lives in a RSN area, different price increase than one with CHOICE with a DVR but not in a RSN area, so on and so forth. You would have so many different letters plus if a customer changed their package between the time the letter was sent and before it was received, you have another issue.

So instead, they keep it general and funnel everyone to the all the changes on document.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#247 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:25 PM

Yes, that is what it says. Like I said, it probably technically qualifies as being notified, but I think it should have actually said in the email that there will be an increase in the rsn fee. I shouldn't have to click on a link to find that information. I see there are already some that are gleeful. What a surprise.

Stude...thanks for being open about this. Appreciate it. Yes, the letter and email talk about the reasons for the price increase and get into a number of other things but specific pricing information is all in the insert \ website equivalent PDF that has been shown here at DBS Talk a number of times. Both the letter and email say for complete details see the enclosed (bill insert) or links to it in the case of the email for all the details. All pricing details are found on that document for anything that receives an increase.

So everyone can see, the link below is what the the letter looks like. The email version is identical except the border treatments are a little different, but the copy content is the exact same thing with the exception of one line difference...the last sentence in paragraph 4. Instead of saying "the enclosed insert includes complete details on programming pricing" (in the letter version), the email says "Click here for more complete details" (since it's impossible to "enclose" the bill insert into an email). The hyperlink links to the same bill insert in PDF format for those customers. That's the only change between letter and email. I believe the subject line for the email is something like IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR DIRECTV ACCOUNT or something to the effect. On the letter, the outside of the envelope says something very similar.

Hope that helps. Stude was very cool on this and I appreciate it. As mentioned prior, D* takes this stuff seriously and must inform every customer of any pricing changes.

http://i47.tinypic.com/20jicep.jpg
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#248 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:25 PM

It's a general document...there has to be 100's of different versions or permutations which is why the document links to the specific price changes. One person that has Entertainment and no DVR, no price increase. Another person with Entertainment and a DVR, price increase. Another person with Choice and no DVR but lives in a RSN area, different price increase than one with CHOICE with a DVR but not in a RSN area, so on and so forth. You would have so many different letters plus if a customer changed their package between the time the letter was sent and before it was received, you have another issue.

So instead, they keep it general and funnel everyone to the all the changes on document.

Which makes perfect and reasonable sense.
DTV = Digital Television

#249 OFFLINE   pdxBeav

pdxBeav

Godfather

• Registered
  • 419 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:35 PM

It's not difficult to send out customized emails. It's actually very trivial. They did the minimum required which is to be expected. People shouldn't get too worked up over it.

#250 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:39 PM

That's true, but then again, everybody's bill is different, too. You don't send an email with a link to the monthly charges, they appear in the email. The new rsn charge could easily have appeared in the body of the email. It didn't, and that's just the way it is. No big deal really.

#251 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:52 AM

I wonder what the backlash would be like if DirecTV instituted a "high priced locals" fee. Charge an extra $2 in any market that had more than six local channels. After all it is expensive to create and maintain spotbeams for local channels and people in those markets are using more space on the satellite than people in markets with less stations. Plus with retransmission consent, DirecTV may be paying more per station in a larger market than they do in a small market. (Not having WABC due to a contract dispute would be a bad thing.)

People want the option of dumping RSNs to save the fees ... how about dumping locals to save the fees?

thought you could already do that

#252 OFFLINE   Tekneek

Tekneek

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:54 AM

Sounds like they did a less than ideal job of notifying, but that is (unfortunately) to be expected. DirecTV is just a cable company in the sky and engages in many of the same business practices. They hope you just keep paying every month without noticing that anything has changed. Making the notification real obvious would probably upset more people when some will pay the extra few dollars without ever noticing at all.

#253 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:58 AM

Sounds like they did a less than ideal job of notifying, but that is (unfortunately) to be expected. DirecTV is just a cable company in the sky and engages in many of the same business practices. They hope you just keep paying every month without noticing that anything has changed. Making the notification real obvious would probably upset more people when some will pay the extra few dollars without ever noticing at all.

funny it seems like this is the same for every electronic bill that I receive - my last months electric bill had a line - "Price increase effective 02/01/2013 - details here", same with the water bill, the gas bill and almost every bill I get electronicly. It comes down to personal responsiblity - if you don't review the bills monthly, and just blinldy pay them the surprises are your bad.

Maybe the link should have been formated like this

"Effective 2/7/13, new pricing will be applied to DIRECTV programming packages and services. Click here for more complete details

#254 OFFLINE   curbside

curbside

AllStar

• DBSTalk Club
  • 103 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:16 PM

I reviewed my bill for February and found a new $2 charge for Regional Sports Networks. I called DirecTV to complain about not being notified and told them I didn't want the regional sports networks anyways but they said it couldn't be removed. I told them I would downgrade my package and they said I would lose my $10 credit for HD for life. You can't win here. When I asked the CSR how much longer I had a commitment to DirecTV she transferred me to another department. I told the new CSR my story and he couldn't find where DirecTV notified me about the new charge. Alex, the CSR, also said this was a mandated fee from the FCC but he would credit me the $2 for one year. Oh well, better in my pocket.
DirecTV since June 1996
HR24-500, HR24-200, 2 x H24-700 with WHDVR

#255 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,281 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:58 PM

Are you sure the email for your January bill didn't have language in it about the new pricing?

#256 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,073 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 06:38 PM

Alex, the CSR, also said this was a mandated fee from the FCC ...

:nono2:

Nice to see that you got a credit.

#257 OFFLINE   curbside

curbside

AllStar

• DBSTalk Club
  • 103 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:52 PM

Are you sure the email for your January bill didn't have language in it about the new pricing?

I look at my bill online. I didn't see anything.
DirecTV since June 1996
HR24-500, HR24-200, 2 x H24-700 with WHDVR

#258 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:21 PM

I look at my bill online. I didn't see anything.

Check your December bill, too. My January bill has a link in it to the new charges.

#259 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,282 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:54 PM

258 messages about a $2 or $3 surcharge. Wow!

Life is too short, guys!
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#260 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:23 PM

258 messages about a $2 or $3 surcharge. Wow!

Life is too short, guys!

for me it's not about the $2 or $3. It's about the way I was notified.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...