Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Some hidden new fees

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
306 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:49 PM

D*'s contracts (as well as most providers) with the RSN's don't allow that removal.

+1
DTV = Digital Television

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 ONLINE   unixguru

unixguru

Godfather

• Registered
  • 570 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:37 PM

D*'s contracts (as well as most providers) with the RSN's don't allow that removal.

Somebody has to stop this BS.

I don't want the government sticking it's nose into everything but there has to be some reasonable consumer protections put into place.

When two sat and one cable provider in any given area is forced into the same contracts with suppliers that force consumers to pay for stuff they don't want... how is that effectively anything different from a full monopoly? :mad:

#43 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:43 PM

Somebody has to stop this BS.

I don't want the government sticking it's nose into everything but there has to be some reasonable consumer protections put into place.

When two sat and one cable provider in any given area is forced into the same contracts with suppliers that force consumers to pay for stuff they don't want... how is that effectively anything different from a full monopoly? :mad:

It's not a monopoly...you can change your package to one that doesn't have RSN's.

#44 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:25 PM

Directv should consider an opt out for those customers that don't want to pay the extra fee. Since as you say the vast majority of zip codes aren't included, it shouldn't be that difficult to set up. You could allow the customer to remove as many rsns as necessary to avoid the fee.

Problem is that the RSNs demand that the channel be in those higher tier packages and are required under contract. That's one of the core issues. The RSNs (the teams, etc) want broad penetration for advertising eyeballs AND large fees from the distributor.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#45 OFFLINE   donalddickerson2005

donalddickerson2005

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:09 PM

Do you have some proof of this? Perhaps you have a link to it.

yes here is directv's link and i have also included the section.

http://www.directv.c...tomer_agreement

(d) Our Programming Changes. Many factors affect the availability, cost and quality of programming and may influence the decision to raise prices and the amount of any increase. These include, among others, programming and other costs, consumer demand, market and shareholder expectations, and changing business conditions. Accordingly, we must reserve the unrestricted right to change, rearrange, add or delete our programming packages, the selections in those packages, our prices, and any other Service we offer, at any time. We will endeavor to notify you of any change that is within our reasonable control and its effective date. In most cases this notice will be about one month in advance. You always have the right to cancel your Service, in whole or in part, if you do not accept the change (see Section 5). If you cancel your Service, a deactivation fee (described in Sections 2 & 5(B)) or other charges may apply. Credits, if any, to your account will be posted as described in Section 5. If you do not cancel, your continued receipt of our Service will constitute acceptance.

© Our Cancellation. We may cancel your Service at any time if you fail to pay amounts owing to us when due, subject to any grace periods, breach any other material provision of this Agreement, or act abusively toward our staff. In such case, you will still be responsible for payment of all outstanding balances accrued through that effective date, including the deactivation fee described in Section 2. In addition, we may cancel your Service if you elect not to accept any changed terms described to you, as provided in Section 4.

(B) Your Cancellation. You may cancel Service by notifying us. You may be charged a deactivation fee as described in Section 2 and issued a credit as described below. Your notice is effective on the day we receive it. You will still be responsible for payment of all outstanding balances accrued through that effective date.

Edited by donalddickerson2005, 12 February 2013 - 06:17 PM.

#46 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,849 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:31 PM

What they won't tell you is if your price does go up on these RSN fees you can get out of your contract without penalty. But then again where would you go to CABLE haha.

Do you have some proof of this? Perhaps you have a link to it.

(d)
5). If you cancel your Service, a deactivation fee (described in Sections 2 & 5(B)) or other charges may apply.

So the reality is you can cancel your service, but NOT without penalty. They can still charge the early termination fee and/or "other charges" that may apply.

#47 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:33 PM

(B) Your Cancellation. You may cancel Service by notifying us. You may be charged a deactivation fee as described in Section 2 and issued a credit as described below. Your notice is effective on the day we receive it. You will still be responsible for payment of all outstanding balances accrued through that effective date.

You didn't include a very important part of what you quoted above:

" In addition to any deactivation or change of service fees provided in Section 2, if you cancel Service or change your Service package, you may be subject to an early cancellation fee if you agreed to a programming agreement with DIRECTV and have failed to maintain the required programming package for the required period of time"

#48 OFFLINE   gbubar

gbubar

Legend

• Registered
  • 159 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:11 PM

Well, actually, not always. I knew about the fee from reading about it here...but I received no email or direct mail from DirecTV on the issue. We are on auto bill pay so we don't get a paper bill. I'm okay with the charge, but not everyone was notified in advance.

+1
HR22-100
HR20-700
HR20-100
H21-100
HR24-500
Whole House DVR

5LNB Slimline Dish and International Dish

#49 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,034 posts
  • LocationWanye County PA

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:16 PM

All customers that incur the RSN fee were notified either through mail, email, or their bill in an insert. The $2 fee was disclosed from December 26th through February 6th depending on the customer bill cycle.

My notice from Directv was my Febuary Bill that just posted on line yesterday. Not really notice if you ask me.

And email would have been nice, since Directv emails me all kinds of other garbage almost daily.

My notice came from DBS talk.

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

Living room      Master Bedroom        Bedroom 2            Bedroom 3       Office/Bedroom 4      

HR34-700  /  C31-700  /  HR24-500 / HR23-700  /  H25-100 

Slimline 5 / SWiM 16 / Premier / MLB EI  / MRV

Blue Ridge Cable Networked 30-3 Mbps 

#50 OFFLINE   donalddickerson2005

donalddickerson2005

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:24 PM

You didn't include a very important part of what you quoted above:

" In addition to any deactivation or change of service fees provided in Section 2, if you cancel Service or change your Service package, you may be subject to an early cancellation fee if you agreed to a programming agreement with DIRECTV and have failed to maintain the required programming package for the required period of time"

Just call DirecTV at 1-800-531-5000, reference "4. CHANGES IN CONTRACT TERMS" in the DirecTV contract and state you do not accept the changes detailed in the contract change notification that take effect February 9, 2010.

Don't say you want to cancel because your canceling incurs the Early Cancellation Fee (ETF), instead, simply state you do not agree to the change in contract terms and they will be forced to end your contract as they can not provide one customer different terms than another. If they don't listen to you, send a certified letter stating you do not agree to the terms. Remember *not* to say you wish to cancel, only that you do not agree to the change in terms and conditions.

this was for 2010 contract
The thing is you will pay for any charges for the current month but if and when you signed your contract this rsn fee was not there you can cancel.

#51 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:27 PM

Just call DirecTV at 1-800-531-5000, reference "4. CHANGES IN CONTRACT TERMS" in the DirecTV contract and state you do not accept the changes detailed in the contract change notification that take effect February 9, 2010.

Don't say you want to cancel because your canceling incurs the Early Cancellation Fee (ETF), instead, simply state you do not agree to the change in contract terms and they will be forced to end your contract as they can not provide one customer different terms than another. If they don't listen to you, send a certified letter stating you do not agree to the terms. Remember *not* to say you wish to cancel, only that you do not agree to the change in terms and conditions.

The thing is you will pay for any charges for the current month but if and when you signed your contract this rsn fee was not there you can cancel.

Umm...no. That isn't how it works. Every place you lifted this claim from is full of people who attempted it and it didn't work. It's nonesense. The terms you initially agreed to stated that the terms are subject to change.

Programming, pricing, terms and conditions subject to change.

http://www.directv.c..._and_conditions

Edited by Hoosier205, 12 February 2013 - 07:33 PM.

DTV = Digital Television

#52 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:33 PM

Umm...no. That isn't how it works.

How many contract law classes have you taken?
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#53 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:34 PM

Where does it state in the customer agreement that if you don't agree to the changes that there will be no penalty?

#54 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:35 PM

How many contract law classes have you taken?

Enough to understand that a false claim copy and pasted from Slickdeals and/or Fatwallet isn't accurate. :rolleyes:

https://www.google.c...iw=1366&bih=651

You don't get out of your contract because the terms change when the terms you agreed to said that the terms were subject to change. If you choose to not agree to the new terms, they reserve the right to cancel your service and charge you the ETF.

Edited by Hoosier205, 12 February 2013 - 07:43 PM.

DTV = Digital Television

#55 OFFLINE   donalddickerson2005

donalddickerson2005

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:41 PM

Where does it state in the customer agreement that if you don't agree to the changes that there will be no penalty?

Ok i am done doing all your work for you. I am not looking to get out of my contract. My bill is not going up because I do not live in the areas involved. Anyone trying to get out of something over a couple of dollars is an idiot. If you can't afford the 2 dollars then how about going down to just basic stations for $25. I for one am fine with my package that gets damn near everything CI, EI, Fox soccer plus, basic spanish because of the 4 sports stations on there. And next year I will be getting cricket ticket.

#56 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:44 PM

Ok i am done doing all your work for you. I am not looking to get out of my contract. My bill is not going up because I do not live in the areas involved. Anyone trying to get out of something over a couple of dollars is an idiot. If you can't afford the 2 dollars then how about going down to just basic stations for $25. I for one am fine with my package that gets damn near everything CI, EI, Fox soccer plus, basic spanish because of the 4 sports stations on there. And next year I will be getting cricket ticket.

I am not trying to get out of anything....never said that. I am just asking you for clarification/evidence regarding your statement that D* will let you out of your agreement when the terms & conditions change.

#57 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:46 PM

Then why are you saying things, such as the post below, that are not true?

What they won't tell you is if your price does go up on these RSN fees you can get out of your contract without penalty. But then again where would you go to CABLE haha.

DTV = Digital Television

#58 OFFLINE   donalddickerson2005

donalddickerson2005

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:56 PM

Then why are you saying things, such as the post below, that are not true?

I was just trying to help you all out.
I was able to get out of my DISH contract early when they raised there rates, I was charged only for the time up till the date they started charging more. I have now been with DIRECTV for a few years. Not everything is online even though we think it is.
My proof is that I was able to do it with the OTHER company.

#59 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:00 PM

My proof is that I was able to do it with the OTHER company.

There we go....:nono2:

#60 OFFLINE   jmpfaff

jmpfaff

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:07 PM

It doesn't have to say that. Basic contract law says that both parties have to agree to a change in terms. The DTV contract (and most contracts between a business and a consumer) state that inaction by the consumer is "acceptance" of the change in terms. The suggestion above is that you take affirmative action to refuse the change in terms

Why do we have to keep having this argument over and over and over? :nono2:

DTV will still try to assess the ETF :eek2:. When you don't pay it, DTV will not sue you, because they would lose, but will instead turn it over to a collection agency that will annoy you until you consider the ETF a cheap price to pay to regain your sanity. Unless you hold out against the collection agency, which will eventually give up because they too know that they will lose if they take it to court.

Edited by jmpfaff, 12 February 2013 - 08:09 PM.
Clarifying why you have to call DTV

spam firewall