Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Some hidden new fees

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
306 replies to this topic

#261 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,954 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:25 PM

Are you sure the email for your January bill didn't have language in it about the new pricing?

I've had the RSN fee on my bill for a year now. I don't remember being notified but I remember it showing up last February.

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#262 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:11 PM

everyone bitches if their viewing pleasure isn't available..yet they dont want to pay for it....hmmmmm.......This is pay tv peeps....if you dont wanna pay for it then cut the cord!
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#263 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:41 AM

everyone bitches if their viewing pleasure isn't available..yet they dont want to pay for it....hmmmmm.......

If $178 per month isn't paying for then , maybe you should tell me what is.

I don't even have the Top Package either.

So don't tell me people don't already as you claim "Want to pay for it"

My Directv bill is Higher then my Electric bill, Property Taxes, Car insurance per month.

I took an $11 dollar increase. And for what?

Blue Ridge Communticatons

HD Basic Plus, HBO, Cinemax,Starz /Encore

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Livingroom Samsung 6030,55 inch

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 inch

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4

Basic Plus analog Bedroom 5 and 6

G15 Internet

#264 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,954 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:55 AM

everyone bitches if their viewing pleasure isn't available..yet they dont want to pay for it....hmmmmm.......This is pay tv peeps....if you dont wanna pay for it then cut the cord!

It's a discussion. There's no need to attack those in the discussion.

For everyone, you don't have to read the thread if it is just gonna make you mad.

Keep it civil people and remember, discuss the topic and not other members.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#265 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:23 AM

If $178 per month isn't paying for then , maybe you should tell me what is.

I don't even have the Top Package either.

So don't tell me people don't already as you claim "Want to pay for it"

My Directv bill is Higher then my Electric bill, Property Taxes, Car insurance per month.

I took an $11 dollar increase. And for what?

Higher than your property taxes? Higher than your electric bill? I need to move to Pennsylvania. :)

Just a question, when your Car Insurance bill goes up, do you get more protection? When your electric bill goes up do you get more electricity or better electricity? Etc? Usually bills go up because the source costs to provide those services go up. No different for television, electricity, etc. Programming costs go up, so rates go up.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#266 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,298 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:39 AM

Higher than your property taxes? Higher than your electric bill? I need to move to Pennsylvania. :)

My electric bill is still smaller than the $178 stated ... but my property taxes are under $900 per year - which is a low bar if one wants other bills to be lower ($75 per month).

But I get his point. When one is looking at their bills picking off the highest ones and asking how do I get this one to be lower is valid.

Just a question, when your Car Insurance bill goes up, do you get more protection? When your electric bill goes up do you get more electricity or better electricity? Etc?

Features can be added to car insurance when the rates go up. Perhaps the company adds "Accident Forgiveness" or "Vanishing Deductible" or some other feature that costs less than the increase. Electric companies can improve service - which is not normally seen unless there is an outage or frequent brown outs. The improvements are hidden.

Usually bills go up because the source costs to provide those services go up. No different for television, electricity, etc. Programming costs go up, so rates go up.

With the DirecTV press releases and rate increase notices touting all the new stuff DirecTV is offering (and BTW here are our new rates) it would seem that DirecTV's problem is with added features ... including things added that their customers might not want to pay for ... along with the standard "cost of what you already have" rate increases.

While customers are technically not forced to pay for their RSNs the alternative has been made undesirable ... limiting the subscriber to a package that does not include valuable entertainment options. Customers can't get the Cooking Channel or IFC without paying for RSNs - or DIY, Biography, H2, Nat Geo Wild, Destination America, WGN, Fox Business and other channels. All are off the table unless the customer pays for their RSNs.

So customers have to suck it up, pay for RSNs and pay the additional RSN fee (in select markets) just to get those non-sports entertainment channels. Not exactly a "choice".

#267 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,439 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:59 AM

I've been trying to convince my wife to move to PA for years for just those reasons. But, PA has begun to raise property taxes along the Delaware River so that they're more in line with NJ property taxes.

We pay over $200 a month for D* service and that's one of our lower bills.

Rich

#268 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:03 PM

Just a question, when your Car Insurance bill goes up, do you get more protection? When your electric bill goes up do you get more electricity or better electricity? Etc? Usually bills go up because the source costs to provide those services go up. No different for television, electricity, etc. Programming costs go up, so rates go up.

My car insurance went from $1600 a year down to $1200 a year with Geico, I haven't had an increase in about 9 years.
And yes I have more insurance now then I did 5 years ago. And More expensive cars as well!

If you guys have constant car insurance increases, Maybe you should learn how to drive, or spend some time away from DBS talk and Directv and shop around a little.

Electric bill goes up and down , 2 years ago it was .10 and now it .755 per KLWH. So has my bill increased sure but it has also dropped. And its due for another drop as of March down to .725.

Edited by damondlt, 23 February 2013 - 12:17 PM.

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

G15 Internet

#269 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:10 PM

I've been trying to convince my wife to move to PA for years for just those reasons. But, PA has begun to raise property taxes along the Delaware River so that they're more in line with NJ property taxes.

We pay over $200 a month for D* service and that's one of our lower bills.

Rich

If you move to PA School Tax is the Killer.

We have one property in Wayne County where I live with 10 acres and I pay About $500 per year in property taxes but school tax is $2800. This is not bad!

Now my rental houses in Monroe County 1 acre each are $1300 Each on Property Taxes, and $5200 each on School taxes. So depending on where you choose in Pa makes a big difference.

But we do Have electric choice too, which allows you to choose your own Generation company which can save you a few extra dollars on your power.

Edited by damondlt, 23 February 2013 - 12:18 PM.

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

G15 Internet

#270 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:16 PM

When your electric bill goes up do you get more electricity .

UM yes, since its based on what you use.

It also heats my hot water, washes and drys my clothes, Powers my lights, Computers and TV. And don't forget most of all Powers My HR34,HR23, 2 H25's and Swim 16.

Maybe I can send Directv a Bill for the power their equipment uses.:eek2:

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

G15 Internet

#271 OFFLINE   HinterXGames

HinterXGames

Godfather

• Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:31 PM

My electric bill is still smaller than the $178 stated ... but my property taxes are under $900 per year - which is a low bar if one wants other bills to be lower ($75 per month).

But I get his point. When one is looking at their bills picking off the highest ones and asking how do I get this one to be lower is valid.

Features can be added to car insurance when the rates go up. Perhaps the company adds "Accident Forgiveness" or "Vanishing Deductible" or some other feature that costs less than the increase. Electric companies can improve service - which is not normally seen unless there is an outage or frequent brown outs. The improvements are hidden.

With the DirecTV press releases and rate increase notices touting all the new stuff DirecTV is offering (and BTW here are our new rates) it would seem that DirecTV's problem is with added features ... including things added that their customers might not want to pay for ... along with the standard "cost of what you already have" rate increases.

While customers are technically not forced to pay for their RSNs the alternative has been made undesirable ... limiting the subscriber to a package that does not include valuable entertainment options. Customers can't get the Cooking Channel or IFC without paying for RSNs - or DIY, Biography, H2, Nat Geo Wild, Destination America, WGN, Fox Business and other channels. All are off the table unless the customer pays for their RSNs.

So customers have to suck it up, pay for RSNs and pay the additional RSN fee (in select markets) just to get those non-sports entertainment channels. Not exactly a "choice".

The question is, how much choice does the provider have when you factor in possible penetration rate requirements in their agreements? I'm assuming that's why ESPN is in so many of the lower packages, due to penetration rate requirements.

#272 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,298 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 12:43 PM

The question is, how much choice does the provider have when you factor in possible penetration rate requirements in their agreements? I'm assuming that's why ESPN is in so many of the lower packages, due to penetration rate requirements.

The carriers are passing on their lack of choice to customers who then have a lack of choice. It is a broken system ... but since there is no better it is the system we have to work with.

The carriers have more leverage than the customers in this matter. Perhaps that is how DirecTV managed to introduce an RSN free "Entertainment" package last year ... finding a way to offer and market a lower price point that avoids the cost of RSNs (at the price of giving up getting dozens of other channels).

The carriers are our advocates in the matter. They are the ones with the final answer whether a channel is carried on their system or not. They are the ones who set the pricing structure. And they are the ones who have us as customers.

#273 OFFLINE   HinterXGames

HinterXGames

Godfather

• Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:04 PM

The carriers are passing on their lack of choice to customers who then have a lack of choice. It is a broken system ... but since there is no better it is the system we have to work with.

The carriers have more leverage than the customers in this matter. Perhaps that is how DirecTV managed to introduce an RSN free "Entertainment" package last year ... finding a way to offer and market a lower price point that avoids the cost of RSNs (at the price of giving up getting dozens of other channels).

The carriers are our advocates in the matter. They are the ones with the final answer whether a channel is carried on their system or not. They are the ones who set the pricing structure. And they are the ones who have us as customers.

I agree with most of that, though price setting I put more on the Networks than I do the carriers. I haven't heard of disputes because a network wants to lower their asking price, or even because a provider wants to lower their asking price. Most, from what i've read, stem from said Network wanting to raise their prices.
--
From the consumer standpoint though, it's alot easier to call and chew out your provider than it is a network. Which is why they have the leverage, because Network's dont' have to deal with the customer service end of the pricing like providers (nor suffer the competition of such).

#274 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,439 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:05 PM

If you move to PA School Tax is the Killer.

We have one property in Wayne County where I live with 10 acres and I pay About $500 per year in property taxes but school tax is $2800. This is not bad!

Geez, every time I want to buy another house, something else I never heard of pops up. But $3,300 for property taxes and school taxes (we pay for our schools with our property taxes) still would save us quite a bit. We are paying ~ $8,000 a year now and a 5 grand savings would be nice.

Now my rental houses in Monroe County 1 acre each are $1300 Each on Property Taxes, and $5200 each on School taxes. So depending on where you choose in Pa makes a big difference.

And the closer you get to the Delaware River, the higher the taxes. And that's where we'd have to move.

But we do Have electric choice too, which allows you to choose your own Generation company which can save you a few extra dollars on your power.

We have that too. On average, our electric bill is a bit less than $400 a month.

Rich

#275 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,298 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:21 PM

I agree with most of that, though price setting I put more on the Networks than I do the carriers. I haven't heard of disputes because a network wants to lower their asking price, or even because a provider wants to lower their asking price. Most, from what i've read, stem from said Network wanting to raise their prices.

Very few buyers seek higher prices. Unless there is something wrong with the product they have been buying and they believe paying more would improve the product buyers seek lower prices.

Negotiations are secretive ... when they fall apart we occasionally get a glimpse as the providers and carriers make their claims in press releases and on websites. I have seen comments where it seemed that the demand of the network was a better tier placement and not specifically a higher price per subscriber. The gross payment to such a network would be higher if millions of subscribers were added - even at the same price or less per subscriber.

From the consumer standpoint though, it's alot easier to call and chew out your provider than it is a network. Which is why they have the leverage, because Network's dont' have to deal with the customer service end of the pricing like providers (nor suffer the competition of such).

I agree. We are the customers of the carrier not the network. Without the business relationship we have no standing with the network.

The networks have an easy answer ... "other carriers are paying the same as we are asking of DirecTV". Proof? Not available. However it seems that what other carriers are paying seems to keep going up.

#276 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:38 AM

And the closer you get to the Delaware River, the higher the taxes. And that's where we'd have to move.

We have that too. On average, our electric bill is a bit less than $400 a month.

Rich

My 2 retals are in East Stroudsburg, about 3 miles from Delaware River.

The Brough of East Stoudsburg is one of the Highest taxed Broughs in PA.

Our Electric Bill in Winter is less then $300, in summer less then $100. Our Yearly monthly average is $165 per month.

Thats for our house. Now my business is ran on the same grounds but Zoned commercial, so I have to pay more and seperate for my business.
I use Propane gas for heat as well, which runs about $225 per month for 4 months out of the year.
I built my own house spent a crapload on the modern Eco friendly crap.

The difference of this though and Directv, Is I will never walk away ahead of the game with Directv in any way shape or form.
Anything else I buy, nail, or plug in that cost me money ,I will own!

I like Directv , but sooner or later I think something needs to be done about these off that wall increases and prices year after.
RSN fees and MRV fees are a joke and a half!

Edited by damondlt, 24 February 2013 - 08:53 AM.

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

G15 Internet

#277 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:51 AM

UM yes, since its based on what you use.

It also heats my hot water, washes and drys my clothes, Powers my lights, Computers and TV. And don't forget most of all Powers My HR34,HR23, 2 H25's and Swim 16.

Maybe I can send Directv a Bill for the power their equipment uses.:eek2:

I was talking about the cost per killowatt. If that goes up, you aren't getting more efficient electricity or "more electricity". Those costs when they go up are because the cost to provide it have gone up. Salaries for employees, cost to produce, etc. Directv equipment is energy star rated and won a number of awards in the industry as a result.

Yes, electricity does all those things, my point was rates go up and you had made the comment that DTV rates went up and "for what". Well, electric rates go up and the electricity didn't get any better. DTV rates went up and yet 20 new HD channels were launched, new channels were added, new services were added like Directv Everywhere, improvements to hardware, new hardware (Genie, etc), etc, etc. So I would argue that despite the rates going up (driven mostly by huge programming cost increases), DTV has tried hard to also provide more value in return, thus the "for what" comment left me scratching my head.

On the car insurance, well that depends on one's situation. I haven't had a ticket in over a decade and never an accident....but I live in California where chances of accident are higher, chances of theft, etc, are higher. I also have a teenager and another one not too far behind. So it's not a matter of learning to drive better, have that down just fine, but what the circumstances are.

Finally, the property taxes...again, California. Despite Prop 13, depending on when you purchased here and due to the insane cost of homes (even in this economy), the idea of paying less $100 a month in property taxes out here is so foreign. I know many people spending $500 a month in property taxes alone for an average home. That's why I made the comment.

Just my two cents, but the average DTV customer spends about $3 a day for 24 hours of news, sports, entertainment, 100's of channels, many quality services. Many people realize this value equivalency. Others may not find it as valuable, that is an individual decision just as someone has to make that decision on their $150 a month mobile phone bill, or their $5 a day Starbucks habit, or whatever it is folks choose to spend their money on. There is a defined pie of dollars for each person, we try to bring a great service to folks. It's not for everyone, it is for others. Again, my two cents.

Enjoy the weekend.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#278 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:03 AM

DTV rates went up and yet 20 new HD channels were launched, new channels were added, new services were added like Directv Everywhere, improvements to hardware, new hardware (Genie, etc), etc, etc. .

Yep all the stuff not everyone cares about , But is forced to pay for.

If you guys all have so much time on your hands to watch TV anywhere maybe you should get a job. Cause I would say vast majority of working Americans don't have time to eat let alone watch tv at work.

And Wow a satellite TV provider launched more channels , Stop traffic! Maybe they should get another award!:rolleyes:

I donated $5000 grand last year to the red cross, Maybe I should get an award.:rolleyes:

I also don't care about Directv Energy Star awards, Every appliance and electronic ,furnace, Hot Water Heater. Had Energy star approval many years ago. BIG DEAL!

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

G15 Internet

#279 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:13 AM

Will someone please close this thread...otherwise it will keep going back and forth

#280 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,239 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:03 AM

I donated $5000 grand last year to the red cross, Maybe I should get an award.:rolleyes:

For a $5,000,000 donation, yes you should get an award.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...