Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Intel just announced they will have TV service

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,192 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:28 PM

They said it would be in the later half of the year.
Live TV will be stored and not have to be recorded unless you are wanting to watch it more than 7 days after it's initial showing.
This was on CNBC just a couple of minutes ago.
They called it "Over the Top TV".

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,026 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:18 PM

I don't remember if this was discussed here or on another forum but...

Intel's plan, if successful, would go further than products currently offered by Apple, Amazon and Netflix by offering live programming as well as on-demand content.

Intel's set-top-box will also have a camera that could be used to automatically steer content and ads toward specific users.

Source

My Setup

#3 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:39 PM

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=211648

#4 OFFLINE   unixguru

unixguru

Godfather

• Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:51 PM

My opinion is that Intel is setting up another failure.

If its not a "value play" then the limitations of the internet will make it a failed play. It is possible that smaller bundles might reduce costs for many consumers. I hope it does because that will force sat and cable to shift to smaller bundles too.

The camera is spooky if you ask me. My Sony TV has a camera too and as a result it isn't connected to the internet :)

#5 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:54 PM

Ridiculous. Content owners are still going to want to bundle their product. Not to mention the bit-starved crud that Intel will likely offer...if they ever even do.
DTV = Digital Television

#6 OFFLINE   pfp

pfp

Whatever

• Registered
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:56 PM

simple fix for the camera

http://s7d5.scene7.c...8_sc7?$splssku$
I do, I offer a complete and utter retraction. The imputation was totally without basis in fact, and was in no way fair comment, and was motivated purely by malice, and I deeply regret any distress that my comments may have caused you, or your family, and I hereby undertake not to repeat any such slander at any time in the future.

#7 OFFLINE   unixguru

unixguru

Godfather

• Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:00 PM

Article:

service would be centered on a set-top box and would offer smaller bundles than those currently offered by cable operators, tailored to what customers want

A buffet of smaller bundles could reduce consumer costs for many. If this service doesn't then I don't think it will be successful.

#8 OFFLINE   unixguru

unixguru

Godfather

• Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:06 PM

simple fix for the camera

My Sony TV also has a camera. I got some blackout (not the ones that just dim) stickers from LightDims thinking that would do the trick; it didn't. The camera could still see an awful lot. (With my TV it will show what the camera is seeing on a setup screen.)

I've been meaning to try black electrical tape but for the moment I simply have the internet disconnected from the TV.

At least Intel tells people there is a camera. Sony doesn't; I found it by accident digging through setup menus. I wonder how many other products there are with cameras that nobody knows about? :eek2:

#9 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,524 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:31 PM

Tape will work if the camera on a TV is in the frame, but I've heard that some of them are behind the screen, somewhere.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#10 OFFLINE   Pepe Sylvia

Pepe Sylvia

Legend

• Registered
  • 153 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:47 PM

Intel's set-top-box will also have a camera that could be used to automatically steer content and ads toward specific users.

*Fudge* that! I'm going to give up my privacy for what? So you can sell stuff to me? What a ridiculous idea.

spam firewall