Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Upgrade advice requested

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   stvjohnsn

stvjohnsn

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:42 AM

Fairly long time DTV DVR customer here looking to upgrade when the HR44 comes out. I currently have a slimline dish, 4 RG6 cables to a 6x8 multiswitch feeding 3 TVs with leased HDDVRs. Equipment is as follows:

Family Room:
HR20/700 (2 RG6)
Same cabinet as my modem/router

Bedroom:
HR22 (2 RG6)

Bedroom:
HR22 (2 RG6)

I'm pretty tired of the slow HR22s. The HR20 is OK but getting old. I could run ethernet to the other bedrooms without too much of a problem if there was a benefit to doing so. Decent n wifi is available as well.

Would like some suggestions on the preferred configuration of an upgrade to whole home. What configuration, new equipment required, etc. Ideal for me would have no more slow HR22s involved. Thanks!

Edited by stvjohnsn, 12 February 2013 - 09:56 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,658 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:58 AM

Easy upgrade. The LNB assembly in the dish will be replaced with an SWM LNB, a Genie (HR34 or HR44) would be placed at one of the tv locations, and a C31 client at the other two locations. The 6x8 would be replaced by a splitter and only one coax run on each leg would be used, the other left idle.

You only need LAN access at the Genie location, not the other locations. No need to run ethernet wiring.

If you want to keep the HR20, you can do that also. If you use OTA on the HR20, then you would want to keep it.

#3 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:04 AM

Assuming you want to keep the DVRs at two of the 3 locations, you'd have an HR34 (5 tuners) and 2 HR22s (4 tuners combined) for a total of 9 tuners. In that case, a SWM LNB will not work, since it supports a max of 8 tuners. In that case, the 6x8 switch would be replaced with a SMW-16 switch.

Of course, even if you don't go over 8 tuners, it might be simpler to replace the 6x8 with SWM-8. That eliminates the need to realign the dish after LNB replacement.

In any case, you'll only need one RG-6 connection at each unit once you switch over to SWM.
Dish Network Customer from 1998-2001
DirecTV Customer since October, 2001
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

#4 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,658 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:10 AM

As Diana C notes, there are other configuration options. I was pointing out what would most likely happen if you order/upgrade through DirecTV, and assumed you would not keep either of your HR22's (based on your expressed dissatisfaction with them).

If you do the work yourself, I would agree with replacing the WB68 with an SWM8, just easier to do than accessing the dish and replacing the LNB. But if DirecTV does the work, and your tuner count stays at 8 or lower, they will probably replace the LNB. The fact that you already have 4 coax from the dish makes it easy to go either way (SWM LNB or SWM8 or SWM16 if you end up with more than 8 tuners).

#5 OFFLINE   stvjohnsn

stvjohnsn

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:43 AM

Thanks. That helps. I definitely don't need more than 7 tuners so maybe just keep the HR20. Am I losing any features by switching the HR22 out for the C31 (other than the obvious 2 tuners and storage space)?

But if I already have the 4 coax from the dish...why would DTV bother to replace the LNB? Is that less expensive?

Would it makes sense then just to tell DTV I want to replace one HR22 with an HR34? Then they'd have to use the switch, which would future-proof me somewhat. Right?

spam firewall