Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Questions about dish heaters

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   joannel

joannel

AllStar

• Registered
  • 82 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:25 PM

Does anyone out there have information about dish heaters. I have a Directv Slimline-5 dish, and it seems to be happening with more regularity that my dish gets caked with snow during snowstorms and I lose my signal. This happens anytime I get a wet, heavy, snow. I have seen some info on line, but would like to know if anyone has any experience with them. I would love one where I could just throw a switch when I need to.
HR22/100
HBH-SA (SD receiver)
Denon AVR 1312
LG 42" Plasma TV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   EdJ

EdJ

Legend

• Registered
  • 157 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:45 PM

Can't help you myself since I have not installed a dish heater.... But, if you enter 'dish heater' in the search function of the forum, you will find a lot of info about the heaters.

#3 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:57 PM

Years ago had an oversize DirecTV 101 only dish with a heater. Heater didn't see much use, and when 3 LNB models came out took down the 101. The dish was heavy, and the power pack was almost as big as a loaf of bread and quite heavy. It did work, but winters have been milder, and I had the 3 LNB mounted closer to edge of roof for brooming it.

My current KaKu is near edge of roof and it gets broomed maybe 1 or 2 times a winter.

Seems like someone in another thread suggested mounting a SWiM16 on the back of the dish to use as a heater LOL.

#4 OFFLINE   I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE

CowboySooner

• Registered
  • 1,113 posts
  • LocationNorthern plains

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:11 AM

Mine is now plugged for the third time this winter. Had not happened one time for the previous 15 years.
Perhaps I Misremembered.

#5 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,766 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:32 AM

As you can see by my signature we have had satellite TV for over 14 years. In the first 10 we never had signal outage due to snow, despite having several winters when we had storms that dropped a couple of feet of snow. Then we had a winter were we lost signal 4 times. Each time it was wet snow that accumulated on the dish surface itself. That summer we installed a Hot Shot heater (attached to the face of the dish). Since then we have not had another problem. Is it because of the heater, or was that one winter an anomaly? Beats me.

Mechanically, the heater coil is a peel and stick affair (make sure you clean the dish first) and a thin low voltage cable runs to the power supply. In our case, we have our SWM-16 positioned near a double outlet in the attic and so we put the heater power supply there as well. It has a thermostat in the connector at the dish, but we still unplug it in the spring and plug it back in when we get the Christmas decorations down (we rarely get much snow before January here).

Hope this helps.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#6 OFFLINE   unixguru

unixguru

Godfather

• Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:04 AM

I live in Minnesota and have an ICE Zapper on mine. I have the original thermostat model but I have it on an X10 switch because I don't want to pay for electricity to run it all winter. I turn it on when I have a problem which in a typical MN winter is once a season. Just used it a few weeks ago - only had to run it for about 4 hours.

Very rarely my LNBs are coated and these heaters do nothing for that. Just have to wait for sunshine.

Edited by unixguru, 12 February 2013 - 09:15 AM.

#7 OFFLINE   bpratt

bpratt

Godfather

• Registered
  • 573 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:29 AM

I have been using the Hot Shot dish heater for 4 or 5 years now. The Hot Shot can be installed on either the front or back of the dish. I installed mine on the back of the dish because I didn't want to block the satellite signal in any way. I turn mine on around the first of December and turn it off around the first of March. Since installing the heater, I have never lost my signal due to snow.

http://www.cyberesto...cal-dishes.html

HR10-250   550G WD  6.4a
HR21-700   750G WD x087f AM21
HR21-700 2000G WD x087f AM21
HR44-500 2000G WD x0870
DirecTV since 1997

#8 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:15 PM

While I don't have a slimline dish, my Phase III dish does get a goodly amount of snow on it here in Wisconsin. Snow doesn't seem to affect the Ku band reception nearly as much as a heavy rain does. I can only remember once or twice that the snow was so bad that it resulted in a "searching for satellite" message.

I think a lot of people get "searching for satellite" when just a moderate rain storm occurs or a little snow gets on their dish because the installer didn't aim it properly even though it may have passed their tests.

For those with HD, when the Ka signal (HD) dies do the non-HD channels (from the 101) also die?

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#9 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,808 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:22 PM

Ka goes away sooner than Ku, and it is possible to hang at that threshold where you get SD but not HD. As to snow, it all depends on how wet it is. A dry powder has little negative effect. A wet slushy snow will take out my Ka and Ku signals very rapidly (1/8" to 1/4" accumulation on the dish). My dish is properly aligned, with 101 all in the mid to high 90's and 99/103 mostly in the low to mid 90's (a few in the high 80's).

#10 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,183 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:41 PM

I am in year 3 of the Hot Shot heater. Best purchase I ever made. I installed it myself on the back of the dish and I have not had a snow related outage since I got it. It has a thermostat that seems to kick on around 40 degrees. I turn mine on in November and off in April.

#11 OFFLINE   Ancient1

Ancient1

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 12:54 PM

I installed a Hot Shot in October of 2010. Have not lost a signal since. Prior to that, I regularly had outages, even in a light snowfall. The unit is thermostatically controlled, and I leave it on all year around. I have a large solar panel system, so I'm not worried about what little current it may use when it isn't actually heating the dish. Even though I am in a "light" snow area, I consider this a very worthwhile purchase - highly recommended!
Bedroom: HR23-700 feeding Integra DTR-6.8 via HDMI, into 42" Toshiba REGZA 42RV53OU LCD.
Theater: HR22-100 into Anthem Statement D2 via HDMI, into Aragon 8008X3 amps, then into JVC DLA-RS2U projector.
Living Room: HR24-200 feeding Yamaha RX-A3000 via HDMI, into 55" Toshiba 55UL605U LCD.

DirecTV user since 2000.

#12 OFFLINE   GregAmy

GregAmy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 09:04 AM

Up here in New England, even with that last big snow I've not had any snowstorms that a couple strategically-targeted snowballs weren't able to resolve.

If we lived somewhere it snowed all the time and never thawed in between, maybe a heater would be useful. But here it's kinda a waste.

- GA, 31" snow that last go-round...surely we're done for the year...?

#13 OFFLINE   pjschwartz

pjschwartz

AllStar

• Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:45 PM

Ditto. I'm also in MN and have the Ice Zapper. I only plug it in when needed. Used it twice this year.

#14 OFFLINE   EdJ

EdJ

Legend

• Registered
  • 157 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:06 AM

Up here in New England, even with that last big snow I've not had any snowstorms that a couple strategically-targeted snowballs weren't able to resolve.

Great idea.... The times I had problems with snow on the dish I dragged out the extension ladder from the garage to the back yard to get close enough to knock the snow off the dish. I never though about tossing a snowball at the dish to knock off the accumulation. Just have to 'calibrate' the force the snowball is thrown so that the snow gets knocked off, but not hard enough to do some damage or knock it out of alignment.

spam firewall