Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

question for elderly friend

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   jsk

jsk

Icon

• Registered
  • 736 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:33 PM

You might need another TV if you can't fix it using the controls on the TV. If money is an issue, you can usually pick up an old CRT TV for $20 at Goodwill or a consignment shop.
Dish Player DVR 722K with OTA module connected to the Eastern Arc

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#22 OFFLINE   AZ.

AZ.

Legend

• Registered
  • 139 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:01 PM

so she is doomed with cone heads unless she can upgrade? Where she has had the box for so long will dish upgrade it if she tells them what is going on?

hook up any kind of cheezy antenna, use the tuner and I'll bet if you even get a fuzzy picture, it will be the same...It the TV...or hook another TV to the 522 and see what happens....

Pain yes, but you will know were the problem lies..

#23 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 811 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:33 PM

I believe if the tv is 4:3, It'll have bars.

Model number should be on the rear of tv. Google it.

Bet it's 4:3.

#24 ONLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:20 PM

hook up any kind of cheezy antenna, use the tuner and I'll bet if you even get a fuzzy picture, it will be the same...It the TV...or hook another TV to the 522 and see what happens....

Pain yes, but you will know were the problem lies..

If the tv doesn't have a digital tuner, this probably won't work since it wouldn't be able to get anything except maybe a low power channel if it's within range.

#25 OFFLINE   AZ.

AZ.

Legend

• Registered
  • 139 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:18 PM

If the tv doesn't have a digital tuner, this probably won't work since it wouldn't be able to get anything except maybe a low power channel if it's within range.

Its old IT WILL HAVE A TUNER....can you tell me the last 4:3 TV that didnt????

If it was a monitor it would be VGA.

#26 ONLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:08 PM

Its old IT WILL HAVE A TUNER....can you tell me the last 4:3 TV that didnt????

If it was a monitor it would be VGA.

If the tv is very old, it may only have an analog tuner (believe me I know as my mother has two analog only tv's still in use at her home and I am still making use of one I had for almost 25 years), newer tvs could have analog tuner and digital tuner. OTA broadcasts have not had analog transmissions for some time now, so if the tv only has analog it will not receive digital signals so the antenna idea will not work. We unfortunately have no way of knowing what the tv accepts unless the OP checks with his elderly friend. He has only stated the tv may be 10 - 12 years old, many tv's back then only had analog. It may well be the tv is even older than that.

#27 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 811 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:32 AM

If the tv is very old, it may only have an analog tuner (believe me I know as my mother has two analog only tv's still in use at her home and I am still making use of one I had for almost 25 years), newer tvs could have analog tuner and digital tuner. OTA broadcasts have not had analog transmissions for some time now, so if the tv only has analog it will not receive digital signals so the antenna idea will not work. We unfortunately have no way of knowing what the tv accepts unless the OP checks with his elderly friend. He has only stated the tv may be 10 - 12 years old, many tv's back then only had analog. It may well be the tv is even older than that.

+1
It's an ATSC tuner.
I've got a 11 year old JVC that required a digital converter box when the goverment made the switch.:)

#28 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:57 AM

+1
It's an ATSC tuner.
I've got a 11 year old JVC that required a digital converter box when the goverment made the switch.:)

Are you confusing NTSC with ATSC 10 years ago most tuners were NTSC.

#29 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 811 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:03 PM

Are you confusing NTSC with ATSC 10 years ago most tuners were NTSC.

Well, I was under the impression that the digital converter boxes were ATSC tuners.

The old jvc had the NTSC.

I should have been more clear, meaning the ATSC tuner is digital [ HD]

Edited by satcrazy, 21 February 2013 - 12:49 PM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...