Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

C31 Mini Genie Client 0x0710/711/716 - Issues/Discussion

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   keebler21

keebler21

Mentor

• Registered
  • 87 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:28 AM

I recently tried something in the last week that may help others....  I've been having problems with my C31's for months being slow and not being able to pause on demand... it would take up to 5 minutes to pause, which was the most frustrating part for me.  Last Monday, I was reading somewhere about someone having different problems that may have been related to the CCK hooked up... and I also have my HR34 hooked up to Ethernet by the way and disconnecting the CCK.   So last Monday when my HR34 locked up and had to do a reboot - I decided to try unplugging the CCK from power and go for a while without it to see how my C31's performed.  Once the system was backup everything was working great but I've had similar success for a day or two at most in the past before the slow down issues would return.  Well it's been a week now and I'm still having amazing response time and pausing immediately when I hit the button and think the CCK was holding me up, I'm really happy how great everything has been working and how it should be.  Since I already have my HR34 hooked to Ethernet, really no reason to hook the CCK back up.  I'm really amazed that someone hasn't suggested this earlier or seen this type of problem also.  Hopefully this might help someone else out with similar problems.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,998 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:35 AM

I recently tried something in the last week that may help others....  I've been having problems with my C31's for months being slow and not being able to pause on demand... it would take up to 5 minutes to pause, which was the most frustrating part for me.  Last Monday, I was reading somewhere about someone having different problems that may have been related to the CCK hooked up... and I also have my HR34 hooked up to Ethernet by the way and disconnecting the CCK.   So last Monday when my HR34 locked up and had to do a reboot - I decided to try unplugging the CCK from power and go for a while without it to see how my C31's performed.  Once the system was backup everything was working great but I've had similar success for a day or two at most in the past before the slow down issues would return.  Well it's been a week now and I'm still having amazing response time and pausing immediately when I hit the button and think the CCK was holding me up, I'm really happy how great everything has been working and how it should be.  Since I already have my HR34 hooked to Ethernet, really no reason to hook the CCK back up.  I'm really amazed that someone hasn't suggested this earlier or seen this type of problem also.  Hopefully this might help someone else out with similar problems.

If you had both the ethernet connection on the HR34 to your network AND the CCK connected that was the problem. That creates all sorts of problems by having two different paths into the MoCA/DECA network, it's always one or the othere connection but never both.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#23 OFFLINE   keebler21

keebler21

Mentor

• Registered
  • 87 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:38 AM

If you had both the ethernet connection on the HR34 to your network AND the CCK connected that was the problem. That creates all sorts of problems by having two different paths into the MoCA/DECA network, it's always one or the othere connection but never both.

Thanks for clarifying - I've never heard that before or seen that.  So in theory - it should work good the other way with the CCK but not the Ethernet as well.

Edited by keebler21, 05 August 2013 - 09:38 AM.

#24 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,998 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:44 AM

Thanks for clarifying - I've never heard that before or seen that.  So in theory - it should work good the other way with the CCK but not the Ethernet as well.

Correct.

#25 OFFLINE   keebler21

keebler21

Mentor

• Registered
  • 87 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:07 AM

Correct.

So let me ask this then... Does one have an advantage over the other or is the CCK purely for those that don't have Ethernet ability near there genie?

#26 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,998 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 11:21 AM

So let me ask this then... Does one have an advantage over the other or is the CCK purely for those that don't have Ethernet ability near there genie?

Depending on who answers your get answers going each way. On one hand some folks prefer using the HR34/HR44's internal adapter just so there's less wiring and external components. Since I have other devices on the DIRECTV DECA network that could be using the ethernet connection, like a HD DVR that's downloading a DoD program I prefer the external DECA so if the HR34/HR44 goes down I don't lose the connection.

#27 OFFLINE   adamson

adamson

Godfather

• Registered
  • 510 posts
  • LocationN Central Florida

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:48 AM

The C41-500 was swapped out by directv and replaced with a C41-100. Both C41-100's reporting correct mac address to my network. Just to follow up...anybody else seeing an incorrect mac address from your C41-500 client on your network?

HR44-700 C41W-100 C41W-100, Choice Package, NFL ST, Distant Networks ABC CBS NBC FOX East/West

#28 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,241 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 07 August 2013 - 09:28 AM

I have not knowingly eschewed responding to Mr. Adamson, but I am not sure what the question really is. Is something really not working? If so, what?

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#29 OFFLINE   adamson

adamson

Godfather

• Registered
  • 510 posts
  • LocationN Central Florida

Posted 07 August 2013 - 11:31 AM

Nothing was wrong with my install, perfectionist is what I am...ya its bad! The C41-500 did work fine but it was not perfect because of an incorrect mac address issue.

HR44-700 C41W-100 C41W-100, Choice Package, NFL ST, Distant Networks ABC CBS NBC FOX East/West

#30 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,241 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 11:58 AM

Well, perfection is as perfection does! 

So, the error was showing the wrong MAC address even though everything worked! Waaaaay better than the right MAC addy and not working! 

Tx. for the reply. 

Sent from my Mac.

#31 OFFLINE   spidey

spidey

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 12:43 PM

My mini genie is showing some of its menus in spanish.  The installer thought once it refreshed its SW it be okay but still seeing various menus in spanish.  

#32 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,746 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 12 August 2013 - 08:05 PM

My mini genie is showing some of its menus in spanish. The installer thought once it refreshed its SW it be okay but still seeing various menus in spanish.

Have you tried doing a factory reset? Press the power button (the DirecTV logo) for 12 seconds. see if that helps
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#33 OFFLINE   spidey

spidey

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 10:23 AM

Have you tried doing a factory reset? Press the power button (the DirecTV logo) for 12 seconds. see if that helps

yes just tried it. Push menu everything is English. Settings and he,p all English. Info and test English. Display submenu English. Preferences all englis. Select vidoe and that submenu is all Spanish but than turns preferences to Spanish till ya go back.

#34 OFFLINE   keebler21

keebler21

Mentor

• Registered
  • 87 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 15 August 2013 - 08:57 AM

Anyone know why this is still listed as the current version?  I've been on version 717 for both my C31's for about a month or two now... just curious. 

#35 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,998 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 09:06 AM

Anyone know why this is still listed as the current version?  I've been on version 717 for both my C31's for about a month or two now... just curious. 

That's what is on mine and the firmware monitor shows that as the current version.

#36 OFFLINE   sgkane

sgkane

• Registered
  • 1 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 20 September 2013 - 06:10 PM

I've posted this to the Directv tech forum but have received no reply.  I've followed these forums for years and appreciate the talent that participates.  Hopefully someone can assist.

I have what I think is a strange issue.  I have recently had an HR-34 and client installed (10 days ago).  This week, suddenly, I've had strange issues with the C-31 client.

It started when, upon turning on the TV and the client with the Directv remote, the client was woken up from power save mode.  I would click OK, and the client would then turn off.  After viewing these boards, I then turned off power save on both the HR-34 and the client.  I have also reset both the client and the HR-34 many times.

Now, whenever I turn on the client, after a couple of seconds (when the TV accepts the signal) it turns itself off.  Conversely, now, when I turn off the client, it turns itself back ON after a few seconds.  Very weird.  I do not have this issue with the HR-34, just the client.

The client is connected to the TV via HDMI, if that helps.

Any advice is appreciated.  Thank you in advance.

#37 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,241 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 09:48 AM

I am also experiencing some weirdness similar to this, and haven't figured it all out, but sometimes holding my hand over the end of the remote (to block the IR signal) and letting the RF signal go through puts them back in synch.

#38 OFFLINE   AndrewSi

AndrewSi

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 01:29 PM

I have found what I think may be a previously unreported bug with the C31.  I only upgraded to the Genie and mini-clients a few weeks ago, but to my chagrin they gave me the "old" models, the guy said they needed to clear their inventory of the older models before they could start giving out the new ones. :-(  Anyway, just discovered this last night.

On one of my mini-Genie receivers, (C31), it is connected via HDMI to an Onkyo receiver (let's call it a TXNR606 for the sake of discussion, it's actually a 626, but the remote codes are the same), which passes it on to a Sony LCD TV (KDL40VL160, I think).  Anyway, the goal of the exercise is to go to Menu->Settings->Remote Control->Program Remote->Advanced and set up the Volume Lock feature so that the remote will use the Onkyo for ordinary volume up/volume down activity rather than the Sony's codes.  So I go through the process to set AV1 on the remote to the Onkyo, and TV to the Sony codes, and I have verified that each works fine when moving the remote switch on the top - it can control the volume for either device if you take the time to move the switch.

Here's the bug:

When you go into the Volume Lock screen, it shows you both the Onkyo and the Sony TV (and disable Volume Lock) as the radio button choices on the left side of the screen.  The Sony is selected by default.  You CANNOT navigate the highlight to the Onkyo choice and have the unit reprogram the remote to behave accordingly.  You can only select the Sony, or disable, the highlight skips over the Onkyo radio button when you try.

FWIW, the remote is in IR mode, not RF.

Sigh.

Edited by AndrewSi, 01 October 2013 - 01:30 PM.

#39 OFFLINE   HuskerHarley

HuskerHarley

AllStar

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 02:57 PM

I have found what I think may be a previously unreported bug with the C31.  I only upgraded to the Genie and mini-clients a few weeks ago, but to my chagrin they gave me the "old" models, the guy said they needed to clear their inventory of the older models before they could start giving out the new ones. :-(  Anyway, just discovered this last night.

On one of my mini-Genie receivers, (C31), it is connected via HDMI to an Onkyo receiver (let's call it a TXNR606 for the sake of discussion, it's actually a 626, but the remote codes are the same), which passes it on to a Sony LCD TV (KDL40VL160, I think).  Anyway, the goal of the exercise is to go to Menu->Settings->Remote Control->Program Remote->Advanced and set up the Volume Lock feature so that the remote will use the Onkyo for ordinary volume up/volume down activity rather than the Sony's codes.  So I go through the process to set AV1 on the remote to the Onkyo, and TV to the Sony codes, and I have verified that each works fine when moving the remote switch on the top - it can control the volume for either device if you take the time to move the switch.

Here's the bug:

When you go into the Volume Lock screen, it shows you both the Onkyo and the Sony TV (and disable Volume Lock) as the radio button choices on the left side of the screen.  The Sony is selected by default.  You CANNOT navigate the highlight to the Onkyo choice and have the unit reprogram the remote to behave accordingly.  You can only select the Sony, or disable, the highlight skips over the Onkyo radio button when you try.

FWIW, the remote is in IR mode, not RF.

Sigh.

I had to get a different model of remote, I have in my house a RC65RX, RC66, RC65X, I forgot what the model # remote came with the Genie (I sent it back), but I had the same problem as you until, I had the proper remote that would unlock the menus correctly. 

#40 OFFLINE   AndrewSi

AndrewSi

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 03:01 PM

I'll have to check what model I have, but I verified that the remote does work properly over RF with the Genie clients, which I think means it's the "right" kind since older RF remotes supposedly don't work with the Genie units from what I've read.  I'll see if any of the other remotes in the house can do the right thing, on the off chance that it's the remote itself, but my problem is that I can't even navigate to the correct radio button on the screen!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...