Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Some hidden new fees

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
306 replies to this topic

#161 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:14 AM

I have a mail box too.;)
I also have a cell phone.;)

Once again...PM Satelliteracer and he will tell you the date & method the notification was sent.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#162 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,815 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:21 AM

It would seem this discussion has pretty much run it's course.

On the one hand, I believe DirecTV followed normal procedures to send notice to the customers affected by this change.

On the other hand, it is not at all surprising that a small percentage may not have received those notices for whatever reason, which could range from the notice not being sent to the customer getting it but not realizing they did.

To argue back and forth that "I didn't" , "Yes you did" is accomplishing nothing. I am certainly willing to accept that some did not, but I'm also willing to accept that isn't a big enough deal to warrant 160+ posts debating.

#163 OFFLINE   Alebob911

Alebob911

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,576 posts
  • LocationCERES,CA

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:36 PM

It would seem this discussion has pretty much run it's course.

On the one hand, I believe DirecTV followed normal procedures to send notice to the customers affected by this change.

On the other hand, it is not at all surprising that a small percentage may not have received those notices for whatever reason, which could range from the notice not being sent to the customer getting it but not realizing they did.

To argue back and forth that "I didn't" , "Yes you did" is accomplishing nothing. I am certainly willing to accept that some did not, but I'm also willing to accept that isn't a big enough deal to warrant 160+ posts debating.

Amen!

#164 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:58 PM

OK will do. I have atleast 15 Directv emails currently in my inbox.

None of which state a price increase of any kind!!!

So tell me how and why the delivery would be any different then the other 15?

I'm happy to help. Just PM me your account number.

First, we are required by law to notify. We take it VERY SERIOUSLY. We have records of every notification, how it went out (bill insert, email, letter, etc), when it went out, etc.

Second, EVERY customer is notified one way or another.

As to your question above, how you are notified is dependent on many factors. For example, if you live in the state of Wisconsin you will get a paper notification (bill insert or letter) and cannot be notified via email. That is a state law there. If you receive other emails from D*, that doesn't mean you are notified of your price increase via email. Usually, if you receive an ebill, you received an email notification, unless some other legal requirement means a different type of communication. So in your case, you may have opted to receive emails for marketing reasons, etc, but if you get a paper bill you more than likely got a bill insert.

Now, here's another exception. If you have joint billing from a Telco because you bundle. For example, you have AT&T phone service and D* video but you get only one bill, from AT&T. In that case, you would have been sent a separate letter, not a bill insert, or an email.

Just a few examples of how different customers receive different communications dependent on state laws, or dependent on what type of bill you receive and who you receive your bill from.

I'm happy to check in your case when you were notified, how you were notified. Just PM me.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#165 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:59 PM

I have a mail box too.;)
I also have a cell phone.;)

You cannot send price change notifications via phone...regulations do not allow for it.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#166 OFFLINE   Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:44 PM

You can only know what you can verify for certain, which you can't do in this case. You may choose to believe what someone else has said, but you don't know. A lawyer would have a field day with you as a witness against his client.

Some of the silliest sophistry ever read. The moon isn't blue cheese either; but, you could dispute that the same way.

#167 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,214 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:43 PM

Is there any way to opt out of the RSN fee and stop getting the RSN channels?

Better yet, how about a way to opt out of all the sports only channels and get a significant reduction in the monthly charge?
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#168 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 941 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:45 PM

Is there any way to opt out of the RSN fee and stop getting the RSN channels?

Better yet, how about a way to opt out of all the sports only channels and get a significant reduction in the monthly charge?

You can go to the entertainment package. There aren't any rsns, but ESPN may be in it.

#169 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:00 PM

You can go to the entertainment package. There aren't any rsns, but ESPN may be in it.

Correct, and ESPN is in it. Family Package is another option.
DIRECTV employee

#170 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,500 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:03 PM

Of course there are other channels that are not in the package, that are not sports related. Good solution to have, but not for everyone.

#171 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,837 posts
  • LocationWanye County PA

Posted 17 February 2013 - 06:10 PM

No offence Satelliteracer, But I need a little more of your personal backround or even a Directv ID number or something that states your status with Directv accounts.

I'm not giving out my Account number so all my address,credit card number is flying around out in the open.

I don't need someone poking around my personal information if they are not autherized to do so by Directv.

I can call Directv too and ask where my notice was? They are not going to tell me it was sent if it wasn't.

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

Living room      Master Bedroom        Bedroom 2            Bedroom 3       Office/Bedroom 4      

HR34-700  /  C31-700  /  HR24-500 / HR23-700  /  H25-100 

Slimline 5 / SWiM 16 / Premier / MLB EI  / MRV

Blue Ridge Cable Networked 30-3 Mbps 

#172 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:25 PM

No offence Satelliteracer, But I need a little more of your personal backround or even a Directv ID number or something that states your status with Directv accounts.

I'm not giving out my Account number so all my address,credit card number is flying around out in the open.

I don't need someone poking around my personal information if they are not autherized to do so by Directv.

I can call Directv too and ask where my notice was? They are not going to tell me it was sent if it wasn't.

<shaking head>

#173 OFFLINE   boukengreen

boukengreen

Legend

• Registered
  • 231 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:56 PM

<shaking head>

+1
There are some things arrows can't kill, for everything else there's Master Sword.

#174 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,815 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:11 PM

I would think you can contact DirecTV by phone or possibly email and make that inquiry. I'm not sure the person you contact would be able to find the answer, but if not they should be able to escalate it.

As to providing your account number to Satteliteracer, I will say two things. First, he has established his credibility in these forums over the past few years, which I think you will realize if you check his various postings. Secondly, if he is not an employee of DirecTV there is nothing he could do with your account number that would reveal to him any personal information of yours. So your risk is truly limited. But it is certainly your choice to not provide that information to him if that is your desire. He is only trying to help you resolve your question (as well as determine if something did not work properly in their systems - as he notes they take that requirement seriously).

#175 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,411 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:21 PM

Yep that statement was not true.:confused: Where was is?, I have every email Directv has sent me since May of 2012 as well as every statement and payment,and all the other Directv Cinema movie guide,and News.

No price increase or RSN fee notice at all!

Even though we knew about the price increase for months, and were sent a link to know how much the increase is, doesn't mean that directv shouldn't have to at least to some customers, especially paperless customers like me which i didn't receive yet by email.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 
Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#176 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,837 posts
  • LocationWanye County PA

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:56 AM

Even though we knew about the price increase for months, and were sent a link to know how much the increase is, doesn't mean that directv shouldn't have to at least to some customers, especially paperless customers like me which i didn't receive yet by email.

Agree,

Do i really care why it wasn't sent, or what happend behind Directv doors. No! I don't! It doesn't change anything.

Fact is there was no letter, wording of anykind on my bill, or any Email from Directv stating

HBO ,Choice, MRV, increased or RSN fee would be assessed.

By the way, I called Directv back when DBStalk first posted the RSN fee, and Directv told me , I would not be charged because I live in the Scranton Wilkes Barre Market, Not the NY DMA. So what now? Maybe Directv needs to get their facts straight!

$11 increase . Gimmie a break.

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

Living room      Master Bedroom        Bedroom 2            Bedroom 3       Office/Bedroom 4      

HR34-700  /  C31-700  /  HR24-500 / HR23-700  /  H25-100 

Slimline 5 / SWiM 16 / Premier / MLB EI  / MRV

Blue Ridge Cable Networked 30-3 Mbps 

#177 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:30 AM

Anyone who claims they were not notified can easily verify that they actually were by contacting Satelliteracer. If anyone chooses not to do that, they may as well be admitting that their claim was false.
DTV = Digital Television

#178 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,246 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:39 AM

Agree,

Do i really care why it wasn't sent, or what happend behind Directv doors. No! I don't! It doesn't change anything.

Fact is there was no letter, wording of anykind on my bill, or any Email from Directv stating

HBO ,Choice, MRV, increased or RSN fee would be assessed.

By the way, I called Directv back when DBStalk first posted the RSN fee, and Directv told me , I would not be charged because I live in the Scranton Wilkes Barre Market, Not the NY DMA. So what now? Maybe Directv needs to get their facts straight!

$11 increase . Gimmie a break.

At present the best you can say is you didn't receive any notification. You can't say none was sent.

Do you have anyone else (like a spouse) who opens mail? Perhaps it was tossed before you saw it.

Anyway, since you are in a different DMA, I would definitely take up SatelliteRacer's offer. While the other price increases are set, it could have happened that you really aren't supposed to be charged the RSN fee.

Peace,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#179 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,500 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:39 AM

Honest question, if you were a dish customer, would you provide it to a DIRT team member?

#180 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,246 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:41 AM

Anyone who claims they were not notified can easily verify that they actually were by contacting Satelliteracer. If anyone chooses not to do that, they may as well be admitting that their claim was false.

That appears to be an unnecessarily harsh description.

Peace,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

spam firewall