Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

NHLCI and CSN Philly

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   wilsonc

wilsonc

Legend

• Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:33 PM

Since when did D* start using a CSN Philly feed for Center Ice? I thought for sure the feed for tonight's Flyers at Jets feed was going to be TSN-Jets.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Grafixguy

Grafixguy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 376 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:46 PM

Since when did D* start using a CSN Philly feed for Center Ice? I thought for sure the feed for tonight's Flyers at Jets feed was going to be TSN-Jets.

It's a rare treat. Enjoy it.

#3 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,694 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:47 PM

They maybe using it because its available in HD. They have used them in the past.

#4 OFFLINE   wilsonc

wilsonc

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:57 PM

It's a rare treat. Enjoy it.

I was hoping to get TSN-Jets. But, that apparently is even a more rare treat. I just mute the broadcast and listen to the radio feed for Winnipeg, using the DVR to line up the TV with the radio feed. D* seems to be using the backhaul and not the actual CSN-Philly feed. All commercials are D* and no CSN-Philly intermission chatter.

#5 OFFLINE   metallo

metallo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:35 PM

I find the backhaul feed to be a rare treat. D* CI used to have them frequently when there were far fewer games on RSNs. Often there were no commericals or just poorly placed D* commercials, as there are tonight. The feed was left open for most of the first intermission. Reminds me of the old days :)

#6 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,390 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:25 AM

If you like feeds like that, check out ESPN3D's live basketball telecasts.

#7 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,390 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:26 AM

Blacked out in Philly, of course.

#8 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,693 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:23 PM

I love getting as much hockey in HD as possible on D*, but the main Flyer's announcer is terribly annoying. He likes to scream when anything happens in the game (almost as bad a Doc Emerick) and my wife kept asking "who is that moron?!?". Makes me dislike Comcrap even more. I also noticed it was a backhaul due to nothing but D* commercials and PSAs.

Seems D* gets a CSN Philly feed on rare occasions when another feed is not available. CSN Philly feeds for Phillies games are much more common on MLB EI than Flyers games on NHL CI. Maybe MLB has different RSN feed requirements for EI than the NHL has for CI?? Also, curious how D* is getting that feed since Comcrap and D* can't come to terms to carry CSN Philly. Does the RSN supply their HD feed to the NHL somehow and then the NHL supplies it (via sat or fiber) to the various CI carriers?
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#9 OFFLINE   lokar

lokar

Icon

• Registered
  • 658 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:42 PM

Seems D* gets a CSN Philly feed on rare occasions when another feed is not available. CSN Philly feeds for Phillies games are much more common on MLB EI than Flyers games on NHL CI.

I have wondered this myself and would love for a D* employee to give the actual answer. About once a year a Philly HD feed is used when no other HD feed is available but there are several other instances throughout the year where there aren't any non-Philly HD broadcasts available for a game and yet you don't see Philly being used.

#10 OFFLINE   cmasia

cmasia

Icon

• Registered
  • 655 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:31 PM

I love getting as much hockey in HD as possible on D*, but the main Flyer's announcer is terribly annoying. He likes to scream when anything happens in the game (almost as bad a Doc Emerick) and my wife kept asking "who is that moron?!?". Makes me dislike Comcrap even more. I also noticed it was a backhaul due to nothing but D* commercials and PSAs.

Seems D* gets a CSN Philly feed on rare occasions when another feed is not available. CSN Philly feeds for Phillies games are much more common on MLB EI than Flyers games on NHL CI. Maybe MLB has different RSN feed requirements for EI than the NHL has for CI?? Also, curious how D* is getting that feed since Comcrap and D* can't come to terms to carry CSN Philly. Does the RSN supply their HD feed to the NHL somehow and then the NHL supplies it (via sat or fiber) to the various CI carriers?

Hi n3ntj.

3 things.

1) The Flyers play by play is beyond awful. He sounds like Jerry Seinfeld on a roller coaster before he hit puberty.

2) I think D* grabbed the Flyers' raw feed from Winnipeg Tuesday. And that's why they threw all their commercials in.

3) I was hoping we were going to get the TSN Jets feed.

Cheers,
cmasia

spam firewall