Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Some hidden new fees

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
306 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,617 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:27 PM

Just call DirecTV at 1-800-531-5000, reference "4. CHANGES IN CONTRACT TERMS" in the DirecTV contract and state you do not accept the changes detailed in the contract change notification that take effect February 9, 2010.

Don't say you want to cancel because your canceling incurs the Early Cancellation Fee (ETF), instead, simply state you do not agree to the change in contract terms and they will be forced to end your contract as they can not provide one customer different terms than another. If they don't listen to you, send a certified letter stating you do not agree to the terms. Remember *not* to say you wish to cancel, only that you do not agree to the change in terms and conditions.

this was for 2010 contract
The thing is you will pay for any charges for the current month but if and when you signed your contract this rsn fee was not there you can cancel.

Umm...no. That isn't how it works. Every place you lifted this claim from is full of people who attempted it and it didn't work. It's nonesense. The terms you initially agreed to stated that the terms are subject to change.

Programming, pricing, terms and conditions subject to change.

http://www.directv.c..._and_conditions

Edited by Hoosier205, 12 February 2013 - 07:33 PM.

DTV = Digital Television

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,181 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:33 PM

Umm...no. That isn't how it works.

How many contract law classes have you taken?
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#53 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:34 PM

Just call DirecTV at 1-800-531-5000, reference "4. CHANGES IN CONTRACT TERMS" in the DirecTV contract and state you do not accept the changes detailed in the contract change notification that take effect February 9, 2010.

Don't say you want to cancel because your canceling incurs the Early Cancellation Fee (ETF), instead, simply state you do not agree to the change in contract terms and they will be forced to end your contract as they can not provide one customer different terms than another. If they don't listen to you, send a certified letter stating you do not agree to the terms. Remember *not* to say you wish to cancel, only that you do not agree to the change in terms and conditions.

this was for 2010 contract
The thing is you will pay for any charges for the current month but if and when you signed your contract this rsn fee was not there you can cancel.

Where does it state in the customer agreement that if you don't agree to the changes that there will be no penalty?

#54 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,617 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:35 PM

How many contract law classes have you taken?

Enough to understand that a false claim copy and pasted from Slickdeals and/or Fatwallet isn't accurate. :rolleyes:

https://www.google.c...iw=1366&bih=651

You don't get out of your contract because the terms change when the terms you agreed to said that the terms were subject to change. If you choose to not agree to the new terms, they reserve the right to cancel your service and charge you the ETF.

Edited by Hoosier205, 12 February 2013 - 07:43 PM.

DTV = Digital Television

#55 OFFLINE   donalddickerson2005

donalddickerson2005

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:41 PM

Where does it state in the customer agreement that if you don't agree to the changes that there will be no penalty?

Ok i am done doing all your work for you. I am not looking to get out of my contract. My bill is not going up because I do not live in the areas involved. Anyone trying to get out of something over a couple of dollars is an idiot. If you can't afford the 2 dollars then how about going down to just basic stations for $25. I for one am fine with my package that gets damn near everything CI, EI, Fox soccer plus, basic spanish because of the 4 sports stations on there. And next year I will be getting cricket ticket.

#56 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:44 PM

Ok i am done doing all your work for you. I am not looking to get out of my contract. My bill is not going up because I do not live in the areas involved. Anyone trying to get out of something over a couple of dollars is an idiot. If you can't afford the 2 dollars then how about going down to just basic stations for $25. I for one am fine with my package that gets damn near everything CI, EI, Fox soccer plus, basic spanish because of the 4 sports stations on there. And next year I will be getting cricket ticket.

I am not trying to get out of anything....never said that. I am just asking you for clarification/evidence regarding your statement that D* will let you out of your agreement when the terms & conditions change.

#57 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,617 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:46 PM

Then why are you saying things, such as the post below, that are not true?

What they won't tell you is if your price does go up on these RSN fees you can get out of your contract without penalty. But then again where would you go to CABLE haha.

DTV = Digital Television

#58 OFFLINE   donalddickerson2005

donalddickerson2005

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:56 PM

Then why are you saying things, such as the post below, that are not true?

I was just trying to help you all out.
I was able to get out of my DISH contract early when they raised there rates, I was charged only for the time up till the date they started charging more. I have now been with DIRECTV for a few years. Not everything is online even though we think it is.
My proof is that I was able to do it with the OTHER company.

#59 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:00 PM

My proof is that I was able to do it with the OTHER company.

There we go....:nono2:

#60 OFFLINE   jmpfaff

jmpfaff

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:07 PM

It doesn't have to say that. Basic contract law says that both parties have to agree to a change in terms. The DTV contract (and most contracts between a business and a consumer) state that inaction by the consumer is "acceptance" of the change in terms. The suggestion above is that you take affirmative action to refuse the change in terms

Why do we have to keep having this argument over and over and over? :nono2:

DTV will still try to assess the ETF :eek2:. When you don't pay it, DTV will not sue you, because they would lose, but will instead turn it over to a collection agency that will annoy you until you consider the ETF a cheap price to pay to regain your sanity. Unless you hold out against the collection agency, which will eventually give up because they too know that they will lose if they take it to court.

Edited by jmpfaff, 12 February 2013 - 08:09 PM.
Clarifying why you have to call DTV

#61 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:29 PM

It doesn't have to say that. Basic contract law says that both parties have to agree to a change in terms. The DTV contract (and most contracts between a business and a consumer) state that inaction by the consumer is "acceptance" of the change in terms. The suggestion above is that you take affirmative action to refuse the change in terms

Why do we have to keep having this argument over and over and over? :nono2:

DTV will still try to assess the ETF :eek2:. When you don't pay it, DTV will not sue you, because they would lose, but will instead turn it over to a collection agency that will annoy you until you consider the ETF a cheap price to pay to regain your sanity. Unless you hold out against the collection agency, which will eventually give up because they too know that they will lose if they take it to court.

So let me make sure I understand you correctly...

1. Customer refuses the new terms
2. D* assess the ETF
3. Customer doesn't pay the ETF
4. Customer gets taken to collections and hurts their credit score

Is that about right?

Again I am not asking this because I want to leave D*. I'm trying to find out the evidence behind the claim earlier in this thread that if a customer refuses the new terms/pricing that D* will let them out of their agreement?

#62 OFFLINE   pdxBeav

pdxBeav

Godfather

• Registered
  • 447 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:29 PM

The legal issues are not as clear cut as some people claim. For example, let's say the new RSN fee was $1000/month. There isn't a court in the land that would side with DirecTV regardless of the "Terms of service may change" clause.

#63 OFFLINE   cforrest

cforrest

Icon

• Registered
  • 826 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:44 PM

If you got the version with the RSN fee listed, you live in one of those zip codes. If you got the version without the RSN fee listed on it, you don't live in one of those zip codes.

If a future zip code changes that will incur the fee, the customer would be notified as required. The zip codes may be subject to change because deals with RSNs are changing, new ones created, and the cost structure changes as a result.

There are about 45,000 zip codes in the USA. The vast majority are not impacted by this.

Is Directv planning on putting out a list on their site so subscribers or potential new subscribers can see what zip codes are hit by the fee? Would make it easier for everyone IMO! Also could be updated on the fly by Directv if a new carriage deal comes into play resulting in no fee or stoppage of the fee for an area or an area gets the fee added.

D* Setup:

Slimline (AU9-S) w/no multiswitch
(1) HR21-100 0x87F (7/8/08 Made in Mexico) via HDMI to Pioneer PDP-6020FD
(1) HR24-100 0x87F (11/9/10 Made in Thailand) via HDMI to Panasonic TC-P58S2

FIOS 150/150

#64 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:52 PM

DirecTV cannot just arbitrarily do that.

So you have specific knowledge of Directv's contracts?

#65 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 41,394 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:07 PM

Is Directv planning on putting out a list on their site so subscribers or potential new subscribers can see what zip codes are hit by the fee? Would make it easier for everyone IMO! Also could be updated on the fly by Directv if a new carriage deal comes into play resulting in no fee or stoppage of the fee for an area or an area gets the fee added.

Potential new subscribers will see the fee in their Shopping Cart (as long as they have entered their correct zip code on the site). For example, 90001 in LA shows the $3 fee. 20001 in DC does not. Current subscribers should be able to look at their bill.

It would be interesting to map out the tens of thousands of zip codes and see which ones have the fee ... perhaps even do an estimate by population of those codes instead of number of codes with the fee. But I don't see the point.

The fee is there ... assume you are going to pay it and be happy if you don't. Just like the $3 "fee" for local channels ... assume you are going to pay it and be "happy" if you don't have to. And just like the happiness over not paying $3 for locals is diminished by not having your locals the happiness over not paying $3 for expensive RSNs is diminished by not having more RSNs. But approaching the issue from a positive perspective can help.

#66 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,617 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 11:07 PM

So you have specific knowledge of Directv's contracts?

I know that they have contracts that they must honor. Their agreement for retrans of a channel is a contract. We know that these agreements, industry wide, specify how a channel will offered to a provider's customers.
DTV = Digital Television

#67 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:12 AM

I know that they have contracts that they must honor. Their agreement for retrans of a channel is a contract. We know that these agreements, industry wide, specify how a channel will offered to a provider's customers.

So all you know is that they have a contract. We all know that. Aside that, you don't know anything about the contract, do you?

#68 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:14 AM

DirecTV cannot just arbitrarily do that.

Where did I say that it would be arbitrary Mr Strawman?

#69 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,617 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:26 AM

Where did I say that it would be arbitrary Mr Strawman?

That is my characterization of your earlier suggestion.

Directv should consider an opt out for those customers that don't want to pay the extra fee. Since as you say the vast majority of zip codes aren't included, it shouldn't be that difficult to set up. You could allow the customer to remove as many rsns as necessary to avoid the fee.

You cannot arbitrarily alter the terms of an existing contract, by selecting individual channels to remove from a package, on a whim.
DTV = Digital Television

#70 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,617 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:30 AM

So all you know is that they have a contract. We all know that. Aside that, you don't know anything about the contract, do you?

Read the very post you quoted. We know, and it has been mentioned at times by Satelliteracer, that contracts include specifics about how a channel will be offered to customers. You honestly believe that a content owner enters into a retrans agreement with DirecTV without knowing the parameters of these things?
DTV = Digital Television

#71 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:00 AM

Read the very post you quoted. We know, and it has been mentioned at times by Satelliteracer, that contracts include specifics about how a channel will be offered to customers. You honestly believe that a content owner enters into a retrans agreement with DirecTV without knowing the parameters of these things?

I'm sure they do. I'm saying you don't have any idea what's in the contracts.

#72 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:02 AM

That is my characterization of your earlier suggestion.

You cannot arbitrarily alter the terms of an existing contract, by selecting individual channels to remove from a package, on a whim.

I never said arbitrarily, did I? That is your word, not mine. It may well take renegotiation, but perhaps it would be a good idea to have the customer in mind when considering options to raising fees based on a region.

#73 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,617 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:05 AM

I'm sure they do.

Then there is nothing to argue about.
DTV = Digital Television

#74 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,617 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:13 AM

I never said arbitrarily, did I? That is your word, not mine. It may well take renegotiation, but perhaps it would be a good idea to have the customer in mind when considering options to raising fees based on a region.

I never said you used the word. That was my characterization of your suggestion. You never said anything about renegotiation until now. You said that it is something that they should consider and that it shouldn't be that difficult to set up. I said that DirecTV cannot just arbitrarily do that. It takes two to tango and agree to such a thing.
DTV = Digital Television

#75 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:21 AM

I think the customer was in mind when they decided to not pass this on to everyone...just in the regions that have a high RSN cost.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...