Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HD DVRs, Receivers and R22 Version 0x66D, Issues/Discussion

• Please log in to reply
168 replies to this topic

#151 OFFLINE   swyman18

swyman18

Legend

• Registered
  • 271 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 02:28 PM

I just received 0x66d on my HR24 yesterday and immediately noticed problems with remote response. There are times where the HR24 almost seems to ignore inputs although TV keeps playing uninterrupted. After a short time (maybe 30 seconds or so) - the HR24 starts to respond again but then at seemingly a random interval it stops again.

I restarted the receiver yesterday via the menu after it happened a few times and that seemed to help for awhile. But today after letting the receiver idle overnight the problem has come back. It seems to happen more often on "premium" channels such as HBO where HDCP DRM is enabled. Notably, HDCP problems I've had in the past seem to be fixed with 0x66d.

Today when it happened, I got up and tried pressing buttons on the receiver and it also did not respond - so it isn't like dead batteries in my remote or anything.

I also received 0x66d on one of my HR23s and it does not seem to have the same problem although it is generally a lot slower than my HR24.

Does anyone have any ideas for a fix or do I just need to wait until the next SW release comes out?

After 3 years of flawless performance from my HR24-500, I've started seeing similar behavior since 0x66d came down a few days ago. The DVR will stop responding completely while video continues to play. In my case, I've waited about 10 minutes or so before doing a red button reboot. Next time maybe I'll just let it sit for an hour or so and see if it starts responding again.

It's too bad, but I guess my luck has finally run out with respect to updates not causing any problems on this box. It was inevitable, I suppose.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#152 OFFLINE   red00

red00

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 03:00 PM

She called Monday with nothing. Engineering hadn't gotten around to me yet. Too busy with the HR44. She called again yesterday. Still no engineering response. She said that her and her supervisor had decided to send a technician to my home on the theory that, get this, both my HR23 and HR24 had "gone bad" at the same time, i.e. at the time they downloaded 0x66d, in spite of the fact that they downloaded 0x66d on different days. I reminded her that my HR24 worked again just fine after I forced a download of the old 0x62c software after the first 0x66d download, and that it began to fail again only after the second 0x66d came down again. By "fail" I mean when I press RECORD, the HR23 and 24 freeze up. The HR23 freezes for 60 seconds and the HR23 freezes for 30 seconds. That means the minimum "on-the-fly" recording for the HR23 is 60 seconds and for the HR24 it's 30 seconds. With all other respects, both receivers work absolutely fine. My case worker thinks they may need to be replaced. 3 years of recording on the HR23, 2 years on the HR24.

I was referred to this site (just registered) for the exact same problem you're having when you record- the 'freeze-up'. I have an R22 and this extremely annoying problem started happening immediately after downloading the 0x66d software. This same freeze-up/lockup occurs every time a scheduled ToDoList recording begins to record also. Since this is usually at the time programs change, not being able to change channels or access program info for 1 to 1-1/2 minutes is extremely aggravating. I have reported this to Directv Tech Support, who still are not showing this as a known issue. My case has been escalated to Engineering, but as in the past I don't expect any resolution communication from them. I also posted this issue on the Directv forums.

Now that I see your post, I am convinced that this is a flaw in the 0x66d software and am encouraged that this should soon become a known issue. There must be other people experiencing this problem as well.

Unfortunately, it will probably require a software repair and there is no telling how long it will take them to do it. For such a ridiculous problem that greatly disadvantages the viewing experience, it better be soon. Makes me want to threaten going to the competition.

Do not replace the receivers. Also, I'm curious as to how to force a download of the old software even though from what you said, it doesn't appear to remain stable.

#153 OFFLINE   LiQiCE

LiQiCE

Mentor

• Registered
  • 232 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 12 April 2013 - 03:47 PM

After 3 years of flawless performance from my HR24-500, I've started seeing similar behavior since 0x66d came down a few days ago. The DVR will stop responding completely while video continues to play. In my case, I've waited about 10 minutes or so before doing a red button reboot. Next time maybe I'll just let it sit for an hour or so and see if it starts responding again.

It's too bad, but I guess my luck has finally run out with respect to updates not causing any problems on this box. It was inevitable, I suppose.

Wow, 10 minutes is a long time - mine normally starts responding after less than a minute - but it is really annoying when you want to start fast forwarding or something and it is non-responsive for 20-30 seconds.

Owned: HR44-700, HR24-500

Leased: HR24-100

#154 OFFLINE   LiQiCE

LiQiCE

Mentor

• Registered
  • 232 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 03:49 PM

Tune to Channel 1 and let it sit for at least 30 seconds. This clears some of the background processes and may speed things up. When I notice my DVRs slowing down, I do this and the speed improvement is obvious nearly every time.

It appears that the HR24 (which used to be immune to this kind of problem), is now suffering some of the "not enough processor cycles available" issues that the HR20/21/22/23 series have suffered on and off for years.

Basically, the processor is so busy with assorted tasks that it doesn't have enough "time" to process input fro the remote or change channels.

Hope this helps ya!

...hasan

Thanks! Ironically - I tried switching to channel 1 and letting it sit for a few minutes and when I tried to switch back to a different channel, the HR24-500 was unresponsive for about 10 seconds before finally changing channels. Will see if it clears up now that I've switched to channel 1 for awhile. Maybe I'll switch to channel 1 before going to bed and see if it helps.

#155 OFFLINE   swyman18

swyman18

Legend

• Registered
  • 271 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 04:01 PM

Wow, 10 minutes is a long time - mine normally starts responding after less than a minute - but it is really annoying when you want to start fast forwarding or something and it is non-responsive for 20-30 seconds.

Yeah, maybe our situations are not identical. This has only happened twice since I got the update at the beginning of the week. The speed is pretty quick, but when it stops responding, it seems like there is no recovering.

#156 OFFLINE   bumeister

bumeister

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:16 PM

I have an HR21 that received the upgrade yesterday. I have audio going through a Denon AV receiver and since the upgrade I have no audio on any programs that have Dolby Digital until I go into the settings menu and turn DD off and back on. Then the audio comes back on. I've had the receiver for a few years and this is a new issue.

Well, a reboot seems to have fixed it, DUH, lol.

I just noticed the same issue, it was driving me nuts. Rebooting now, hopefully that will take care of it.

#157 OFFLINE   dd5087

dd5087

Mentor

• Registered
  • 56 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:25 PM

Didn't see any improvement from the channel 1 suggestion. The HR24 is ridiculously slow when using the guide and changing channels. It is intermittent but happens often enough to be really frustrating. Directv please fix! Is there any way to roll back to the previous release?
HR24-200

#158 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,866 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 13 April 2013 - 06:47 PM

Thanks! Ironically - I tried switching to channel 1 and letting it sit for a few minutes and when I tried to switch back to a different channel, the HR24-500 was unresponsive for about 10 seconds before finally changing channels. Will see if it clears up now that I've switched to channel 1 for awhile. Maybe I'll switch to channel 1 before going to bed and see if it helps.

You could always try clearing nvram cache on channel 1 using the colored buttons, Try red,red,blue,blue,yellow,green in that order till you the "nvram cleared" message in white text at the bottom of the screen.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#159 OFFLINE   makaiguy

makaiguy

Icon

• Registered
  • 669 posts
  • LocationAiken, SC

Posted 14 April 2013 - 10:20 AM

You could always try clearing nvram cache on channel 1 using the colored buttons, Try red,red,blue,blue,yellow,green in that order till you the "nvram cleared" message in white text at the bottom of the screen.

Can't do this when you first arrive at Chan 1 - have to let it sit there for some time (30 sec?) first.  If you try too soon, when you get to the blue button in the sequence, it will pop up the normal blue single-channel guide at the bottom.  On mine, when it "takes" the "NVRAM cleared" message is nearly undetectable against the fairly light background in that area.

DirecTV customer since 1997
HR24-500, HR22-100
I don't do buddy/friends lists, don't ask.

#160 OFFLINE   LiQiCE

LiQiCE

Mentor

• Registered
  • 232 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 04:55 PM

Tried this and at first it seemed to help but after a few hours problems came back.  Thought maybe sitting overnight would help - but it seems to be getting worse.  Also like others have reported, pressing the Guide results in the guide screen with an empty black box in the middle where guide data would normally appear.  It is becoming really annoying - my HR23's don't do this and despite them being significantly slower at least they respond all the time - albeit - slowly.  Going to try running a Built in Self Test and see if it helps. Directions for the BIST found here: http://forums.direct...mentID=11020510

Edited by LiQiCE, 15 April 2013 - 05:02 PM.

#161 OFFLINE   dd5087

dd5087

Mentor

• Registered
  • 56 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 15 April 2013 - 05:39 PM

Have tried all the suggestions shown in this topic and nothing improves my DVR-24.  This has to be a result of the latest update.  That's when it started.  I can only hope Directv is working on this because the receiver is just about useless now.  Terrible! Terrible! Terrible!

HR24-200

#162 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,299 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:05 AM

I noticed this morning that I had a minor problem on the HR24.

I was watching a live program, not recorded, and the progress bar was Orange and it was the full length of the program, I was in the middle of the time frame.

I tried to FF and I got the Bonk sound.

I backed up and it did that. I FFd it back to the live where it stopped on it's own.

I then pressed the record button on the program and the bar was still Orange.

I pressed the list button and called up the program. I then pressed the red button to delete the recording.

It deleted it.

When I pressed the Play button the bar is now Green as it is supposed to be.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM, HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#163 OFFLINE   LiQiCE

LiQiCE

Mentor

• Registered
  • 232 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:25 PM

Last night I tried using the BIST and ran all of the tests except for the SMART Long Test and Surface test since they take forever.  Cleared NVRAM after the HR24 booted back up and things seemed to be going well until just now when the Guide took an extended period of time to populate and then just had the HR24 become non-responsive for 30 seconds.

Might try to reboot twice within a 30 minute period to flush the guide data and see if that helps.  But I have a lot of recordings today so I probably won't get to do it today.

I'm tempted to go to the latest Cutting Edge release to see if this will resolve my problem -- it is really unusable the way it is.

#164 OFFLINE   jibberyerkibber

jibberyerkibber

Legend

• Registered
  • 217 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:05 AM

dd5087: "Have tried all the suggestions shown in this topic and nothing improves my DVR-24.  This has to be a result of the latest update.  That's when it started.  I can only hope Directv is working on this because the receiver is just about useless now.  Terrible! Terrible! Terrible!"

Case management couldn't help me over the phone.  They sent a tech to my house.  He checked the HR23 and HR24 and found nothing wrong with them.  He sais I had a 0x66d software problem and recommended I just wait until the next download.

#165 OFFLINE   jibberyerkibber

jibberyerkibber

Legend

• Registered
  • 217 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:39 AM

Another thing about 0x66d.  This was happening before 0x66d with 0x62c, but now it's much worse.  About 75% of the time when I push a button on the remote, my HR24 will execute the command twice.  For example, if I key in channel 2, the HR24 will go to channel 22.  If I scroll a singele line on a list, the HR24 will jump 2 or sometimes even 3 lines.  If I scroll a whole page on a list, the HR24 will jump two pages.  But even worse than that, now with 0x66d, my particular HR24 will quite often react AS IF I pressed the SELECT button when I didn't.  For example, if I go to a LIST and highlight a particular video, the video will start playing on its own AS IF I pressed SELECT when the PLAY option was highlighted on the left screen.  Another example on my HR24 with 0x66d is that when I am trying to set a manual recording, the DVR will act AS IF I pressed SELECT when the highlight is arbitrarily on SET MANUAL for DTVs original default set of options that I don't want but haven't yet had a chance to change to what I actually do want.  Then I have to delete this bogus recording from my TO DO  list.  Please, oh please DTV, lets have 0x66e (or whatever it will be called) soon.  Thanks!

• red00 likes this

#166 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:04 AM

2 out of my 3 HR24-500s now miss the first button push on the remote maybe 75% of the time.  Even after the first button push there is a noticeable 'delay'.

I think it is time for DirecTV to make a change - how do these things keep happening?  How do the CE testers not notice and report these before the 'updates' take working DVRs and turn them into crap?  I just don't get it?

• jibberyerkibber and red00 like this

#167 OFFLINE   jacinkcmo

jacinkcmo

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 76 posts
  • LocationKansas City

Posted 19 April 2013 - 12:22 PM

Bring up the guide. If you see a little white triangle in the upper corner of the channel label this means that On Demand content is available. If so, then left arrow to the channel label and press Info. Now you'll see what's on for the next few days and there is a new entry for On Demand.

At first I thought this was a nice feature.  But then I noticed it is inconsistent - not all channels with on demand content show the triangle, like BBCAHD, NGCHD, NGWHD and some others.  Surely the channels don't have to pay dtv for the triangle.

I grew up in a 3-channel world...and there's often still nothing on I want to watch!

HR44-500 w/ AM-21
HR24-200

#168 OFFLINE   red00

red00

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:31 PM

At first I thought this was a nice feature.  But then I noticed it is inconsistent - not all channels with on demand content show the triangle, like BBCAHD, NGCHD, NGWHD and some others.  Surely the channels don't have to pay dtv for the triangle.

Yes, this is true- also for SD channels as well. Ex. Most of the east/west matching premium channels with VOD show a triangle for both.  Not TMC 554/555.  The triangle is missing for the west channel 555.  Shows the lack of attention to detail that is put into the software updates that seem to cause additional problems every time one is released.

#169 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 12:44 PM

still have the massive wait for optical audio to onkyo ht-r520 at power on.. can take 2-5 minutes to first get audio..

AKA: SMOKE
MRV was all that's left on my wishlist (wishlist done) :D

Protected By... spam firewall...And...