Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HD DVRs, Receivers and R22 Version 0x66D, Issues/Discussion

• Please log in to reply
168 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   jibberyerkibber

jibberyerkibber

Legend

• Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:43 AM

If the hard drive were the problem you'd get a blue screen with an error code.

What happens when you change channels or start a recording?

This still sounds like an HDMI handshake issue to me. The fact that switching inputs away and then back fixes the problem helps back that up. When you switch the inputs and then switch back the HD-DVR and TV have to go through a HDMI handshake before it starts showing the channel picture.

My guess is that when your TV and HD-DVR are first turned on something is causing that HDMI handshake to not complete correctly. That is why it doesn't show the picture of the channel you are currently tuned to, but it will bring up the menu, playlist, guide, etc. This also explains why the S-Video output doesn't show any video either. If there is a problem completing the HDMI handshake the DirecTV receivers kill video output to all outputs not just the HDMI, the the composite, S-Video and component outputs will all show the same blank screen.

If you change channels, or start watching a recording with a different resolution it will cause the HDMI handshake to occur again, and that is when your picture comes back. Same thing with changing inputs to a different one and back, it causes a new HDMI handshake to take place.

If I change channels with my HR23 after I have a picture, it takes from 5 to 10 seconds for the channel to switch. Slightly slower than my HR24, but that might be expected. If I use the PREV switch, the channel changes in 3 to 5 seconds. This phenomenon, No Picture After On (NPAO) only happens after the HR23 has been off for a while, like several hours, usually more than two. ON and OFF and ON again every so often always produces a picture. If I turn the HR23 on and get NPAO, and press the RECORD button, nothing happens. If I get NPAO and I quickly PLAY a recorded video from the LIST, I get a picture immediately. Also, to reiterate, if when I have a NPAO and I press PLAY, the time and program status bar oftentimes displays a time and a program that have been over or several hours (more than 1 1/2 hours). I still don't know what to make of that. On the HDMI handshake, I've got some experimenting to do. The HR23 is on HDMI 3. When the HR23 is OFF and I switch to HDMI 3, usually there is a graphic on my screen from the TV that says "NO DATA." Sometimes however, that graphic does not appear. Maybe that means there is no attempt at handshaking at that time? I'll have to check and see if that graphic finally appears after waiting a while before I turn the HR23 on. Also I'll have to see if I get NPAO or an immediate picture depending on whether or not that graphic is on or off. Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   jibberyerkibber

jibberyerkibber

Legend

• Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:32 AM

Sometimes when I turn the HR23 ON when the HDMI 3 screen says "NO DATA" I get an immediate picture, sometimes I don't for 30 seconds (NPAO). Sometimes when the screen is blank without the "NO DATA" message, I get an immediate picture, sometimes I get NPAO. So the presence or absence of the "NO DATA" message doesn't matter whether or not I get an immediate picture after turning the HR23 ON. All that seems to matter is the passage of time. If the HR23 is off for less than about three hours. I always get an immediate picture. If the HR23 is OFF for more than three hours, I usually get the black screen (NPAO) for about the usual thirty seconds. Could this still be an HDMI handshake issue? If it is, could it be an issue with the HR23 that means it is dying? Thanks.

#63 OFFLINE   mkdtv21

mkdtv21

Legend

• Registered
  • 197 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 01:09 AM

Will "Far in advance" work with the R22?

#64 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,398 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:35 PM

Are there bugs on the NR? I wondered why I haven't received it yet, I know is a staggered rollout but I think they found bugs with MRV issues or other issues. But I'm patient as long as they fix the SW. But knowing the history of problems I'm not too confident.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 
Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#65 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 06:19 AM

Seems to be a really slow rollout so maybe they did find a problem.

#66 OFFLINE   jibberyerkibber

jibberyerkibber

Legend

• Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:07 AM

Remember my HR23 wouldn't get a picture and sound for at least 30 seconds after I turned it on. Called DTV. The young person said it was probably due to the fact that my HR23 is connected to the satellite to receive data to only one of its tuners. My HR 24 is set to get data on both tuners. That's just the way the DTV installer did it. Still bums me out. Then I switched the satellite connection configuration so the HR23 got data to both receivers. Turned it ON -- immediate picture and sound. Problem solved, right? Wrong. If I then pressed RECORD on the channel I was getting and then tried to change channels to get a picture from the other tuner, the HR23 wouldn't change channels, that is for 30 seconds to a full minute. Then I resigned myself to the fact that my HR23 has a tuner that is dying. I called DTV with the idea of convincing them to swap it out for an HR24. Two and one half years of recordings gone. Boo hoo. The young person at DTV, as a last ditch effort, had me switch my default resolution on the HR23 from NATIVE ON to NATIVE OFF. Funny, but now it produces and picture and sound immediately and it will immediately switch to another channel if I am recording on the first channel. It worked fine for two and one half years with the resolution set to NATIVE ON. Go figure.

#67 OFFLINE   Rtm

Rtm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 392 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 07:18 PM

Is this still rolling out?

#68 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 07:06 AM

Good question.

#69 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:10 AM

Based on the Firmware Watcher for HR21 (which is for HR22 & HR23) & HR24, it could be. The last update for any of these models were on 3/15.

Attached Thumbnails

• 0x66D.JPG

HR34-700, HR22-100

#70 OFFLINE   Rtm

Rtm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 392 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 04:14 AM

Is 66D the new NatRelease I don't see it in this thread.

#71 OFFLINE   HIGHWAY

HIGHWAY

Legend

• Registered
  • 129 posts
  • Locationnorth east pa

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:38 AM

is it 66c new

#72 OFFLINE   Hotelone

Hotelone

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 55 posts
  • LocationCentral Sierra Mountains

Posted 20 March 2013 - 03:50 PM

Any release notes or is this the same as 66a/b/c?

#73 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,445 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 20 March 2013 - 03:53 PM

A small version revision like this wouldn't get it's own release notes.

#74 OFFLINE   bpratt

bpratt

Godfather

• Registered
  • 575 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:26 AM

I received 66d a couple of days ago, but it looks like it took a step backwards from 66c. 66c almost totally correct the problem with skipping to the end of a recording when doing multiple 30 second skip forwards, but its back and happens quite often with 66d.
The other problem that is back with 66d is when I fast forward at 2 or greater, my TV only shows the top inch or two of the picture, so I don't really know where I am in the recording. 66c had corrected that problem which also existed on 66a.

HR10-250   550G WD  6.4a
HR21-700   750G WD x087f AM21
HR21-700 2000G WD x087f AM21
HR44-500 2000G WD x0870
DirecTV since 1997

#75 OFFLINE   ChipW

ChipW

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 01:19 PM

I'm starting to wonder if I'll ever get this update. It's been almost 6 weeks and no sign of it yet - and it's the first update since the HD GUI that has features I'm anxious to take advantage of.

#76 OFFLINE   Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye

AllStar

• Registered
  • 163 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 02:05 AM

Now I'm hoping not to get it. 0x62c for me (HR21-700) has been the most recently reliable release since the HD GUI came out! Seems it may have been tweaked a bit since mid December, but for the first time in a very long time I haven't needed any resets (months, now) and most of the slowness issues of prior releases have not resurfaced, yet.

Other than one "not-able-to-record" guide issue, 62C has been the best. Even fixed 30sec skip issue on locals, and had already taken away the game lounge icon.

Not sure I really need VOD linking and Far and Away features at the expense of reliabiltiy and the possibility of downgrading and losing recordings! However if it really does speed things up significantly... the 21 needs all the help it can get.

#77 OFFLINE   jibberyerkibber

jibberyerkibber

Legend

• Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:01 AM

I'm starting to wonder if I'll ever get this update. It's been almost 6 weeks and no sign of it yet - and it's the first update since the HD GUI that has features I'm anxious to take advantage of.

I haven't got it yet either. I just hope and pray that it's not like the several most recent software versions my HR34 has downloaded. For example, when I change channels on the HR34, a graphic prompt appears on the screen that says TO RECORD THIS EPISODE, PRESS R ON YOUR REMOTE CONTROL. Duhhhhhh. The prompt stays on the screen a long time unless you press any button on the remote, which means an extra step if you want to execute another remote control command.

#78 OFFLINE   bpratt

bpratt

Godfather

• Registered
  • 575 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:21 AM

Now I'm hoping not to get it. 0x62c for me (HR21-700) has been the most recently reliable release since the HD GUI came out! Seems it may have been tweaked a bit since mid December, but for the first time in a very long time I haven't needed any resets (months, now) and most of the slowness issues of prior releases have not resurfaced, yet.

Other than one "not-able-to-record" guide issue, 62C has been the best. Even fixed 30sec skip issue on locals, and had already taken away the game lounge icon.

Not sure I really need VOD linking and Far and Away features at the expense of reliabiltiy and the possibility of downgrading and losing recordings! However if it really does speed things up significantly... the 21 needs all the help it can get.

I think you mean 66c not 62c.
I agree that 66c was a great release for the HR21-700s (I own 2), but it apparently caused problems on some HR24s. I received 66d a few days ago and all the problems that existed on 66a are now back. I guess 66a was a good version for the HR24s and the rest of us with older HR models will have to suffer with the problems.

HR10-250   550G WD  6.4a
HR21-700   750G WD x087f AM21
HR21-700 2000G WD x087f AM21
HR44-500 2000G WD x0870
DirecTV since 1997

#79 OFFLINE   Getteau

Getteau

Icon

• Registered
  • 808 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:48 AM

1. After I finally get a picture, and if I don't touch the remote for a few hours, the screen goes SCREENSAVER.

This bug has been around a long time. Occasionally it will go away for a few releases, but it always comes back. I see similar things on my all of my receivers. My sons R22 is on Screen Saver every morning when I wake him up. I see it on my HR21-100, my HR23 and my HR24-100 as well. Turning on/off the power-save feature doesn't seem to fix the issue.

Thanks,
Rich

HR44-500 - HDMI to Panasonic TC-50S1 50" Plasma
HR24-100 - HDMI to Panasonic TC-50S1 50" Plasma
HR23-700 - HDMI to Insignia 42" Plasma
HR22-100 - HDMI to LG 32" LCD
HR21-700 - WD 1T Green Power drive - HDMI to Toshiba 65HM167 65" rear projection

R22-200 - Component to Insignia 42" Plasma
R15 - svideo to Toshiba 32" tube tv

#80 OFFLINE   Rtm

Rtm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 392 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:09 AM

This bug has been around a long time. Occasionally it will go away for a few releases, but it always comes back. I see similar things on my all of my receivers. My sons R22 is on Screen Saver every morning when I wake him up. I see it on my HR21-100, my HR23 and my HR24-100 as well. Turning on/off the power-save feature doesn't seem to fix the issue.

How is it a bug I like the screen saver to come on when I have my receiver on pause and such.

spam firewall