Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HD DVRs, Receivers and R22 Version 0x66D, Issues/Discussion

• Please log in to reply
168 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,068 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:42 AM

Maybe I missed it. What does FAR IN ADVANCE mean? Thanks.

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=212458
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#42 OFFLINE   Sea bass

Sea bass

Icon

• Registered
  • 667 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:50 PM

See the first post in this very thread.

They are the same? No. Why would I get 0x66a 2 weeks back and 0x66c now...I guess there is no answer, I'll call it "under the hood" improvement update.

#43 OFFLINE   JBv

JBv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 945 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:53 PM

They are the same? No. Why would I get 0x66a 2 weeks back and 0x66c now...I guess there is no answer, I'll call it "under the hood" improvement update.

That's your answer.
Minor bug fixes from 0x66a.
DirecTV Employee
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DirecTV's positions, strategies, or opinions.

#44 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,068 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:04 AM

It could have been something as minor as a spelling correction in a menu.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#45 OFFLINE   JetJam

JetJam

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:19 PM

0X66A has messed up the handshake over HDMI on (2) H25 with the same monitors connected. power off H25 would invoked sleep on the monitor, now it goes to sleep and come right back on with no picture and stays on, this happens both after update on 2-27 at 3:47am.
HR24-500
HR20-700
(2) H25
Sony STR-DA5300ES - JBL & B.I.C America
Sanyo PLV-Z2000 - Carada 92"
XBOX 360, PS3, Wii
Linksys WRT54GL(Tomato)
Win7 Ultimate
Home Server 2011

#46 OFFLINE   jibberyerkibber

jibberyerkibber

Legend

• Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:56 AM

About half the time when I turn on my HR23, the picture is black. If I don't do anything, it stays black for about 30 seconds and then comes a picture. If I key in a channel, oftentimes I get a picture. Sometimes I don't. Odd, but if while the picture is still black I press the PLAY button, the time line appears at the bottom of the screen showing a time and possibly a program way earlier than where we currently are. I have my HR23, an HR24, and an HR34 all hooked to the same dish. Thanks!

#47 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 01:22 PM

About half the time when I turn on my HR23, the picture is black. If I don't do anything, it stays black for about 30 seconds and then comes a picture. If I key in a channel, oftentimes I get a picture. Sometimes I don't. Odd, but if while the picture is still black I press the PLAY button, the time line appears at the bottom of the screen showing a time and possibly a program way earlier than where we currently are. I have my HR23, an HR24, and an HR34 all hooked to the same dish. Thanks!

Sounds like an HDMI handshake issue. Next time it happens try switching the TV to a different input and back, I'm betting that will bring back the picture.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#48 OFFLINE   Rtm

Rtm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:05 PM

66c HR21 Sharp TV HDMI video yes sound no. Unplug replying HDMI fixed.

#49 OFFLINE   Alamei

Alamei

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 09:09 AM

Ever since this firmware update, I've been experiencing issues with short audio dropouts. I can tell it's not an issue with the stream, since, if I'm playing something back on the DVR, I can rewind over the period where the audio cut out and it will play just fine the second time through. I've tried rebooting the receiver and checking all of the connections, but nothing seems to make a difference. Is anyone else experiencing dropouts only since this firmware update? (I know lots of people just see them on specific channels while they're watching live, but this issue even impacts shows I'd recorded on my DVR long ago.)

#50 OFFLINE   row25

row25

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 04:51 PM

0X66A has messed up the handshake over HDMI on (2) H25 with the same monitors connected. power off H25 would invoked sleep on the monitor, now it goes to sleep and come right back on with no picture and stays on, this happens both after update on 2-27 at 3:47am.

0x66a H25 updated on 2/14--also experience handshaking issues! Now HDMI pass-through on my Denon AVR does not work properly all the time. Anyone know how often these firmware updates are released?

#51 OFFLINE   jibberyerkibber

jibberyerkibber

Legend

• Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 07:32 AM

Sounds like an HDMI handshake issue. Next time it happens try switching the TV to a different input and back, I'm betting that will bring back the picture.

I switched HDMI inputs and things seemed fine for about six hours. Then again, NO PICTURE after I turned the HR23 on. I also know it's not the HDMI because I sent an S-connector to another TV and the same NO PICTURE results. I took the splitter out that split the signal between the tuner and the internet. No luck there. I did an RBR and a menu reset. Still no luck. Here are some things I forgot to mention: 1. After I finally get a picture, and if I don't touch the remote for a few hours, the screen goes SCREENSAVER. 2. I recently had Weakknees change the hard drive from a 500 meg to a 1 terabyte. When I get a black screen, if I play a recorded video, the video plays fine immediately. No problem with the HR23 before the hard drive switch except occasionally for the SCREENSAVER phenomenon, but the NO PICTURE after turning on didn't happen right away after the switch so I don't known if there is a causal connection. 3. Finally, my HR23 is only connected from the dish to one tuner. The other tuner is dormant. I tried switching the dish input to the other tuner only to get a message that the receiver wasn't properly connected to the dish. Don't know if that's a possible factor. I still don't have 0x66a or 0x66b or whatever is the latest now. Maybe it will help. Thanks!

#52 OFFLINE   PK6301

PK6301

Legend

• Registered
  • 315 posts
  • LocationErie, PA

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:18 PM

Should I be concerned that my HR23-700 has not received the update as of 3/3/13 ?..Should I force the update or just sit tight?

Thanks

#53 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,068 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:26 PM

Should I be concerned that my HR23-700 has not received the update as of 3/3/13 ?..Should I force the update or just sit tight?

Thanks

If you force it you won't get it unless your unit is authorized. Once your unit is authorized you'll get it that night. Just sit tight. Rollouts take time.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#54 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:48 AM

Thanks

Lots of us don't have it yet, don't worry.

#55 OFFLINE   jibberyerkibber

jibberyerkibber

Legend

• Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:58 PM

When I am watching a picture on my TV that comes from my DVR's tuner, am I actually watching the picture straight from the tuner or am I seeing it as it comes a millisecond or so later off of what is buffering on my hard drive? Thanks!

#56 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,068 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:09 PM

When I am watching a picture on my TV that comes from my DVR's tuner, am I actually watching the picture straight from the tuner or am I seeing it as it comes a millisecond or so later off of what is buffering on my hard drive? Thanks!

You're watching the buffer.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#57 OFFLINE   jibberyerkibber

jibberyerkibber

Legend

• Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:17 PM

You're watching the buffer.

Then would you agree RunnerFL that the likely culprit of my black picture when I turn on my HR23 is due to the new hard drive I had installed? Here's why I think it is: When the picture is still black after I turn on the HR23, if I press the PLAY button, the display on the bottom of the screen reveals a time and a program that have been over for a long time. Thanks!

#58 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,068 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:16 PM

Then would you agree RunnerFL that the likely culprit of my black picture when I turn on my HR23 is due to the new hard drive I had installed? Here's why I think it is: When the picture is still black after I turn on the HR23, if I press the PLAY button, the display on the bottom of the screen reveals a time and a program that have been over for a long time. Thanks!

If the hard drive were the problem you'd get a blue screen with an error code.

What happens when you change channels or start a recording?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#59 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:17 PM

Honestly I don't want it, If it ain't broke don't fix it. But i'll get it anyway no choices

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#60 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:18 PM

I switched HDMI inputs and things seemed fine for about six hours. Then again, NO PICTURE after I turned the HR23 on. I also know it's not the HDMI because I sent an S-connector to another TV and the same NO PICTURE results.

This still sounds like an HDMI handshake issue to me. The fact that switching inputs away and then back fixes the problem helps back that up. When you switch the inputs and then switch back the HD-DVR and TV have to go through a HDMI handshake before it starts showing the channel picture.

My guess is that when your TV and HD-DVR are first turned on something is causing that HDMI handshake to not complete correctly. That is why it doesn't show the picture of the channel you are currently tuned to, but it will bring up the menu, playlist, guide, etc. This also explains why the S-Video output doesn't show any video either. If there is a problem completing the HDMI handshake the DirecTV receivers kill video output to all outputs not just the HDMI, the the composite, S-Video and component outputs will all show the same blank screen.

If you change channels, or start watching a recording with a different resolution it will cause the HDMI handshake to occur again, and that is when your picture comes back. Same thing with changing inputs to a different one and back, it causes a new HDMI handshake to take place.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

Protected By... spam firewall...And...