Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Some hidden new fees

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
306 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Cyber36

Cyber36

Legend

• Registered
  • 274 posts
  • LocationByron NY

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:26 AM

Yeah, but if the CUSTOMER has to mention/raise the issue, I guess its still considered "hidden".........

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:31 AM

Well, actually, not always. I knew about the fee from reading about it here (here in the Yankees' market area, it is the cost of YES that incurs the charge) but I received no email or direct mail from DirecTV on the issue. We are on auto bill pay so we don't get a paper bill. I'm okay with the charge, but not everyone was notified in advance.

You would have received an email or separate letter if you don't have a paper bill. You should check your spam folder in case it ended up there. Every customer has to be informed. They are very diligent on this and have a record on every customer when they were notified, how they were notified, etc.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#23 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:32 AM

Yeah, but if the CUSTOMER has to mention/raise the issue, I guess its still considered "hidden".........

The customer doesn't have to mention or raise the issue. All those affected have been notified.

All customers that incur the RSN fee were notified either through mail, email, or their bill in an insert. The $2 fee was disclosed from December 26th through February 6th depending on the customer bill cycle.

DTV = Digital Television

#24 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,127 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:23 PM

Can you opt out of it? Luckily I live in an area without the fee. I'd be pretty upset if I got charged extra for RSNs and couldn't drop them

#25 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:24 PM

Can you opt out of it? Luckily I live in an area without the fee. I'd be pretty upset if I got charged extra for RSNs and couldn't drop them

Only if you have a package without RSN's...

#26 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,127 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:32 PM

Only if you have a package without RSN's...

So if you have something like Xtra, you can't drop the RSNs? That's kind of lame

#27 OFFLINE   crkeehn

crkeehn

Godfather

• Registered
  • 347 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:34 PM

I get Fox Sports South and MASN, im not seeing a fee.

In Washington DC, you should get Comcast Mid Atlantic along with MASN. I guess when I lived in MD, I also got FSS.

In NC, I get Fox Sports Carolinas and MASN. The best of both worlds, my beloved Nationals and (this year) virtually all the Carolina Hurricanes games.

#28 OFFLINE   p4594spa

p4594spa

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:56 PM

So from this I am supposed to know...Which selected ZIP codes???

"Regional Sports Fee applicable in select ZIP codes where DIRECTV is
contractually obligated to distribute multiple Regional Sports Networks. "

I can't opt out of this fee.

"They easily could have written "regional sport fee applicable wherever we
damn will want, but we won't tell you whether this effect you..haha!"

#29 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:00 PM

There were 2 versions of that price increase notification I posted above. If you saw the RSN fee in your version, then it affected you.

RSN Fee: http://www.directv.c...ncrease_RSN.pdf

No RSN Fee: http://www.directv.c...Increase_GM.pdf

#30 OFFLINE   donalddickerson2005

donalddickerson2005

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:01 PM

What they won't tell you is if your price does go up on these RSN fees you can get out of your contract without penalty. But then again where would you go to CABLE haha.

#31 OFFLINE   woj027

woj027

Icon

• Registered
  • 817 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:06 PM

All customers that incur the RSN fee were notified either through mail, email, or their bill in an insert. The $2 fee was disclosed from December 26th through February 6th depending on the customer bill cycle.

Can I get a RSN Rebate? DirecTV doesn't have CSN-NW nor Pac12 networks.

:hurah:

or is it

:confused:

#32 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:08 PM

What they won't tell you is if your price does go up on these RSN fees you can get out of your contract without penalty. But then again where would you go to CABLE haha.

Um.....not too sure about that one.

#33 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:09 PM

Can I get a RSN Rebate? DirecTV doesn't have CSN-NW nor Pac12 networks.

:hurah:

or is it

:confused:

More like :beatdeadhorse:

#34 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 944 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:06 PM

Do you have some proof of this? Perhaps you have a link to it.

#35 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:29 PM

If you got the version with the RSN fee listed, you live in one of those zip codes. If you got the version without the RSN fee listed on it, you don't live in one of those zip codes.

If a future zip code changes that will incur the fee, the customer would be notified as required. The zip codes may be subject to change because deals with RSNs are changing, new ones created, and the cost structure changes as a result.

There are about 45,000 zip codes in the USA. The vast majority are not impacted by this.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#36 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 944 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:35 PM

Directv should consider an opt out for those customers that don't want to pay the extra fee. Since as you say the vast majority of zip codes aren't included, it shouldn't be that difficult to set up. You could allow the customer to remove as many rsns as necessary to avoid the fee.

#37 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:45 PM

Directv should consider an opt out for those customers that don't want to pay the extra fee. Since as you say the vast majority of zip codes aren't included, it shouldn't be that difficult to set up. You could allow the customer to remove as many rsns as necessary to avoid the fee.

It's not as easy as it sounds.

RSN's (and most sports networks) want high penetration in packages so their carriage fees will be large. They need to make up the big bucks they spend for the content and exclusive deals they have.

So if it moved to an a la carte model the cost to add RSN's individually for the consumer would be pretty $$$.

Instead of passing the high RSN cost to all customers, D* chose to have that fee for those customers in the affected areas.

Is it "unfair"...? Some would argue that. But again you have the option in selecting a package without RSN's.

#38 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 944 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:46 PM

It's not as easy as it sounds.

RSN's (and most sports networks) want high penetration in packages so their carriage fees will be large. They need to make up the big bucks they spend for the content and exclusive deals they have.

So if it moved to an a la carte model the cost to add RSN's individually for the consumer would be pretty $$$.

Instead of passing the high RSN cost to all customers, D* chose to have that fee for those customers in the affected areas.

Is it "unfair"...? Some would argue that. But again you have the option in selecting a package without RSN's.

I understand your point, but it's not really ala carte if you can remove one rsn to avoid the $2 fee.

#39 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:48 PM

I understand your point, but it's not really ala carte if you can remove one rsn to avoid the $2 fee.

D*'s contracts (as well as most providers) with the RSN's don't allow that removal.

#40 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:49 PM

DirecTV cannot just arbitrarily do that.
DTV = Digital Television

spam firewall